There are 295 users in the forums

49er FA's progress offense vs. defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Understanding that in a shortened offseason like this, especially with a new coaching staff the progress of the offense is bound to be behind the defense. The 49ers made some key signings on both sides of the ball this offseason. Players the team will need in the long run to make an impact on this team if we're going to be successful.

Defensive signings Donte Whitner and Carlos Rogers seemed to step into starting roles immediately. Even with Rogers slowed by injury in TC and not practicing alot he was out there with the starters on the 1st play last night. Whitner seems to have already secured the SS spot and a leadership role on the defense.

Their counterparts on offense Braylon Edwards and Jonathan Goodwin are a completely different story. Edwards, clearly the best WR on the team even if Crabtree was healthy is still running with the #2's. I get he came in a week or 2 behind the others, didn't attend camp Alex, and said he wasn't in 100% football shape at first so starting out with the #2's I can see. But why wouldn't he have played more than someone like Ted Ginn yesterday? Or Kyle Williams? Or Ronald Johnson? Why was he in there mostly with CK7 instead of Alex? 2 weeks away from the season opener and our best WR still isn't running with the starters doesn't make any sense to me at all.

The 49ers lost David Baas in FA and used Adam Snyder there because they were forced. Snyder an avg at best OL through the years is being used at the only position he has never played before at any level. The team didn't seem settled with him whatsoever as they re-signed Wraage and went after Olin Kreutz before signing Goodwin to a 3 year deal worth almost $11M. The guy by all accounts is a beast, a veteran pro-bowl C with superbowl experience. A guy Drew Brees wanted back in NO. We want our best 5 OL on the field, Snyder may just be 1 of those 5 but he isn't the best C.

I've went back and forth as to why the defensive guys seem to be ahead of the offensive guys. Sometimes I think that the coach is being even more conservative with his offensive gameplans and personnel during the PS and we will see our best guys in the right positions ready to go by week 1 when we truly show who we are/want to be on the field. Others I think maybe we're really worried about who our best backups are, maybe more than who are best players or starters will be and we're using this time in the PS to find out who those guys are.

Are you guys also concerned with how Edwards and Goodwin are being integrated into the offense?
No im not worried and think it will work itself out before our opening game
No it's the preseason why be worried? Also, David Akers is an upgrade IMO. Still good analysis of the FA's but talk to the webzone around Week 4 to get a better idea of how the FA's are translating.

Btw, none of the FA's matter if our QB can't throw the ball. (ie. O-line protection & Alex Smith behind center)
Not worried understand concerns tho! But for instance we played 2nd and 3rd stringers against the first! My biggest worry is oline! Once thats resolved everything else will come together! Line just needs to be focusec and dialed in imo
spam sammich
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM ]
Yes I'm concerned because it makes no sense.
harbaugh has a plan..... we look bad on purpose........ i dont know.
Not to mention M. Williams is clerly outplaying another FA per se, in Goldson.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This.

Goldson looks like he didnt put in any work in the offseason to get better, his tackle angles were terrible against the texans.
^^^understatement!

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by NCommand:
This.

Goldson looks like he didnt put in any work in the offseason to get better, his tackle angles were terrible against the texans.

No joke, does he think he is a starter because he was signed?
Not sure but I'm most curious to see what the coaches do re: the safety, CB & o-line...if anything at all.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Yes I'm concerned because it makes no sense.

this, i just don't understand it....you bring in a dynamic #1 WR and he doesn't start??? and we signed a vet pro-bowl OC and we're going w/Snyder who's never ever played there before?
Share 49ersWebzone