There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What was the worst moment in franchise history?

NFC Title game against the Giants when we were going for the 3peat and Montana got injured, which also led to us losing that game and the shot at 3 SB's in a row. also pretty much turned out to be the end of his career as a niner.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Didn't Eddie D have to step away? IIRC correctly...didn't he have some heat from gambling allegations or some s**t?

Yeah some folks I guess choose not to remember that it was his own fault that he got into hot water. I blame him for being involved with shady s**t, he is the single most responsible person that the team went to crap. I like the guy and really appreciate what he did for the team through the years, but he let us fans down by forcing himself out of the game.
You have a good point about Eddie D. letting us down, however Yorks have been nothing but disaster so far. They had a jewel on their hand, and they let it slip because of their greed and mismanagement.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
whatever the reason, its still one of the dark moments in this franchise's history. The distinction between him being forced to give up the team because of his own misdeeds and choosing to give it up is immaterial, IMO.

No arguing about that Hess.

sorry, I thought that's what you were saying, given the context of this thread.

it is true that Eddie D gets a pass in the minds of most fans for his transgression, but I think its because there is a kind of unspoken understanding that his penchant for shady dealings was an intrinsic part of our dynasty.
Originally posted by 190836:
Didn't Eddie D have to step away? IIRC correctly...didn't he have some heat from gambling allegations or some s**t?

Yeah some folks I guess choose not to remember that it was his own fault that he got into hot water. I blame him for being involved with shady s**t, he is the single most responsible person that the team went to crap. I like the guy and really appreciate what he did for the team through the years, but he let us fans down by forcing himself out of the game.
You have a good point about Eddie D. letting us down, however Yorks have been nothing but disaster so far. They had a jewel on their hand, and they let it slip because of their greed and mismanagement.
Yeah, but again, they would not have been rookie NFL owners if Eddie had played it smart and steered clear of organized crime.
Eddie D giving up the team and Montana getting injured against the Giants.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The day Eddie handed Denise the franchise.

/thread.

and...

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
The day Alex Smith was drafted

AGREED !!
Originally posted by 190836:

Yeah, but again, they would not have been rookie NFL owners if Eddie had played it smart and steered clear of organized crime.
The whole family has been linked to the organized crime (i am not saying that they are though). As for the Yorks, they are still acting like the rookies.

It could possibly be. This coming from and avid supporter. This organization has gone completely bass-akwards since Alex was drafted. He was drafted to be the "Savior" of this franchise. Little did both the 49ers organization and Alex Smith know what they were getting into. I mean, just look at all the events that have happened since Smith was drafted. 7 years, 7 OC's, 3 Coaches, new ownership, new G.M, etc. Now I'm not saying all this is directly due to Alex, but I am saying it had something to do with us drafting him, and where we drafted him.
Who cares? Look forward not backwards
Originally posted by iceberg450r:
NFC Title game against the Giants when we were going for the 3peat and Montana got injured, which also led to us losing that game and the shot at 3 SB's in a row. also pretty much turned out to be the end of his career as a niner.

Losing Joe, losing the championship, and losing our chance at a history making three-peat in one feel swoop. How can it be anything but this?
[ Edited by SanFranAddic on Aug 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
It could possibly be. This coming from and avid supporter. This organization has gone completely bass-akwards since Alex was drafted. He was drafted to be the "Savior" of this franchise. Little did both the 49ers organization and Alex Smith know what they were getting into. I mean, just look at all the events that have happened since Smith was drafted. 7 years, 7 OC's, 3 Coaches, new ownership, new G.M, etc. Now I'm not saying all this is directly due to Alex, but I am saying it had something to do with us drafting him, and where we drafted him.

Trying to not go off topic but I think the reason everything happened the way it happened in terms of personel decisions was due to the strange criteria that the ownership had for coaches and then coaches had for players. I still remember the bizarre workout they put Alex through at his pro day and the practice facilities, you shouldn't be drafting a QB off of his ability to do math while jumping in place on one leg......This franchise has done itself wrong, it's no single persons fault but a whole clusterf**k of issues.....

Back on topic, in modern day post 1980 9er history it would have to be Steve Young getting knocked out, because that was the end of the 20 years of dominance by the 9ers. We might have had a slightly graceful decent into mediocrity from 99-02 but it all started with Young getting KO'ed. Easily worst moment in recent memory.
There is a lot here that is simply wrong. How about the OJ trade? Threepeat? Bill Walsh's semi-pushed retirement? TDon?

The drafting of one player, even had he been Ryan Leaf, can't really be compared.
Roger Craig. Fumble.
Originally posted by iceberg450r:

Correct.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Drafting Alex COULD have been one of the better moves had we coached him up properly and surrounded him with better talent from the get go. But I see what you're saying and completely agree. Unfortunately for Alex...he's the symbol of the systemic failure of the last decade.