LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 155 users in the forums

Smith + Kaep QB rating vs Texans = 0.0! (Per Eric Branch)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Not one of these guys has thrown a TD yet.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
More ridiculous from you. So Stinchcomb had minor issues with edge rushers, and now Brees is a hero for overcoming the horrors? Had to "shoulder the entire load" ? LOL... yeah, there's a load here, buddy, and you are shoveling it. No mention of Payton's entrenched scheme? No mention of the other OL kicking arse?

You want to know something interesting? Since Raye was relieved of OC duties, Alex had a better QBR than Brees down the stretch.

"had to shoulder the load"..... LOL

He didn't have minor issues. There's a reason why they cut him, and he wasn't even good enough to play for us.

Down the stretch Alex had a better qb rating? We've been down this road before. Sorry I don't care how you try to manipulate the stats so he looks good. Brees threw for 4,600 yards and 33 touchdowns. Smith had a 91 qb rating if you start from week 5 forget that he got hurt/ benched and missed 6 games. Oh yeah I forgot we went 3-4 in those games that you listed were he played in. Oh good lord am I wrong about Smith. Please tell me more about that qb rating and what qbs it finished above.

It's unbelievable to me how people will manipulate Alex's stats to make him look average (since that's the best they can do). The guy is the worst thing that has happened to this franchise in 30 years. He's handcuffed this organization for 7+ years now.

When are we gonna rid ourselves of this debacle of a 1st round pick?

Can anyone really imagine Alex Smith holding up a Lombardi Trophy? LMAO, the thought of it is just ridiculous. I can't even imagine Alex Smith starting a playoff game.

You seriously sound like a broken record. You say the same s**t every time you post in NT. We get it. Alex will never be elite. We all know that.

Was there anything else in the game(s) you want to comment on or just keep ranting about how Alex Smith is the sole reason the Niners have sucked since Mooch left...?

Alex Smith continues to prove he's a worthless QB...so you'll continue to see me post about that until he either proves me otherwise or is off the team for good.

Hey I don't complain when I have to read you constantly apologize for his terrible play. Instead, I just sit back and laugh at how low some 49er fans expectations have gotten.
"the O-Line sucks, but they are fearful that they will have to hold blocks for a long time, while Alex gathers himself and passes"

A long time? Any offensive lineman who thinks allowing your QB to be hit before completing his steps on his drop back is a "long time" should be out of the league.

A "long time".... as if it's somehow wrong for the coaches to expect the blocking to last 3-4 seconds...

Please.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
No need to worry about Lombardi trophies if the line cannot pass protect we won't even see .500.

I agree with you. Our offensive line is terrible, no doubt. However, that doesn't mean a good QB can't help. With a good QB who can read pressure and manipulate the pocket, the offensive line suddenly looks so much better.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
I actually agree with both of you...the O-Line sucks, but they are fearful that they will have to hold blocks for a long time, while Alex gathers himself and passes. Alex, on the other hand, never has had a sixth sense about when and how to move away from the rush. It's a O-Line with poor chemistry and blocking schemes. And, a QB who just will never have the radar. Bad chemistry. Harbaugh was just a fool to bring alex back--he would have been better off bringing in a washed up old QB and developing the O-Line.

There are a lot of half truths being told in this thread which, taken together, amount to a total lie. But you've put your finger on what a lot of us have been saying.

Some of us say that all evidence points to Smith not having the "it" factor. Others say that he has never been given the opportunity to flourish. Irrespective, he is the pivotal player in a period of abject failure for this franchise. If the organization really wanted to make a fresh start, they needed to cut their ties with this association of losing. Fair or unfair.

I was sure that this was the year that they would finally do this. Everything that Baalke said at the conclusion of the season when he was installed at GM, lead one to assume this. Except that it seems that he was convinced by JH to bring him back and the residual smell of Nolan's hand in all this lingers. I think that Baalke shoulders the blame for this. He is weak personality and looking at where he came from, it's nothing to be surprised by. And, supplementally, it does raise some questions in my mind about Harbaugh (even though he was my overwhelming choice for the Niner's HC when they were looking).

You're right: They should have brought some washed up old QB to tutor (or act as a study) for the next QB. Hasselback would have been a very good choice. I'm pretty sure that he would have come (Steve Young was convinced of it) but was probably put off by all the praise that JH was lavishing on Alex.

Instead now we are left with Steve Deberg, version 2, a lot of sideways glances, and the same-old, same old. Doubts. Anxieties. The cancerous influence of the past.

Kapaernick seems to be cut from completely different cloth than Alex. He's just not ready to take over and be expected to operate everything smoothly. An older QB who had experienced some semblence of winning would have been ideal. There were a few out there.
Good quarterbacks make lines look better then they are not the opposite way around. You blitz 6 and very rarely is the line going to hold up for 17 seconds like you guys are waiting for with Alex. The reality is a good quarterback will have that blitz beaten before the play even started.

I'm not disputing that when a good quarterback faces pressure he fairs worse. Of course that's the case. That being said if your quarterback has no idea who to challenge or were to go to when a blitz occurs you're f*cked as well.

Indy'sO line hasn't been able to generate a running game for 5 years now. How talented do you really think they are? They're a bunch of undersized white guys that got drafted in the 5th round. They could probally take Cody Wallace and turn him into an efficient guard.

Just for fun I timed Alex-to-sack and the average was under 2 seconds. So you can make up numbers and claim he had time but anyone who saw the game knows better. When Manning or Brady gets hit hard you cringe and it is an anomaly. When Smith gets hit it's business as usual.

The Int Smith threw was an example of his being hit as he threw by an unblocked defender coming directly up the middle. You can say he should have "felt" the pressure, but as there were also D players coming from the left and the right, was he suppose to levitate? He stood in and tried to hit a quick read, just didn't have time.

It amazes me how people can seem to dislike a player who has shown courage and loyalty over the years. VD commented that one of the things he likes most about Smith is that he doesn't give up and keeps his head up even after being pounded. Perhaps he should lay there on the ground to let everyone know how much pain he is in...then perhaps you would get off your anti Smith jag.
What dtg_9er said.
No need to worry about Lombardi trophies if the line cannot pass protect we won't even see .500.

I agree with you. Our offensive line is terrible, no doubt. However, that doesn't mean a good QB can't help. With a good QB who can read pressure and manipulate the pocket, the offensive line suddenly looks so much better.

Manipulate the pocket. What pocket? Lol
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Just for fun I timed Alex-to-sack and the average was under 2 seconds. So you can make up numbers and claim he had time but anyone who saw the game knows better. When Manning or Brady gets hit hard you cringe and it is an anomaly. When Smith gets hit it's business as usual.

The Int Smith threw was an example of his being hit as he threw by an unblocked defender coming directly up the middle. You can say he should have "felt" the pressure, but as there were also D players coming from the left and the right, was he suppose to levitate? He stood in and tried to hit a quick read, just didn't have time.

It amazes me how people can seem to dislike a player who has shown courage and loyalty over the years. VD commented that one of the things he likes most about Smith is that he doesn't give up and keeps his head up even after being pounded. Perhaps he should lay there on the ground to let everyone know how much pain he is in...then perhaps you would get off your anti Smith jag.

I never implied he had time yesterday. I didn't make up any numbers. You're right I didn't watch the game nor did I mention anything from that game other than Wade Phillip's track record as a DC. My point was based off of Alex's career not 6 passes.

You guys do understand that we don't forget everything that we see about him, and pretend he's a brand new quarterback every single weekend. So unless you're planning on timing every single sack Alex took over the past 6 years I think we're moving on.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

honestly, even if we had a military brigade blocking for Alex, I'm not sure how that's going to solve his lack of on the field leadership, accuracy, and ability to throw to receivers before they are open. At least the Raiders weren't too proud to just get rid of Jamarcus and rid themselves of a cancer. Our problem is that Alex is a model teammate, citizen, and student of the game, all while being both smart and [so they say, but I haven't seen] athletic, all of which makes him too hard to cut.

"You guys do understand that we don't forget everything that we see about him, and pretend he's a brand new quarterback every single weekend."

Yes, but some of us would like to see what he may do in a real offensive scheme and competent coaching, with a pocket and time to throw in, with legitimate receiving options, before giving a final verdict. That's been the biggest problem with Smith: the damn MYSTERY to it all, because he's always - ALWAYS - been set up to fail.

We all hoped that with Harbaugh that would end. But guess what? Lockout / crappy o-line play may again throw clouds of mystery over it.

I do know this much: Alex Smith is the unluckiest SOB to play QB in the NFL I've seen in a LOOOONG time.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I still have no idea (well I do but still) why Alex decided to come back. It could go down as either a brilliant move or a career killer. This year will pretty much determine whether he moves "up" or "begins his career" as a journeyman back up.

He should have packed his sht and either:

a) Went to Oakland
b) Went to Indy where Peyton isn't getting younger and his health problems could prove long term (neck injuries are no joke). Plus...they run an offense he'd be MOST familiar and comfortable with. And who better to mentor you than Peyton Manning. He'd sit at the most 2 years (which would make him 29) and he could slug it out for at least 4-7 years and have a decent career there.

Can I ask you two questions? Are you an actual 49er fan? or just an Alex Smith fan?

Challenging what this team is doing wrong is one of the highest forms of team patriotism.

Blindly supporting a team in the face of stupid decisions is the highest form of naivete.

I never implied he had time yesterday. I didn't make up any numbers. You're right I didn't watch the game nor did I mention anything from that game other than Wade Phillip's track record as a DC. My point was based off of Alex's career not 6 passes.

You guys do understand that we don't forget everything that we see about him, and pretend he's a brand new quarterback every single weekend. So unless you're planning on timing every single sack Alex took over the past 6 years I think we're moving on.

... and this says it all. You people will never let go of the past and give a guy a clean slate.... so you will always be judging performances on bitter emotions. Or worse, perhaps... off of a box score.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
It's unbelievable to me how people will manipulate Alex's stats to make him look average (since that's the best they can do). The guy is the worst thing that has happened to this franchise in 30 years. He's handcuffed this organization for 7+ years now.

When are we gonna rid ourselves of this debacle of a 1st round pick?

Can anyone really imagine Alex Smith holding up a Lombardi Trophy? LMAO, the thought of it is just ridiculous. I can't even imagine Alex Smith starting a playoff game.

**Closed my eyes**

Ok yes I just did it. Alex Smith hoists the lombardi trophey up while Greg Nantz says "Alex Smith you have just been named the 2011-2012 Superbowl MVP! How do you feel?"
Alex then says with a shower of red and gold confetti all over his face,"It was truly a mountain I had to climb to get here. I want to thank all the coaches before Jim because without them I wouldn't have become so resilient. And ofcourse I want to thank Jimmy Harbaugh everyone! YEAH!" Then he passes the mic to JH.

JH tells Alex to get on his knees, and then kisses him softly on the forehead.

Now you can go change your underwear. Do it before all that stuff dries up. That happened to me when I was 14 years old too... sucks, I know.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldman9er:

... and this says it all. You people will never let go of the past and give a guy a clean slate.... so you will always be judging performances on bitter emotions. Or worse, perhaps... off of a box score.

worst. response. ever. let's pick up Jamarcus Russell while we're in the mood to give out clean slates to completely undeserving individuals.
Share 49ersWebzone