LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 432 users in the forums

"Steve Young never learned how to read defenses"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Steve was voted league MVP one year and had ridiculously low INTs, like 7-8 the whole year. You just can't get that type of number unless you know what the defenses are doing to you in every game. Someone just has no football common sense.

I dare to differ, thats only pure luck.
Stick to basketball dip sh*t, you know an ounce more about b.ball than football.
I still didn't see Young as a QB that could move defenses. Young also played when there weren't many dominant teams in the NFC. When things got a little hectic from playing better teams, he really didn't play very well. His TD/INT ratio dropped in the playoffs. He went 20 TDs to 12 INTs, a 1.6 ratio. Down from a 2.2 ratio in the regular season. On the other hand, Joe's TD/INT ratio got better in the playoffs being at 2.1, up from 1.96.

We all know Steve could read defenses or he wouldn't put up numbers that he did. However, Grant goes to extremities but he does make a point that Steve's ability to read defenses is highly over rated because when defenses got tough, he didn't fair as well.

As for the SB, that was more play design, play calling and preparation per Shanahan than anything. Most of Steve's first options were open.

Originally posted by iohk:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Dude lives in Sac. Nough said.

What are u trying to say?

People move to Sac when they can't make it in the Bay. It's the welfare capital (literally) of California.

With that said, I was just kidding. I got fire fighting family in Sac Metro and I actually enjoy it out there. It's not quite the rat race you get in SF.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM ]
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Stick to basketball dip sh*t, you know an ounce more about b.ball than football.

so when the kings move to anahiem, seattle, or wherever, maybe that fool will be out of job
  • dj43
Napier loves to make over-the-top statements with little regard for fact.

Not worth much comment.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still didn't see Young as a QB that could move defenses. Young also played when there weren't many dominant teams in the NFC. When things got a little hectic from playing better teams, he really didn't play very well. His TD/INT ratio dropped in the playoffs. He went 20 TDs to 12 INTs, a 1.6 ratio. Down from a 2.2 ratio in the regular season. On the other hand, Joe's TD/INT ratio got better in the playoffs being at 2.1, up from 1.96. We all know Steve could read defenses or he wouldn't put up numbers that he did. However, Grant goes to extremities but he does make a point that Steve's ability to read defenses is highly over rated because when defenses got tough, he didn't fair as well. As for the SB, that was more play design, play calling and preparation per Shanahan than anything. Most of Steve's first options were open.

Okay Joe, you'll just forever keep putting Steve down, won't you?
b******t, listen to him talk about his Superbowl appearance, he praises Shannahan for having the perfect adjustments. I guarantee you Bill Walsh would never have kept a player at QB (or any offensive position) that did not know the play, read the defense, and execute the play as planned.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
b******t, listen to him talk about his Superbowl appearance, he praises Shannahan for having the perfect adjustments. I guarantee you Bill Walsh would never have kept a player at QB (or any offensive position) that did not know the play, read the defense, and execute the play as planned.

That's why Bill retired before he had to deal with Steve. Joking. Anyway, I still think it's partly true. During the playoffs, with Steve, I was never comfortable that everything would work like a well-oiled machine. Steve struggled in the playoffs for the most part. Grant is over the top with his comments, but he usually tells it like it is and he's no homer just because he likes the Giants. He crushes his own teams also. He has also been saying for the longest time that McNabb was over rated, even when McNabb was having damn good years.
That's why Bill retired before he had to deal with Steve. Joking. Anyway, I still think it's partly true. During the playoffs, with Steve, I was never comfortable that everything would work like a well-oiled machine. Steve struggled in the playoffs for the most part. Grant is over the top with his comments, but he usually tells it like it is and he's no homer just because he likes the Giants. He crushes his own teams also. He has also been saying for the longest time that McNabb was over rated, even when McNabb was having damn good years.

Steve, was good, until the game finally slowed for him, I think the reason he was so good at the end of his career, was that he was forced to trust his brain more than his legs, and he found he could read defenses! I honestly don't think you win a Superbowl with out the ability to read a defense. I am also sure Steve did not read defenses well early in his career, but to say he never learned to is just trolling!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Steve, was good, until the game finally slowed for him, I think the reason he was so good at the end of his career, was that he was forced to trust his brain more than his legs, and he found he could read defenses! I honestly don't think you win a Superbowl with out the ability to read a defense. I am also sure Steve did not read defenses well early in his career, but to say he never learned to is just trolling!

I didn't say he never learned. I said you can't put up the stats he did and NOT be able to read defenses. I'm only saying that that part of his game was highly over rated. I compare it to Kurt Warner who is another awesome QB. When the first read is always open, the QB looks great. It is when that first read isn't open that a true QB shows his mental ability towards the game and this is where Steve and Kurt struggled.

Great QB, for sure. His ability to use the "Force" is over rated. Brady and Montana are two guys who could move defenses because they know exactly what they want to do with the ball.

Also, to say Simms was better than Steve is a joke but that's all subjective because Simms wasn't exactly in a situation where the coach insipired him to play great.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I actually agree with Grant because he was talking about the playoffs. I was listening when he said that.

lol so he only couldnt read defenses during the playoffs? like in the superbowl?

Yes! It's true. Steve Young could ONLY read defenses from August through December each year. It was part of his deal with the devil.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
from Grant Napier on KHTK 1140 Sacramento....wow

also, "one of the worst hall of fame qb's at reading defenses, relied on his athleticism for his success"

i'm paraphrasing from what i just heard on the radio. does his statement have any validity to it?

Who?
Share 49ersWebzone