There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ESPN Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks (Alex Smith #28)

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

I'm incredibly frightened.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
after all these years its the same Alex fanboys, STILL trying to discredit other QBs who are better than Alex...BUT apparently praise boy wonder.

SO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT ALEX IS THE REASON WE WON MOST OF THOSE 19 GAMES????? BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO GIVE HASSELBECK HIS DUE FOR THAT WIN. THAT WIN AGAINST THE SUPERBOWL CHAMPS?...but only credit for returning from injury?

You say that it was the running game and good defense that should get the credit for that playoff win.....yet it has been Frank Gore and our Defense that have contributed to this team WAY more than what Alex has ever done. ALEX SMITH HAS HELD THIS TEAM BACK! You can ignore it...you can blame the Oline...you can blame the coaches....the GM...or the footballs for being too slippery....but I think most non-delusional 9er fans know Alex is the main reason for our struggles.

Frank Gore is a WAY better RB than Alex is a QB
Vernon Davis is a WAY better TE than Alex is a QB
heck Josh Morgan is a better WR than Alex is a QB
and the list can go on.

These offensive players were able to produce with Shaun Hill at QB.....but tell me if we didn't have Frank Gore and Vernon and others...if it was Alex with other average players, tell me we would get the same production. WE WOULD NOT.

Man you obviously either a) didn't read his post or b) read it with the filter of "OTC is an Alex lover and anything he says will be interpreted as such."

You're an insightful poster so I'll just assume it was B.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

I'm incredibly frightened.

Man you obviously either a) didn't read his post or b) read it with the filter of "OTC is an Alex lover and anything he says will be interpreted as such."

Without Vernon Davis and Frank Gore Alex Smith would probably throw 1 touchdown and 11 picks next season.....oh wait...thats right.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:24 PM ]
f**k the mods
I'm starting to think this thread I've started will not last long! Should of known better!
You don't compare Alex to a proven player like Hasselbeck with stats. You compare them this way:

If Hasselbeck were on this team, who would be the starter, Alex or Matt?

That's why he's ranked higher.

Without Vernon Davis and Frank Gore Alex Smith would probably throw 1 touchdown and 11 picks next season.

Um okay. And without your fingers you wouldn't be able to type something that obvious so what's your point? You could say that about any QB. "Without ____ they would only have______."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANOTHER ALEX SMITH THREAD
I hate Alex's guts but I'll take him over Campbell or Henne any day. Everybody else above him deserves to be there.
Um okay. And without your fingers you wouldn't be able to type something that obvious so what's your point? You could say that about any QB. "Without ____ they would only have______."

Not really. (It was a joke about his rookie season) but I will elaborate.

Without Marvin Harrison Peyton Manning would only have 4000 yards and 30 touchdowns

Without Jerimichael Finley Aaron Rodgers would only have a superbowl.

Without Vernon Davis Alex Smith would be out of the league by now.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:32 PM ]
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
I'm starting to think this thread I've started will not last long! Should of known better!

If mods just shut down threads because of something like that then this is not a real forum
anyway...who cares where Alex is ranked? We all know he is somewhere in that range.

The more interesting problem with this list is: if there are 13 elite QB's, are there really any elite QB's? And has Sam Bradford done enough to be listed just outside this bloated elite?

Without Vernon Davis and Frank Gore Alex Smith would probably throw 1 touchdown and 11 picks next season.

well, Tom Brady didn't have known players on offense when they first won their Super Bowl.....Sam Bradford lost his #1 WR early in the season....and then the Rams traded for Mark Clayton...and then They lost him for the season...but Bradford still looked good with that team, as well as being a damn rookie.

not every QB in this league has a Probowl RB, ProBowl TE, vet WRs, and above average Backup TE.

and heck this year, you can add another ProBowl WR to that list.....we'll see how Alex looks.
Originally posted by susweel:
That is highly debatable because its never happened yet in his career.

Originally posted by fister30:
Analysis: 49ers fans are getting the seven-year itch for a new quarterback. It's been seven years, seven offensive coordinators, 19 victories and no playoffs during the Smith years in San Francisco.

damn not thats just truly sad

and still people are making excuses for this loser.

There is no chance of another FA QB coming in at this point of the season. Alex can play well enough for the niners to be successful. This team will live and die by what their defense can do.

That is highly debatable because its never happened yet in his career.

To each his own. I think the defense has improved enough and the running game will compensate for the occasional late throw, misplaced throw or the other common Alex plays. The niners need Alex to be average and they have a chance in the West. JMO
He's not great. But I don't think he is that bad either. He's improved the last few years. I'd put him around 15 - 20 range. He's about "mid-league."