There are 262 users in the forums

Smith + Kaep QB rating vs Texans = 0.0! (Per Eric Branch)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Please, watch a Patriots or Colts game (when Manning gets healthy) and look at the PROTECTION. If you are being hit before you reach your back foot on a 3 step drop, you won't succeed. When you are in the middle of your thowing motion and get a helmet in your chest, you won't be accurate.

Anyone who watched this game tonight and think any of Alex Smiths performance had anything to do with him simply not playing well, you are nukin' futs.

Tom Brady would have been crushed. Peyton Manning would have been crushed. Joe Freakin' Montana would have been crushed.

As for Kaep....its a bit of both. He had similar protection issues, but actually did have a little time on some of his dropbacks. He is playing like a YOUNG QB tho and staring down receivers. One thing I liked tho....he doesn't seem to go into the tank after a pick. He gets right back up and keeps firing.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by toeknee:
Originally posted by modninerfan:

go back to the parking lot, you dont know what you're talking about.

I think shaj should have blamed the oline more. But I have to agree, thats humiliating. Even if harbaugh isnt game planning, do you think hes happy with what he saw? It's tough to evaluate players when they can't even sustain a drive

I completely do blame the oline to a major extent, more than the QBs tonight actually. Frankly I think both units suck.

I expect them to be ready for the seahawks but at the same time unsure about how they will perform. Someone in another thread made a point that getting the offense going won't be like turning on a light switch week one and I agree. They have a lot of work to do but I'm just going to wait and see.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Please, watch a Patriots or Colts game (when Manning gets healthy) and look at the PROTECTION. If you are being hit before you reach your back foot on a 3 step drop, you won't succeed. When you are in the middle of your thowing motion and get a helmet in your chest, you won't be accurate.

Anyone who watched this game tonight and think any of Alex Smiths performance had anything to do with him simply not playing well, you are nukin' futs.

Tom Brady would have been crushed. Peyton Manning would have been crushed. Joe Freakin' Montana would have been crushed.

As for Kaep....its a bit of both. He had similar protection issues, but actually did have a little time on some of his dropbacks. He is playing like a YOUNG QB tho and staring down receivers. One thing I liked tho....he doesn't seem to go into the tank after a pick. He gets right back up and keeps firing.

actually, I tend to agree, the oline sucked tonight and was a major contributor. they didn't have much of a chance. It doesn't change the fact that it was humiliating though.

I think shaj should have blamed the oline more. But I have to agree, thats humiliating. Even if harbaugh isnt game planning, do you think hes happy with what he saw? It's tough to evaluate players when they can't even sustain a drive

I completely do blame the oline to a major extent, more than the QBs tonight actually. Frankly I think both units suck.

I expect them to be ready for the seahawks but at the same time unsure about how they will perform. Someone in another thread made a point that getting the offense going won't be like turning on a light switch week one and I agree. They have a lot of work to do but I'm just going to wait and see.

Quote me.

They will struggle with protection, but they will look very different. They will win a close game that will be nearly unwatchable because the 'Hawks are even worse than the Niners.

Alex Smith WILL get sacked several times, but they will pull out a win.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Yea, sounds about right.

2.8 + 20.8 = 0

I just went to the Eric Branch article to cut and paste the section where he said "Total Quarterback Rating 0.0" (verbatim). When I went back, he changed both the header to the article and that section. Now it shows different QBR's. I'm sure other people saw the original version like I did. I referenced it 3 times before posting.

...well, I'm glad he realized his mistake and did the right thing by changing the header and the contents of it.

actually, I tend to agree, the oline sucked tonight and was a major contributor. they didn't have much of a chance. It doesn't change the fact that it was humiliating though.

THAT I'll agree with. ;-)
  • mod
  • Veteran

What I saw is both quartbacks under significant pressure over 50% of the pass plays. The defense didnt even have to send a 5 man blitz, 4 did the trick. When the QB did have time to drop back and actually step into their throw half the time the footballs were dropped. That leaves about a 25% success rate.

My QB observation:
When the QB's were given the proper opportunities they did place the football in the right place, they made their reads and showed nice form.
I noticed that Alex stands more confident in the pocket while under pressure... 2 years ago he would bring the ball down and do this frantic scramble. I noticed Kaepernick has terrific mobility but tends to toss everything he's learned in training camp out the door. On one play he was able to escape pressure, and he threw the deep pass to Williams, I loved how he kept his eyes down field. On the other hand that ball was impossible to catch, and he should know to tuck the ball in and run.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

THAT I'll agree with. ;-)

I'm just so frustrated. The years of offensive ineptitude is eating away at me. Right now I have no hope that this year will be different.

Where in your original post do you even mention the damn OL ??????? You looked pretty foolish to me until your acknowledgement here that the OL was to blame to a major extent.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:

Where in your original post do you even mention the damn OL ??????? You looked pretty foolish to me until your acknowledgement here that the OL was to blame to a major extent.

next time I'll run my original post through you first to make sure you're good with it.

Looked to me he made his own time behind a s**t OL. I think his blitz pick up and awareness is much better than Smiths. He seems to take that extra step away to make a guy miss.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Looked to me he made his own time behind a s**t OL. I think his blitz pick up and awareness is much better than Smiths. He seems to take that extra step away to make a guy miss.

that's true, Kaep showed some ability to evade the rush
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Well he is more mobile, but he also stares down recievers. He completely telegraphed his interception. He never looked at anyone else and the safety easily jumped the route.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:

next time I'll run my original post through you first to make sure you're good with it.

Hey I am happy to see you had a moment of clearity here , and this wasn't just another thread about putting all of the blame on Smith , like we don't have enough of those already.

post of the day in my view---youre absolutely right....remember how people crtiticized smith for not stepping up in pocket---he tried to tonite and got clobbered...on the int i think ronald johnson was open crossing the middle but smith was hit as he was delivering the ball---no chance
Share 49ersWebzone