There are 282 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

To anyone that thinks the 2011 Niners are gonna be worse than the 2010 Niners were

Especially those that think we will be SIGNIFICANTLY worse:

We lost Lawson, Clements, Baas, Nedney, Franklin, Spikes, Singletary, Raye, and Manusky and replaced them with Aldon Smith, Rogers, Goodwin, Akers, promoted McDonald & Bowman, Harbaugh, Roman, and Fangio (nearly all of those are upgrades)...not to mention adding Edwards and Whitner strengthened positions that weren't even weakened in the offseason. Plus throw in the fact that guys like A. Davis, V. Davis, Iupati, Rachal, Brooks, Reggie Smith, and Crabtree should all be significantly better in 2011 than they were in 2010 and that we just may now have a legit back-up to Gore for the first time in his career (Hunter) AND that we have an easier schedule, why would we be worse, especially way worse? The only way I think we'll be SLIGHTLY worse or similar is if the negative effect of not having an offseason with a new coach is even bigger than any of us think. That's literally the ONLY thing you can point at to think we'd be worse. But I think all of those positive things listed above will more than cancel that out.
Originally posted by andes14:
Especially those that think we will be SIGNIFICANTLY worse:

We lost Lawson, Clements, Baas, Nedney, Franklin, Spikes, Singletary, Raye, and Manusky and replaced them with Aldon Smith, Rogers, Goodwin, Akers, promoted McDonald & Bowman, Harbaugh, Roman, and Fangio (nearly all of those are upgrades)...not to mention adding Edwards and Whitner strengthened positions that weren't even weakened in the offseason. Plus throw in the fact that guys like A. Davis, V. Davis, Iupati, Rachal, Brooks, Reggie Smith, and Crabtree should all be significantly better in 2011 than they were in 2010 and that we just may now have a legit back-up to Gore for the first time in his career (Hunter) AND that we have an easier schedule, why would we be worse, especially way worse? The only way I think we'll be SLIGHTLY worse or similar is if the negative effect of not having an offseason with a new coach is even bigger than any of us think. That's literally the ONLY thing you can point at to think we'd be worse. But I think all of those positive things listed above will more than cancel that out.

not to mention rogers being 20x the cover corner nate was. the line just has to gel and well be better
Originally posted by fan49:
not to mention rogers being 20x the cover corner nate was. the line just has to gel and well be better

I assume you mean o-line? There's not much reason to think they'll be worse in 2011 than in 2010.
We are learning new systems on both sides of the ball in a shortened offseason. That is the reason why we will be worse.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,555
Well I never thought we'd start off 0-5 last season, so anything can happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT it to happen just saying anythings possible.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well I never thought we'd start off 0-5 last season, so anything can happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT it to happen just saying anythings possible.

Sure anything's POSSIBLE...but logically there's no way we should be worse, esp. a lot worse. We got ONE thing going against us, but so many aspects of the team are better than from last year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,555
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well I never thought we'd start off 0-5 last season, so anything can happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT it to happen just saying anythings possible.

Sure anything's POSSIBLE...but logically there's no way we should be worse, esp. a lot worse. We got ONE thing going against us, but so many aspects of the team are better than from last year.
Not really, the O-line seems to suck more than last year, the loss of Baas was a big loss lol. And our defense has taken a major hit with the loss of Aubrayo Franklin, Sopoaga is still a question mark in the middle. Two major key players loss on both sides of the ball not to mention a new offensive system, Frank, Vernon and Patrick can't win with just them.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Not really, the O-line seems to suck more than last year, the loss of Baas was a big loss lol. And our defense has taken a major hit with the loss of Aubrayo Franklin, Sopoaga is still a question mark in the middle. Two major key players loss on both sides of the ball not to mention a new offensive system, Frank, Vernon and Patrick can't win with just them.

Franklin wasn't nearly as good in 2010 as he was in 2009 and Ray McDonald could easily make a bigger impact. Why would Iupati or A. Davis do worse in their 2nd years than they did their rookie year + Rachal should be better, no? Can't be much worse. Doesn't that make up for the change from Baas to Goodwin (who's stlll a pro bowler)? Also, maybe Spikes to Bowman is a downgrade, but other than that everything is an upgrade. Clements to Rogers, Lawson to Smith, Sing to Harbaugh (which should mean Crabtree and VD are better), Raye to Roman...we'll see how Fangio compares to Manusky. Added Edwards. Added Whitner. Those positions weren't even weakened in the offseason and we still added very good players. And don't you think guys like Brooks and Reggie Smith will be better too? In short, there's 3 reasons we'd be worse- Baas to Goodwin, Spikes to Bowman, and having no offseason with a new coach. But there's like 10+ reasons we'd be better.
We need to give it a few games to bed in. Harbaugh in place of Singletary should be good for two in the win column!
Too bad we have the same QB.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Too bad we have the same QB.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Not really, the O-line seems to suck more than last year, the loss of Baas was a big loss lol. And our defense has taken a major hit with the loss of Aubrayo Franklin, Sopoaga is still a question mark in the middle. Two major key players loss on both sides of the ball not to mention a new offensive system, Frank, Vernon and Patrick can't win with just them.

the loss of franklin is not as bad as people think. soap can do the job and RJF has been great at NT so far this preseason
We lost a lot. Some of the replacements aren't upgrades. The O Line is the worst I've ever seen. No offseason work. New system, new HC, new OC, and new DC. It's just not enough time to absorb all of that. Teams who have played together for years are way ahead of us. We are way behind and in for a whoppin of a year.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Too bad we have the same QB.

its not his fault...
Originally posted by fly15:
its not his fault...

I blame you, why did you let this happen damn you!