LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

What was Jeff Garcia's early career with the 49ers like?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Garcia was great. He was an ultimate competitor. The only thing was towards the end of his 49er stint, T.O. Called him a homo, and he was never the same. But Garcia was just 3inches short on a throw to T.O. in the playoffs one year and that cost us the game. He had great moments at Candlestick. But the one thing that stuck out in my mind was that throw in the playoffs, I think it was against the falcons when they went to the superbowl, he thru a deep ball to Owens that was like 3 inches underthrown. That's the closet he got to the Superbowl.

That throw was perfect in Green Bay. Owens slowed down for a split second. Watch the tape if you still have it. It was quite memorable for me.

I think you are confusing Garcia and Young or Atlanta and Green Bay.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Robert:
Yup that was Young. Garcia's two stints in the playoff ended at Lambeau and Tampa. And no one throw would have won either of those for us, unfortunately.

Well, if they had connected on the long potential TD throw to Owens that he slowed down they would have had a chance still. The Tampa Bay game wasnt close.
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Great quarter back but sucked at da deep ball. Da end.

Not true. His problem was his lack of height. Most folks don`t know he won the NFL QB competition when participating in it... including the longest throw (70+ yards).

He also had an unorthodox delivery at times and moved around the pocket a lot (because of his height).
I remember him getting blasted by talking head tough guy color commentators and fans because he had happy feet. His style was against the prevailing idea that QBs should be tall, strong-armed and immobile.

The first time I saw him he got away from some defenders and actually threw a jump pass. He was great.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Not true. His problem was his lack of height. Most folks don`t know he won the NFL QB competition when participating in it... including the longest throw (70+ yards).

He also had an unorthodox delivery at times and moved around the pocket a lot (because of his height).

If its his arm or height, win it came down to it he couldn't connect on the deep pass accurately during games especially when we really needed the completion. Heck that's part of the reason T.O. didn't like'em & part of the reason why T.O. made sure where ever he went the qb had deep ball accuracy.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
No one was sold on Garcia when Walsh brought him over from Canada. If we had a Niner board at the time, there would be a lot of WTF!? I heard Mariucci gave him time in practice but it wasn't good. He was on the smallish side who looked like he can't take a hit. His thrown ball was ugly short, medium, or long. I'm sure Walsh had to do some major selling to the coaching staff just to get Garcia on the football field. When he did get a chance on the football field he was OK at best, and actually stunk it up so badly, he was bench...I want to say 2 games? They end up putting him back in because Stenstrum or who ever it was at the time was even worse. But the lights went on for Garcia after the benching, and he end up very consistent, mobile, and very heady. His ball was still terrible looking, but they get there to the receivers. For those who didn't get to see him play, watch some of the old highlights. There was rarely any tight spirals, but you can here it quacking towards the tv screen into the receivers hands for a TD. He was at his best the last 2 minutes of the half or the end of the game. During those minutes, it was almost like playground football to him.

Walsh spoke highly of Garcia. Saying he won the Gray Cup of Canadian League football and had caught Walsh's eyes in one of the bowl game against Walsh's team. Like everyone else at the time, I just thought Walsh was so desperate for a qb and off his rocker.

IIRC Garcia's dad was a coach at SJSU and knew Walsh through the local coaching circles, and he landed on the team as something of a favor. I'm sure Walsh also saw him play in college more than any other pro coach.

Also, not that it matters, but I think his original rating in Madden was 58 overall or something like that.

Only 9er QB to throw for 30 TDs in 2 consecutive seasons.
[ Edited by Digger on Sep 2, 2011 at 8:05 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Garcia was great. He was an ultimate competitor. The only thing was towards the end of his 49er stint, T.O. Called him a homo, and he was never the same. But Garcia was just 3inches short on a throw to T.O. in the playoffs one year and that cost us the game. He had great moments at Candlestick. But the one thing that stuck out in my mind was that throw in the playoffs, I think it was against the falcons when they went to the superbowl, he thru a deep ball to Owens that was like 3 inches underthrown. That's the closet he got to the Superbowl.

I think when TO looks back on his career, he'll regret what he said about Jeff. Especially in light of how things went down with McNabb (a vastly more talented QB, but with half the heart, and maybe a quarter of the sack). I know deep down that TO knows that out of all the QBs who threw to him, Garcia might not have been the most gifted, but you really couldn't question his guts or his level of heart, and I think TO as a true competitor will always respect that about Jeff.
[ Edited by kray28 on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by kray28:

I think when TO looks back on his career, he'll regret what he said about Jeff. Especially in light of how things went down with McNabb (a vastly more talented QB, but with half the heart, and maybe a quarter of the sack). I know deep down that TO knows that out of all the QBs who threw to him, Garcia might not have been the most gifted, but you really couldn't question his guts or his level of heart, and I think TO as a true competitor will always respect that about Jeff.
Still though.....he respected the guy, but still calling him a Homo infront of the press....that right there, Jeff never got over that.....heard last night he's in good shape, and still thinks he can start for the Niners...hahaha, gotta love his competitiveness....
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I think Jeff, even his dotage now, would be a better option than any of the QBs on our current roster. Sad, but true. Not even saying he's a viable option, but it's more a reflection of what we've got now, versus the memory of the now distant past.

I for one, will always have a great deal of respect for Jeff Garcia...not out greatest QB by a long shot, but the dude had some serious heart, and I will always love that in a player.
Share 49ersWebzone