LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 446 users in the forums

Is Chilo Rachal About to Be Traded?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Please let this happen. Outside of Norris, Rachal may be the worst starter on this team.
Why not? Kilgore is on his heals anyway and appears to be the eventual starter. I know it's too early to crown 5th round rookie, but he was a Harbaugh pick. The current staff has no loyalties towards Chilo. That was a Scotty M. project.
Originally posted by strickac:
Why not? Kilgore is on his heals anyway and appears to be the eventual starter. I know it's too early to crown 5th round rookie, but he was a Harbaugh pick. The current staff has no loyalties towards Chilo. That was a Scotty M. project.

lol......

The guy has one good pre-season game against backups and he's "on his heels." Nothing personal, I know everyone on the Zone loves Kilgore and Chilo is the devil.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 26, 2011 at 9:09 AM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by strickac:

lol......

The guy has one good pre-season game against backups and he's "on his heels." Nothing personal, I know everyone on the Zone loves Kilgore and Chilo is the devil.

Makes me ... Rachal's actually playing well in this superior scheme and is still getting dumped on.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
This would be a bad idea. One that could prove to not hurt us, but I tell ya, Rachal was straight ballin' last weekend, and really only had one bad play vs the Saints also. Rachal takes a lot of criticism and rightly so if judging the prior years... but he was impressive as of late. Kilgore is very young and unproven, and Wragge looked like he could step in and start if we did trade Rachal... but I wouldn't do that. This superior coaching has him improving.

It's preseason. And I think you need to watch the Saints game again. Chilo looked terrible.

He's the worst starting lineman on the team and it's not close. Even Anthony Davis, as a rookie, was better.

We'd be lucky as hell to get a 4th for this guy. If teams actually do any sort of research when trading (obviously they do, LOL), a 5th would be reaching. If Baalke can get more, that would be awesome, but I wouldn't expect it. If he plays anything like he has previously, I'd accept a bag of hot Cheetos and a Coke, but I'd expect to have to throw in the $3 it costs the team to buy that bag of Cheetos and Coke.

We all, or at least most of us, have a great deal of confidence in Harbaugh to both change the system and coach up the players. We have already seen quantum differences in the passing offense from the past 6 years.

We also saw, although you have to look more closely, a quantum difference in the blocking schemes of the OL AND technique between the NO and Oakland games. I will suggest that despite the fact that Oakland has a much better DL than NO, Rachal played a near flawless game against the Raiders. What that suggests to me is that Rachal needed better coaching and the OL needed a scheme that actually gave them an advantage instead of a disadvantage as per Nolan/Sing.

Watching interior line play is not very glamorous, however, there is a lot to be seen there if one watches closely. The OL play against Oakland versus NO was not only more effective, it was technically and strategically quite different. Consequently, until I see more of Rachal under this different system, though I have been very frustrated with his poor play, I am not willing to jump on the trade bandwagon just yet.
I'm going to stop hating, and just watch and see if dude gets any better. I'll just focus all my hate at goldson.
Originally posted by dj43:
This would be a bad idea. One that could prove to not hurt us, but I tell ya, Rachal was straight ballin' last weekend, and really only had one bad play vs the Saints also. Rachal takes a lot of criticism and rightly so if judging the prior years... but he was impressive as of late. Kilgore is very young and unproven, and Wragge looked like he could step in and start if we did trade Rachal... but I wouldn't do that. This superior coaching has him improving.

It's preseason. And I think you need to watch the Saints game again. Chilo looked terrible.

He's the worst starting lineman on the team and it's not close. Even Anthony Davis, as a rookie, was better.

We'd be lucky as hell to get a 4th for this guy. If teams actually do any sort of research when trading (obviously they do, LOL), a 5th would be reaching. If Baalke can get more, that would be awesome, but I wouldn't expect it. If he plays anything like he has previously, I'd accept a bag of hot Cheetos and a Coke, but I'd expect to have to throw in the $3 it costs the team to buy that bag of Cheetos and Coke.

We all, or at least most of us, have a great deal of confidence in Harbaugh to both change the system and coach up the players. We have already seen quantum differences in the passing offense from the past 6 years.

We also saw, although you have to look more closely, a quantum difference in the blocking schemes of the OL AND technique between the NO and Oakland games. I will suggest that despite the fact that Oakland has a much better DL than NO, Rachal played a near flawless game against the Raiders. What that suggests to me is that Rachal needed better coaching and the OL needed a scheme that actually gave them an advantage instead of a disadvantage as per Nolan/Sing.

Watching interior line play is not very glamorous, however, there is a lot to be seen there if one watches closely. The OL play against Oakland versus NO was not only more effective, it was technically and strategically quite different. Consequently, until I see more of Rachal under this different system, though I have been very frustrated with his poor play, I am not willing to jump on the trade bandwagon just yet.

Good post... I missed the one by 49erRider till just now...

49erRider... You are very wrong in your assessment of Rachal. Some background. I don't need to work... I essentially live and breath for the Niners. I sit each day and watch the games over and over... sometimes, I even make written notes... and most of the time, I watch each play about a dozen times before I move on to the next play.

I know I can't prove this to you, and I know you don't have to accept my assessments as gospel. Just telling you... watch closer... and you will see that you are wrong. Rachal made one.. maybe two iffy plays in the Saints matchup. One could and should be attributed to Kap for holding the ball too long on a 3 step drop. Overall, he was solid, and Davis was the fu*kup. Against the Raiders? Rachal was... have to say it... excellent. I don't have any bias towards either player... just keeping it real and doing my homework. Of course, you are free to believe whatever you wish though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
6th round pick is all we will get. I wouldn't hope for anything more.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
6th round pick is all we will get. I wouldn't hope for anything more.

I should have also said that I probably was wrong about my initial hope for a 4th round pick. I initially said I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 3rd... not that I expected an offer so good though. But yes... we probably wouldn't get more than.. I'll say a 5th... for an OG that hasn't established himself as solid yet.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
So was Taylor mays, and he got traded.

Fine trade me to Niners Nation

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
A third rounder from the bungles is as good as a late second really.

Maybe, unless nate, lawson and mays (w/Rey Maulauga) transform the bengals and make them a top 5 Defense!

Watched their last game... fugly... Dalton was pretty wild with some throws, and got the Crabtree volley-tip treatment on 1 INT. Lawson was burned (awareness) for a TD over the middle, and Clements was playing off and giving up completions underneath.

Theys gots problemz...

Better them than us.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Doubt hes traded or that anyone would want his mediocre beast mode on their team. Hes routinely beat and if it wasnt for Anthony Davis he would be the worst starting guy on the OL.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Chilo is good in run blocking so if a team is run based and not pass happy, I am sure soneone will want him and/or feel they coach him up.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
How about Chilo and next years 2nd Round pick for Asante Samuel... the Eagle's offensive line sucks.

Damn thats who I was thinking of-watching espn and they were talking about Vick and showing him running for his life all over the field on many plays. Don't wan to trade a second and Chilo for Asante though, don't know what I would combine with Chilo if you want Asante, but not a second.
Originally posted by dj43:

Good post... I missed the one by 49erRider till just now...

49erRider... You are very wrong in your assessment of Rachal. Some background. I don't need to work... I essentially live and breath for the Niners. I sit each day and watch the games over and over... sometimes, I even make written notes... and most of the time, I watch each play about a dozen times before I move on to the next play.

I know I can't prove this to you, and I know you don't have to accept my assessments as gospel. Just telling you... watch closer... and you will see that you are wrong. Rachal made one.. maybe two iffy plays in the Saints matchup. One could and should be attributed to Kap for holding the ball too long on a 3 step drop. Overall, he was solid, and Davis was the fu*kup. Against the Raiders? Rachal was... have to say it... excellent. I don't have any bias towards either player... just keeping it real and doing my homework. Of course, you are free to believe whatever you wish though.
Thanks for this Oldman9er, I look forward to more of your "homework". Research is Truth!
Originally posted by NinerSquire:
Thanks for this Oldman9er, I look forward to more of your "homework". Research is Truth!

Here is an example of what I try to do... but I admit that a wrist injury makes me limit my observations to mental rather than written notes. Sorry if this is annoying, but people can scroll away pretty quickly, and know many won't give a damn... This was done on another site that isn't perfectly compatible with format.

[u]1st quarter OFFENSE[/u]
1st and 10 at SF 20 A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to V.Davis.
[b]* 3 second throw... OL held up ok, good pick-up block Gore... short throw was low to VD on a drag[/b]
2nd and 10 at SF 20 F.Gore left guard to SF 23 for 3 yards (M.Jenkins; S.Shanle).
[b]*AD didn't reach LDE in time for block, ended up being in Iupati's way on the pull block... LBs recognized and filled very quickly[/b]
3rd and 7 at SF 23 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass incomplete short right [W.Smith]. NO#91 W.Smith's hit on QB led to the ball bouncing forward, where it was picked up NO#41 R. Harper, who returned 31 yards to the endzone for an apparent TOUCHDOWN. The play was ruled as an INCOMPLETE PASS.
[b]*Staley beaten on subtle inside move from RDE... Joe expected Iupati to help inside, but Mike blocked down on the RDT. Scheme shows that OL were to block left... meaning even Rachal was to block the LDT so that Snyder at OC could block the RDT...which now makes more sense that Staley was correct in his admonishment of Iupati.[/b]
4th and 7 at SF 23 A.Lee punts 53 yards to NO 24, Center-B.Jennings. J.Morgan to NO 33 for 9 yards (L.Grant)
Timeout #1 by SF at 10:54.
[b]*Gore misses block on LDE (who looks to have blocked the view of Alex).... free rush around blind side in 3 seconds.[/b]
3rd and 11 at SF 7 (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SF 14 for 7 yards (J.Vilma).
[b]*LBs come in on the snap for run blitz.... good run blocking from all but AD[/b]
4th and 4 at SF 14 A.Lee punts 62 yards to NO 24, Center-B.Jennings. J.Morgan to NO 45 for 21 yards (C.Spillman).
[b]*Staley clears out RDE well... Iupati pulls and blocks incoming LOLB... Snyder does enough to keep RDT away... Rachal uses LDTs momentum against him, good job... AD hits 2nd level, does nothing... VD occupies LDE long enough... Norris runs into VD and falls down on his face[/b]
2nd and 5 at SF 17 A.Smith pass incomplete short right to V.Davis (M.Jenkins).
[b]*low snap... 2.8 second pass... OL collapsed quickly, but did just enough... most notable fail was between Snyder and RDT, who left anything but a clean pocket for throws. AD did well in pushing LDE wide of QB and then flopping on his back... props to Rachal for sustaining enough of LDTs charge (Rogers)... Dixon picked up outside rusher (safety)... Iupati and Staley did enough vs the RDE and blitz OLB... throw to VD was high (needed to be from tight coverage), and just batted from in front of his hands by the safety.[/b]
3rd and 5 at SF 17 (Shotgun) A.Smith sacked at SF 13 for -4 yards (W.Smith).
[b]*blocks were all adequate except for AD's vs the LDE. Should have been a false start, and AD still couldn't contain the outside rush. Showed zero power in pushing Will Smith wide..[/b]
4th and 9 at SF 13 A.Lee punts 46 yards to NO 41, Center-B.Jennings. J.Morgan to NO 41 for no gain (N.Bowman).
[b]*2.9 second deep pass.. free rush safety outside on right... All OL did well enough except Staley, who lost far too much ground vs the RDE (almost into QB)... Norris shifts out to WR... WTF?!? Don't know what happened, but maybe DWalker was held up on the route... or just ran the wrong route... VD was streaking close by and had good separation... He's gotta be pissed at his QB right about now.[/b]
3rd and 9 at SF 14 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass incomplete short right to B.Edwards.
[b]*3 second throw... no pressure worth mentioning... slant throw was about a foot behind where it could have been caught. (it was slightly catchable, but it would have been unrealistic to expect any receiver to get that one)[/b]
4th and 9 at SF 14 A.Lee punts 50 yards to NO 36, Center-B.Jennings. J.Morgan to NO 36 for no gain (K.Kristick).
[b]*Yay! 2 second throw and completion on slant to Braylon. No major issues to speak of. We're on fire now !!![/b]
1st and 10 at SF 27 A.Dixon left guard to SF 30 for 3 yards (J.Dunbar; S.Miller).
[b]*can't comment... my recording skipped for a second.[/b]
2nd and 7 at SF 30 A.Dixon right guard to SF 29 for -1 yards (Turk.McBride; S.Miller).
[b]*total OL fail from OC to RT... center missed the LDT who nearly tackled Dixon right after handoff... Rachal hesitated on his pull block because of that... AD just fell down at someone's feet... Dwalker did fine till he altogether stopped blocking on the play... Dixon gave up on the run direction designed after the near tackle by LDT... just a mess, thanks Snyder![/b]
[b]End of Period
[/b]

[u]2nd quarter OFFENSE[/u]
3rd and 13 at SF 24 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to A.Dixon to SF 22 for -2 yards (M.King). Pass -5, YAC 3
[b]* OL did well enough to give time for screen. Terrific awareness by the LDT to snuff out Dixon underneath the pulling OL and after the catch.[/b]
1st and 10 at SF 20 A.Dixon right guard to SF 24 for 4 yards (J.Dunbar; J.Casillas). New quarterback for the 49ers on this series is #7 Colin Kaepernick.
[b]* good pull block Iupati... AD and Rachal did alright in opening lane... Miller at FB with useful lead block... TE Reuland didn't finish his LB block[/b]
2nd and 6 at SF 24 (Shotgun) A.Dixon right guard to SF 27 for 3 yards (Turk.McBride).
[b]* nice mauling from Iupati was the key thing for this run... Staley went 2nd level and didn't accomplish enough... rest of OL was decent. The tackling RDE was left alone by design[/b]
3rd and 3 at SF 27 K.Hunter left end to SF 40 for 13 yards (M.King).
[b]* terrific pull block Staley on the pitch... Snyder much faster too, dove for defender but wouldn't have mattered much. Another fantastic hussle play by the LDT.[/b]
1st and 10 at SF 40 (Shotgun) K.Hunter right guard to SF 44 for 4 yards (J.Charleston; S.Miller).
[b]* Staley in 2nd level for block... Iupati struggles to keep RDT away from run lane... weak 2nd level block from Snyder... Rachal stands LDT up but no timely push forward... AD gets 2nd level block... Miller misses cut block on tackling LDE[/b]
2nd and 6 at SF 44 A.Dixon right guard to SF 48 for 4 yards (L.Torrence; J.Casillas).
Timeout #2 by SF at 10:38.
[b]* nice pull block Iupati... Snyder sets rush lane vs RDT... Rachal lets LDT slip off block, but not a factor... AD gets LDE turned away nicely enough... DWalker blocks well on outside DB... another unimpressive block fail by Reuland...Miller good lead block strong[/b]
3rd and 2 at SF 48 C.Kaepernick left end ran ob at 50 for 2 yards (J.Patrick). [b]PENALTY[/b] on SF-K.Williams, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at 50.
3rd and 10 at SF 40 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass deep middle to L.Long to NO 40 for 20 yards (Tru.McBride; C.Reis). Pass 17, YAC 3
[b]* Staley nearly gives up outside sack, but Kap helps him by stepping up in pocket... Iupati anchors well on RDT... Snyder multi-blocks well here to preserve pocket... all others do well in picking up extra blitz strong-side... great pocket work and throw by Kap looked very pro[/b]
1st and 10 at NO 40 C.Kaepernick sacked at NO 41 for -1 yards (J.Charleston).
[b]* designed roll-out gets blown up by blitzing DB to the play side. No one's fault... just bad timing for us to run that play[/b]
2nd and 11 at NO 41 C.Kaepernick sacked at NO 46 for -5 yards (J.Dunbar). FUMBLES (J.Dunbar), recovered by SF-J.Staley at NO 46. J.Staley to NO 46 for no gain (J.Casillas).
[b]* Staley kept the ROLB away... Iupati got a good shove on RDT, but didn't adjust in time to get the delay blitz up that gap by ILB... Snyder barely kept RDT off of Kap even with the Iupati shove... AD did enugh on the LDT... Rachal turned to help Snyder but couldn't really get an angle because of how badly Snyder was blown back... Miller lined up for block on LDE, but play was doomed already... was a 3 step drop, but Kap didn't like 1st read and just ate it.[/b]
3rd and 16 at NO 46 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick sacked at SF 48 for -6 yards (M.King).
[b]*All did okay, but a spin from the LDT left Rachal confused. Basically, Kap had time and just held it too long. (4 seconds)[/b]
4th and 22 at SF 48 A.Lee punts 40 yards to NO 12, Center-B.Jennings, downed by SF-P.Adams. PENALTY on SF-B.Jennings, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SF 48 - No Play.
4th and 32 at SF 38 A.Lee punts 33 yards to NO 29, Center-B.Jennings, downed by SF.
Timeout #3 by SF at 05:12.
[b]* current OL = Boone -- Kilgore -- Goodwin -- Wragge -- Person -
Boone handled the RDE well... Kilgore was free and prepared to help Boone... Goodwin was shoved back a couple yds and quickly by RDT, which allowed RDT to bat the quick 3 step pass... right side did fine.[/b]
2nd and 10 at SF 31 K.Hunter right guard to SF 32 for 1 yard (M.King; S.Miller).
[b]* Boone no trouble with RDE... good pull block Kilgore on LDE... Goodwin did just enough to preserve run lane... sloppy and lazy block from Wragge allowed this tackle, plus a DB slicing in later because Person blocked someone else instead... [/b]
3rd and 9 at SF 32 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick scrambles left end ran ob at SF 38 for 6 yards (C.Jordan).
[b]* Boone handled RDE spin well, and Hunter picked up blitz LB nicely... Kigore handled RDT okay until later when play broke down, no biggie.... Goodwin did well picking up stunting LDE... Wragge was doing ok till play broke down... play broke when DB blitzed around Person's out shoulder... Kap then scrambled to other side[/b]
4th and 3 at SF 38 A.Lee punts 39 yards to NO 23, Center-B.Jennings. J.Morgan to NO 22 for -1 yards (C.Jones).
[b]* Boone did fine vs RDE... Kilgore lost ground but anchored enough vs RDT... nice job from Wragge pushing DL before picking up ILB blitz... Person good awareness picking up stunt... rightside including DWalker block kept blitz DB away.. RoJo was well blanketed by DB[/b]
2nd and 10 at SF 38 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick scrambles left end ran ob at NO 34 for 28 yards (Tru.McBride).
[b]* poor camera-work obscures play development here... looks like Boone and Co. on right and Hunter block left made the rush lane possible for Kap.[/b]
1st and 10 at NO 34 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick sacked at NO 41 for -7 yards (J.Casillas).
[b]* Boone gave up a bit too much vs RDE... OL collapsed quickly from all over, and the late LB blitz doesn't help matters. 3 second sack.[/b]
2nd and 17 at NO 41 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short right to R.Johnson.
[b]* protection all held up... free rush DB closing on Kap and putting the pressure to force poor sideline throw to a wide open RoJo on 10 yard out[/b]
3rd and 17 at NO 41 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass incomplete deep right to R.Johnson (L.Torrence).
[b]* protection held up again... poor decision to throw to double coverage[/b]
4th and 17 at NO 41 D.Akers 59 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Jennings, Holder-A.Lee. 3 17
F.Scaccia kicks onside 13 yards from SF 35 to SF 48. J.Amaya (didn't try to advance) to SF 48 for no gain (C.Taylor).
[b]End Half[/b]
Share 49ersWebzone