LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

How come nobody believes in this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's preseason.
Unfortunately, the coaches are still installing the offense because of the lockout and shortened off season.
The west coast offense isn't the easiest for any position to just pick up... this isn't Jimmy Raye's offense.
I think we'll start out slow, and improve over the course of the season.
I think we'll finish at 8-8 or possibly 9-7.
[ Edited by FILTHpigskin on Aug 31, 2011 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
It's preseason.
Unfortunately, the coaches are still installing the offense because of the lockout and shortened off season.
The west coast offense isn't the easiest for any position to just pick up... this isn't Jimmy Raye's offense.

So, by this theory, we should have came out guns blazing and in midseason form since Raye's offense was easier to learn. ALL offenses are complicated but not all teams look like crap during an offensive philosophical change has occured. What helps more with success in ANY offense is to actually apply it with a consistent group. That is something we haven't done.
Eh none of us dont have a clue to what we have. I think when the bye week comes we all will have a better understanding on how the team looks. The O-line looks like crap but it is what it is. They seem to run block very well but not pass blocking. I sure hope were not going to run, run, pass, punt all over again. I think Harbaugh is going to be a good HC. It is so hard to even guess on the win - loss thing. Looking at it I can see us winning a couple of games and I also can see with just a little luck they could win ten games. We all are tired of losing and the one thing I want to see is CHANGE but I hope its not like the Bush/Nobama change.
I believe in this team.

No one wants to get their hopes up or over-hyped only to be let down which happens every season for the last 10 years. It's easier to laugh at this team and be negative that way it hurts less when they do suck and we can all say i told you so.
To somewhat answer the question posed by the OP: Because Jed York hasn't *yet* given us a reason to believe. I think, optimistically, though, that we are watching him "grow up" before our eyes. Time will tell.
I believe! I'm actually happy the media is shunning us, as well as our own fans. The media loved us the last 2 years and we have squat to show for it. The roster's better and the coaching is better. It stands to reason that our team will be better.
Originally posted by Liontech:
To somewhat answer the question posed by the OP: Because Jed York hasn't *yet* given us a reason to believe. I think, optimistically, though, that we are watching him "grow up" before our eyes. Time will tell.

i still don't understand the "i don't believe in this team because of the Yorks" reasoning.

I mean, Jed did got out and get the "hottest" coaching candidate. A lot us applauded that move. He hired Baalke, which is certainly a mixed bag at this point. But other than that, he has no effect on the play on the field. In terms of "reasons to believe," I think going out and getting Harbaugh shows the commitment to winning that was absent when Dr. York was the man-in-charge. All other decisions fall to Harbaugh and Baalke--and its fine to be critical or leery of those guys and their decisions, and that does eventually funnel back up to Jed, but, still, I fail to see how, at this stage, the ownership is standing in the way of our success.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
The general consensus on this board is that we will finish with 6 wins or less. Now before I go on my rant, I am going to try and separate this thread from the rest. If I feel everything I am about to say has been said a million times, I will post it in the appropriate thread.

Disclaimer:
THIS IS A POSITIVE THREAD. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT THE 49ERS, JIM HARBAUGH, THE OL, THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL. THERE ARE ALREADY PLENTY OF NEGATIVE THREADS THAT STRESS HOW WE SUCK RIGHT NOW. FOR ONCE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE REASONS WHY THE 49ERS WILL BE SUCCESSFUL THIS SEASON.

Here are my reasons:

Jim Harbaugh has swag. Obviously we don't know if JH will be successful yet. We only have our gut feeling at this point. I feel that everything JH has done up to this point has been better when Nolan and Sing were in their first years. I can just feel it. Call it charisma or whatever, but when I watch his press conferences I can see in his eyes a "Just wait and see" mentality. Now I know what you're thinking, Sing said "Just wait" many times, but JH doesn't have to. His awkwardness at the podium, his upbeat tempo during TC practices shows me he knows what he's doing. I read an article that says JH would be denied the opportunity to have a well organized TC because of the lockout, not because he is a bad coach. I beg to differ though, I think he is that good of a coach that he is utilizing every minute of everyday to get better and thus having a great TC. Right now ninertalk is in a franzy because everyone seems to think Harbaugh is in over his head, he doesn't know what he's doing yet because he is a rookie HC, he doesn't know how to handle his players in pre-season games, and doesn't know how to handle the media. I actually like the way he handles the media. Often times Nolan and Sing said too much to the media to overhype our team and made us the preseaon favorites to win the NFC West every year, only to be bitten by reality by midseason. Nolan and Sing also had the mentality to be Pre-Season champs and win every game only to start 0-5 during the regular season.

Ladies and gentlemen, what we are seeing right now is the storm before the calm. Everything is in disarray, we look terrible in preseason, the OL looks regressed, the QB is the same, and JH is losing his credibility to some. But if you can walk outside and handle the high winds, the torrential downpour, the thunder and lightning and look up into the clouds, you will see the sun peeking through. You will see a team that is poised to make a run, and will fix EVERYTHING before week 1. You will see an OL that puts DL on their asses and Alex Smith (can't believe I went this long without saying his name) picking apart defenses. We all know he has the ability to given time. We will also see the little nuances JH has taught Alex this offseason (like side-stepping defenders, keeping his eyes down-field on the run) to make plays. Ofcourse Frank will be Frank and Crabtree will breakout. Edwards will be a great pickup for us and be that big play receiver downfield. Our weapons will be utilized to their full extent in Harbaugh's offense. Have some faith people!

I love how you ask why people think we re going to suck but you don't want anybody to say something negative about the team. So I will give it my best shot.

Think its nice that we had a shortened offseason

It's nice that we have a new head coach in a shortened offseason

It's nice that we have a new offensive and defensive coordinator s

I think it's nice that we have Alex smith while we wait for a rookie qb to be ready

I think it's nice that we have 5 cross country away games

Our o line is nice

I hope for the best, and expect the worst. It's going to be a rough year.
Don't worry fellas. We are going to come out with something never seen before in Game 1. It is so complicated because it is the WCO that even our own players look stupid trying to learn it. But it will blow other teams away as it does our players.

Originally posted by Joecool:
It's preseason.

So, by this theory, we should have came out guns blazing and in midseason form since Raye's offense was easier to learn. ALL offenses are complicated but not all teams look like crap during an offensive philosophical change has occured. What helps more with success in ANY offense is to actually apply it with a consistent group. That is something we haven't done.

No.
Raye's offense was so simple they actually reached their ceiling in the preseason!
This offense is infinitely more complicated then Raye's... there were reports of players saying it was the biggest playbook they'd ever seen.
Without an off season to install the offense, picking it up will be more difficult.
Not sure how you can argue that?
It's preseason.

No.
Raye's offense was so simple they actually reached their ceiling in the preseason!
This offense is infinitely more complicated then Raye's... there were reports of players saying it was the biggest playbook they'd ever seen.
Without an off season to install the offense, picking it up will be more difficult.

Exactly. Watch games from 2010 and 2009. We literally ran the same b******t after b******t play...no adjustments...no changes...nothing. Nothing creative, nothing innovative, nothing new. The most "exciting" part of the offense was the seam route to Davis which team figured out. Did our coaches think of something else? Nope. Just keep doing the same s**t over and over. No team is going to win like that.

Even the players admitted this TC/Preseason that in the last 2 years we "never" made in-game adjustments. That's absolutely pathetic to hear. I'm surprised more focus hasn't been put on that. Instead it's the same old drivel about "Alecks teh Smyth."
It's preseason.

No.
If the playbook is THAT big, then I don't see any reason to appear to hide nearly all of it and not let the players have much reps as a cohesive unit. I have a feeling our offense is going to look like window dressing. Pretty and impressive with all the shifts but very sloppy in post snap execution.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
i still don't understand the "i don't believe in this team because of the Yorks" reasoning.

I mean, Jed did got out and get the "hottest" coaching candidate. A lot us applauded that move. He hired Baalke, which is certainly a mixed bag at this point. But other than that, he has no effect on the play on the field. In terms of "reasons to believe," I think going out and getting Harbaugh shows the commitment to winning that was absent when Dr. York was the man-in-charge. All other decisions fall to Harbaugh and Baalke--and its fine to be critical or leery of those guys and their decisions, and that does eventually funnel back up to Jed, but, still, I fail to see how, at this stage, the ownership is standing in the way of our success.

Jed is a f**king idiot. Remember him claiming our season would never end in December. Then last yr he told the media we would make the playoffs even though this team was clearly dogs**t. Jed didn't hire Baalke. He promoted Baalke rather then bringing in an experienced winner. I think his failure to hire a solid GM was one of the biggest failures of the offseason. Yes he convinced his mommy to throw a bunch of money at Harbaugh. That's one thing right vs dozens of blunders.

Jed is a spoiled kid that's only in his current role because his mom (the real owner) doesn't give a s**t. The result is that the Niners front office is viewed around the league as a joke.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Jed is a f**king idiot. Remember him claiming our season would never end in December. Then last yr he told the media we would make the playoffs even though this team was clearly dogs**t. Jed didn't hire Baalke. He promoted Baalke rather then bringing in an experienced winner. I think his failure to hire a solid GM was one of the biggest failures of the offseason. Yes he convinced his mommy to throw a bunch of money at Harbaugh. That's one thing right vs dozens of blunders.

Jed is a spoiled kid that's only in his current role because his mom (the real owner) doesn't give a s**t. The result is that the Niners front office is viewed around the league as a joke.

saying dumb things doesn't effect performance on the field, which kind of speaks to my point. The jury is out on Baalke and Harbaugh both, and in a year or two we'll know if Jed is helping the franchise or hurting it. Until then I'm still mystified as to how the ownership effects the "belief" in the team and coaches we have this season.
Share 49ersWebzone