There are 210 users in the forums

To anyone that thinks the 2011 Niners are gonna be worse than the 2010 Niners were

Shop Find 49ers gear online
why is everyone picking us last or 3rd in the west then?
I'm sure we'll be better than last year, we didn't have a coach last year, we had a preacher with his "smash mouth running football" c'mon, we cant be worst than that.

Harbaugh is keeping the real deal in secret, we'll kick Pete Caroll's ass next week, GO NINNERS!
I agree with this post and think we will be better this year because:

1. Alex improved in the second half of last year: after week 6 he threw 8 TD's versus 1 INT.
2. The O-line sucks but has depth. Solari just has to find 5 who can block from among 8.
3. Braylon will grow up and shine. He may turn out to be the best WR since TO.
4. Gore will benefit greatly from a more imaginative offense.
5. Brooks will do what many expect Aldon Smith to do.

There are only 16 games in a season, and a lot of the outcome depends on luck and injuries.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
On paper yes, we look better, but from the one on one battles in Preseason, no, the O-line looks terribly worse. Do you see all the keywords in your sentences (should be).

Again though, there couldn't be less of a correlation between pre-season performance and regular season performance. If there were, Thomas Clayton would be the 2nd coming of Jim Brown (probably will never have another regular season carry) and the '08 Lions would have won the Super Bowl (they went 0-16). Several of the Super Bowl winning teams lately went 1-3 in the pre-season and have looked terrible. Hell, we went undefeated last pre-season and we saw what that meant. You can't put much stock on what you see in August, even if it is just straight up getting beat one on one.

You see your looking at it as Preseason as whole, but what your overlooking is that our O-line has been getting beat on one-on-one battles, there's no faking that.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
On paper yes, we look better, but from the one on one battles in Preseason, no, the O-line looks terribly worse. Do you see all the keywords in your sentences (should be).

Again though, there couldn't be less of a correlation between pre-season performance and regular season performance. If there were, Thomas Clayton would be the 2nd coming of Jim Brown (probably will never have another regular season carry) and the '08 Lions would have won the Super Bowl (they went 0-16). Several of the Super Bowl winning teams lately went 1-3 in the pre-season and have looked terrible. Hell, we went undefeated last pre-season and we saw what that meant. You can't put much stock on what you see in August, even if it is just straight up getting beat one on one.

You see your looking at it as Preseason as whole, but what your overlooking is that our O-line has been getting beat on one-on-one battles, there's no faking that.

yea it doesn't matter if it's week 3 preseason or week 5 regular season, I bet we don't make it threw a single game this year without Anthony Davis false starting and still lets Alex get blown up. If he keeps his happy feet in check and only gets called 10 times I'll buy his jersey.

On a whole I'm expecting a noticeable improvement maybe even a 9 or 10 win season depending on luck, in other post I wrote that even if we only win 4 division games, beat the bengals and browns, cowboys, and redskins, and either the bucs or lions. that's a 9 win season right there, hell maybe we light the bucs up like they did to us last year and we've got a 10 win season. 12 if we somehow blow up our division and only lose to the ravens, steelers, giants, and eagles.....

essentially we're 50/50 to win our division and roll into the plays with a 9 or 10 win season or get steam rolled and finish in the 3-13/5-11 range.
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 31, 2011 at 6:29 PM ]
It makes no sense to me when ppl say a new system is part of why we will suck. The Seahawks beat us in their first game with Pete Carroll and won the devision and won a playoff Game.... WE CAN DO IT TOO!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
We are learning new systems on both sides of the ball in a shortened offseason. That is the reason why we will be worse.

While Harbaugh should be able to learn on the job and improve by the day (Unlike Dingletary who seemed to regress) he still is a rookie NFL head coach and will go through some growing pains.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Bigger than any of us think? No, just bigger than YOU think. Most of us realize that the lockout would affect us negatively, and not just a little. We were thought to be the team it would affect most, and we are.

I still don't think we'll be "way worse," or even worse at all, but I can definitely see it happening due to the lockout giving Harbaugh little time to get the team on the right page.

Huh? We all think it's gonna have a big negative effect, thats why I said if it's EVEN bigger than we all think, the word "even" thus implying we already think it's big...

It seemed your entire post implied that it WAS NOT as big as it is. If you can't see why people might think we'd be worse this year than last, then you're obviously not understanding how big of a disadvantage the lockout really is. Plain and simple. Go back and read what you wrote. You pretty much made it seem like there's no reason for us to be worse, and then said the only way you can see us being slightly worse is if the lockout disadvantage was "even bigger than we think." What you fail to realize is most people see it as being big enough to possibly ruin the season, so it wouldn't be "EVEN BIGGER THAN WE THINK" it would just be even bigger than YOU think.
Originally posted by BobS:
While Harbaugh should be able to learn on the job and improve by the day (Unlike Dingletary who seemed to regress) he still is a rookie NFL head coach and will go through some growing pains.

He's a rookie NFL head coach, but he's not a rookie head coach- that's a key difference between he and Sing.

He's a rookie NFL head coach, but he's not a rookie head coach- that's a key difference between he and Sing.

That's a really good point. And also, he's coached in the NFL before...albeit a positional coach like Sing...but at least he was part of a winning team that made significant offensive improvements.

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

That's a really good point. And also, he's coached in the NFL before...albeit a positional coach like Sing...but at least he was part of a winning team that made significant offensive improvements.

He also has a staff full of former NFL coaches.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
It seemed your entire post implied that it WAS NOT as big as it is. If you can't see why people might think we'd be worse this year than last, then you're obviously not understanding how big of a disadvantage the lockout really is. Plain and simple. Go back and read what you wrote. You pretty much made it seem like there's no reason for us to be worse, and then said the only way you can see us being slightly worse is if the lockout disadvantage was "even bigger than we think." What you fail to realize is most people see it as being big enough to possibly ruin the season, so it wouldn't be "EVEN BIGGER THAN WE THINK" it would just be even bigger than YOU think.

Yes but 7-9 is a ruined season in my book (pretty much any year we don't at least make playoffs) but that doesn't mean we were worse that we were last year. 5-11 or 6-10 would definitely be a failed season but that doesn't mean we were "WAY" worse than in '10. I know the lockout is a huge disadvantage. If this were 2012 with Harbaugh going into his 2nd season as HC and a full offseason, I would legit be EXTREMELY confident this is at the very least an 11-5 or so football team. It IS indeed BECAUSE of the lockout that I know THAT is anything but a certainty and so maybe we go in the 7-9 to 9-7 range due to the lack of offseason but still should likely be in serious contention for the NFC West crown. That's why I still think we will be better- just not AS good as if there weren't the lack of offseason. Thus me saying if it's even worse than any of us have thought. Because I think the lack of having been fully integrated into Harbaugh's regime could be worth 2-4 wins less than if we were fully integrated, but not like 6+...if it were 6+ and we were a 4-12 football team or something like that (or worse), THAT would then be the lockout having an even bigger negative impact...but I think that's unlikely. Given all the personnel and coaching upgrades + the easier schedule (only 1 of the first 8 games, @Philly, is really tough, so when we are still absorbing more of the new schemes, at least we're mostly playing winnable games...by the time the harder games roll around later in the season, the team will at least have far more experience in Harbaugh/Fangio's systems), I think that more than cancels out the lack of offseason.
[ Edited by andes14 on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Too bad we have the same QB.

its not his fault...

Is it me, or were the fans already starting to shower him with boo birds against the Texans?

Considering the oline play, I would hope it was about their execution, or lack thereof. Of course there were probably some of the simplistic morons that want to blame the qb for everything, so it is hard to say for sure.
I dunno man...I think we're underestimated this year. Thats fine. I'd rather be the under dogs than over hyped like previous years. As I've said...I think people are really underestimating the impact of proper coaching. We've been 8-8, 7-9, and 6-10 with terrible coaching, injuries, lack of talent, etc. This year we have the best coaching we've had since 2002, arguably the most talent, and guys who've been playing together for a while now. I just can't see how we'll end up WORSE than 6-10 at the VERY worst.

I know I know the o-line is terrible but it's essentially the same crew as last year. They weren't TERRIBLE last year. Not very good but not terrible.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I dunno man...I think we're underestimated this year. Thats fine. I'd rather be the under dogs than over hyped like previous years. As I've said...I think people are really underestimating the impact of proper coaching. We've been 8-8, 7-9, and 6-10 with terrible coaching, injuries, lack of talent, etc. This year we have the best coaching we've had since 2002, arguably the most talent, and guys who've been playing together for a while now. I just can't see how we'll end up WORSE than 6-10 at the VERY worst.

I know I know the o-line is terrible but it's essentially the same crew as last year. They weren't TERRIBLE last year. Not very good but not terrible.

There's only two things that can bring us down. OL or Alex Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone