LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 110 users in the forums

Decisions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Taylor Mays trade - BAD (Has potential to be one of if not the best safety)

Not resigning Manny Lawson -BAD (Could have been great to have two 6'5 OLBs to pass rush and cover)

Not resigning Troy Smith - BAD (could have been a GREAT back up instead of Josh McCown)

Takeo Spikes not coming back - BAD (He had a great season and was a great veteran leader)

Nate Clements CUT - BAD (Can be a great back up and can help the young corners)

David Bass not coming back - GOOD (We have enough talent on the O line just need to figure out were to play who)

Aubrayo Franklin not coming back -BAD (Great run stopper and he was a Veteran that can help the younger guys Ricky,Ian williams ETC)

Travis Laboy not coming back - GOOD (Hes not consistant and hes slow)

Dashon Goldson - GOOD
Donte Whitner - GOOD
Alex Smith - GOOD
Madieu Williams -BAD
Jonathan Goodwin - GOOD
Larry Grant - GOOD
David Akers - GOOD
Braylon Edwards - GOOD

Many more but i dont feel like typing!
Gotta believe and respect Fangio's / Donatell's expert opinion that Mays was not gonna improve enough... and we had stronger options to develop.

Would have liked keeping Manny for a lesser price... but sounds like Manny was DONE with us and wanted nothing more than to move on.

LOL at keeping Troy Smith... not a bad # 3 option, but not worth whining about.

Think the world of TKO... but if they are impressed enough with 3rd rd pick Bowman, than so be it. Gotta give the man a chance to play.

Sounds like Nate wasn't willing to take enough of a pay-cut... fine, fu*k him.

Agree on Baas... was overrated and overpaid by the NYG... See ya.

Franklin's true worth became clear in FA... he's already "injured" for the Saints, and is considered a backup/rotation player.

LaBoy would have been worth keeping as a situational rusher... signed cheap for SD.

Agreed on the rest, and am gonna give Maddy Williams a chance before condemning that signing. He did make a couple of fantastic plays last week.
You apparently havent been reading what fangio has been saying about our safeties...he doesnt believe that mays can be a safety in the nfl, starter or backup, he had him behind 5 other safeties on our roster, and i do not know you, but no offense, i will take the opinion of our d-coordinator over your eye for potential.

Other than that, i think the loss of manny and takeo hurts our lb corps, but manny was too expensive for what he was giving us, i am gonna miss that freakishly large neck next to p-will up the middle, last year was his best year in the last 6 and a great leader

Troy smith, a GREAT backup? can someone who would be our number 3 qb, be considered great?

Losing Franklin upset me at the time he signed with the saints, but now im thinking that were better off not paying him, our depth along the d-line is pretty good, and franklin was too much of a headache
Moving Mays doesn't bother me. Harbaugh and his staff competed against the guy for three years at Stanford so they know what he is. If they thought he was anything special they would have likely convinced Baalke to hold on to him.

I liked Manny and it would have been nice to keep him, especially at one year for $3 million.

Troy Smith is still available if that tells you anything.

Hated to see Spikes leave, but evidently the staff sees something in Bowman and he's having a solid pre-season. Plus 3 year/$9 million for Spikes? . . .

I think Clements made the decision to not restructure so . . .

At the time the two moves that bothered were losing Baas and Franklin, I think we'll be ok at center, but losing Franklin could end up biting us in the ass down the road.
Originally posted by 49ersTearItUp:
Taylor Mays trade - BAD (Has potential to be one of if not the best safety) : apparently unlikely to be an NFL safety, let alone one of the best

Not resigning Manny Lawson -BAD (Could have been great to have two 6'5 OLBs to pass rush and cover) Lawson didnt do much pass rushing.

Not resigning Troy Smith - BAD (could have been a GREAT back up instead of Josh McCown): unconvinced. Not going to fret about a 3rd stringer[i]

Takeo Spikes not coming back - BAD (He had a great season and was a great veteran leader) [i]a good leader but certainly time to get his replacement out there and playing

Nate Clements CUT - BAD (Can be a great back up and can help the young corners) You dont spend that sort of money on a back up. Be serious

David Bass not coming back - GOOD (We have enough talent on the O line just need to figure out were to play who) Until a replacement steps forward, I have reservations about losing Baas

Aubrayo Franklin not coming back -BAD (Great run stopper and he was a Veteran that can help the younger guys Ricky,Ian williams ETC) Mmm, he was something of a one year wonder.

Travis Laboy not coming back - GOOD (Hes not consistant and hes slow) Not going to lose any sleep about him going

Dashon Goldson - GOOD
Donte Whitner - GOOD
Alex Smith - GOOD
Madieu Williams -BAD
Jonathan Goodwin - GOOD
Larry Grant - GOOD
David Akers - GOOD
Braylon Edwards - GOOD Good is too small a word here. It is possible, although there are no guarantees, that we will look back at this signing as a Garrison Hearst, Ken Norton, Timmy Mac scale of signing. Hope so

Not resigning Manny Lawson -BAD (Could have been great to have two 6'5 OLBs to pass rush and cover)

Not resigning Troy Smith - BAD (could have been a GREAT back up instead of Josh McCown)

Takeo Spikes not coming back - BAD (He had a great season and was a great veteran leader)

David Bass not coming back - GOOD (We have enough talent on the O line just need to figure out were to play who)

Aubrayo Franklin not coming back -BAD (Great run stopper and he was a Veteran that can help the younger guys Ricky,Ian williams ETC)

Dashon Goldson - GOOD
Donte Whitner - GOOD
Alex Smith - GOOD
Madieu Williams -BAD
Jonathan Goodwin - GOOD
Larry Grant - GOOD
David Akers - GOOD
Braylon Edwards - GOOD

I pretty much disagree with all of this. Haha. I see the opposite on each one.
All their moves seem very reasonable. Some players price themselves off teams and others don't fit into future plans. As much as I liked TKO he was not going to be here when the team makes the super bowl next time.

Taylor Mays trade - Judged not a potential DB--had other players ahead of him--too expensive for 3rd string?
Not resigning Manny Lawson -Fangio uses OLBs primarily as rushers and that is not his strength.
Not resigning Troy Smith - He's not at Ohio State anymore!
Takeo Spikes not coming back - Liked him but they are looking at long-term player Bowman.
Nate Clements CUT - Too much money for what they were getting. Rogers could be a better and cheaper CB.
David Bass not coming back - Baas had the good fortune to have a market-- took the money.
Aubrayo Franklin not coming back -Played well for a year or two but is replaceable. Sopoaga will likely do well.
Dashon Goldson -Found the market gods were against him (evidently other teams saw his 2010 video footage).
Donte Whitner - Excellent, guy is smart and will be a huge addition.
Alex Smith - A chance to play for a good coach in a very good system...finally!
FAs signings-mostly very good.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 27, 2011 at 8:26 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I wish we never traded Shaun Hill
Originally posted by daragon:

Dashon Goldson - GOOD
Donte Whitner - GOOD
Alex Smith - GOOD
Madieu Williams -BAD
Jonathan Goodwin - GOOD
Larry Grant - GOOD
David Akers - GOOD
Braylon Edwards - GOOD

I pretty much disagree with all of this. Haha. I see the opposite on each one.

Same here...thought it was a joke, at first! Some fans need to be educated badly!!

Dashon Goldson - GOOD
Donte Whitner - GOOD
Alex Smith - GOOD
Madieu Williams -BAD
Jonathan Goodwin - GOOD
Larry Grant - GOOD
David Akers - GOOD
Braylon Edwards - GOOD

Taylor Mays - It was pretty clear that he just isn't an instinctive player. I was sad to see that potential go, but he was the FIFTH safety on the roster. He wasn't gonna make it. At least they got something in return.

Manny Lawson - Wanted too much $$$ for a guy that wouldn't even start. I'd rather have Ahmed Brooks. He also can't rush the passer...something he needs to do as an OLB in a 3-4.

Troy Smith - Um, why? He'd be the third QB and he hasn't shown any more ability than McCown.

Takeo Spikes - I like Takeo, but Bowman was drafted to take that spot. They had to move on at some point...might as well be now.

Nate Clements - HAD to be cut. WAY too much $$$$....especially for what you are calling a "great backup". He wasn't gonna take a paycut to be a backup when other teams would give him a chance to start. Come on man, think about it.

David Baas - LOL...wow, we are on completely different pages here. This is just about the only one I was upset about. Baas was finally coming into his own at center.

Aubrayo Franklin - I like Aubrayo but have never thought he was as good as the hype. I personally like Ricky. He just comes in and always plays well.

Travis LaBoy - Couldn't care less.

Originally posted by Shaj:
I wish we never traded Shaun Hill

I'm still fine with it. Yeah, he kinda became a fan favorite, but I was never really a fan.

He would be better right now as a #3 or a #2, but I never say him as "the answer"

Dashon Goldson - GOOD
Donte Whitner - GOOD
Alex Smith - GOOD
Madieu Williams -BAD
Jonathan Goodwin - GOOD
Larry Grant - GOOD
David Akers - GOOD
Braylon Edwards - GOOD

I really didn't want to see Mays and Lawson go. It would have been nice to keep them. We would have had so much speed on Defense. I wish they gave Mays more of a chance to develop and at least try him out at OLB. IMO it was very pointless to trade him for a s**tty pick. Would have been best to have him hang around for a year. He's better than Curtis Taylor, Colin Jones, Chris Maragos and has much more potential than CJ spillman or Madieu Williams will ever have. He could possibly bring a lot more to the table than those guys. Spillman and Williams may be better safeties as of now, but their ceiling is not very high. Mays has freakish athletic ability and I do think they should have given him more of a chance to develop but apparently Fangio thinks its impossible. Lawson is one of the best coverage lb's in the game and is a better pass rusher than parys haralson so he should have been resigned and haralson should have and still should be cut.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I really didn't want to see Mays and Lawson go. It would have been nice to keep them. We would have had so much speed on Defense. I wish they gave Mays more of a chance to develop and at least try him out at OLB. IMO it was very pointless to trade him for a s**tty pick. Would have been best to have him hang around for a year. He's better than Curtis Taylor, Colin Jones, Chris Maragos and has much more potential than CJ spillman or Madieu Williams will ever have. He could possibly bring a lot more to the table than those guys. Spillman and Williams may be better safeties as of now, but their ceiling is not very high. Mays has freakish athletic ability and I do think they should have given him more of a chance to develop but apparently Fangio thinks its impossible. Lawson is one of the best coverage lb's in the game and is a better pass rusher than parys haralson so he should have been resigned and haralson should have and still should be cut.

Mays was saying all the right things but what was he doing in the lockerroom? We don't know and that may be why they gave up on him so soon. But, I would guess Fangio likes guys who are smart and make good decisions over guys who run fast...if he can get both great, if not he might pick brains and instincts.
Starting this thread - BAD

Dashon Goldson - GOOD
Donte Whitner - GOOD
Alex Smith - GOOD
Madieu Williams -BAD
Jonathan Goodwin - GOOD
Larry Grant - GOOD
David Akers - GOOD
Braylon Edwards - GOOD

You're a fool if you believe Taylor Mays could be the best safety in the league, but nobody in their right mind would believe half the "bad" you typed. You're a troll. Go away troll.
Share 49ersWebzone