LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

2011 Schedule Analysis and Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope we kick the $hit out of the cowboys this year, man do I hate them
We sign T.O. for a one year minimum plus incentives and a clause about him keeping his mouth shut and not stirring up crap in the locker room/press. Plus he signs a release clause if his knee doesn't hold up. Defenses have to play us straight up because they can't double team Edwards, Davis and TO and put 8-9 in the box to stop Gore. Sounds like a major headache for any DC.
Think MD's has a bad 10 year hangover from some pretty bad and pretty sad 49er teams over the last decade. There where times in the 70's that I thought we would never ever play in a Super Bowl, let alone win one. Well a man with vision named Walsh turned the unthinkable around, and now we've won 5 SB's. The cupboard was empty when Walsh arrived, and he filled it up. You could see the change happening, and fell the change happening in 79, even if our record was still 2-14.

I believe we'll all be able to clearly see and feel the changing tide which Harbaugh's creating. The big big difference is the cupboard is all ready mostly full. Besides pre season is officially the time to be optimistic. I've got at minimum 9 weeks to hold on to my prediction, (10-6 Baby) and hopefully much longer. See ya later in the season OTC, and hope you and MD have to find us very late round draft picks next draft season. I'm talking 26-32, where we use to draft annually.....
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
To be fair, I think MD's take is extremely harsh. I don't think we'll be any worse than 7-9 -- and that's the worst I could possibly see. Still think we can possibly go 9-7, but 10-6 .. I don't know.

I'll be elated if they exceed my expectations. We'll pop this thread back up later in the season to see who was right.
[ Edited by Maui9er on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM ]
Very hard to see more than six wins. I like the direction this team is heading in, but Alex Smith is still the QB and there are quite a few questions marks.

Like others I agree, as the team jells we'll see a better team later in the season. You just can't expect a rookie head coach with a brand new offensive system, numerous new players, and a shortened offseason to do anything more than 5 or 6 wins.

When Harbaugh has year two, a new QB and a roster adapted to the the offensive/defensive schemes, we'll see if he is a guru or more of the same for this fallen franchise.

The one thing I will say is that no matter how the win/loss column sorts itself out, I think we'll see some much more exciting football.
That's been missing for so, so long.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Very hard to see more than six wins. I like the direction this team is heading in, but Alex Smith is still the QB and there are quite a few questions marks.

Like others I agree, as the team jells we'll see a better team later in the season. You just can't expect a rookie head coach with a brand new offensive system, numerous new players, and a shortened offseason to do anything more than 5 or 6 wins.

When Harbaugh has year two, a new QB and a roster adapted to the the offensive/defensive schemes, we'll see if he is a guru or more of the same for this fallen franchise.

The one thing I will say is that no matter how the win/loss column sorts itself out, I think we'll see some much more exciting football.

We had 6 (should of been 7 or 8) wins last year though and we now have a better coaching staff. I really don't see why people expect us to not be very good. Look at our roster on offense and we are stacked. Alex Smith will play much better in an organized timing offense. Go back and read his College draft reports. Many said he would excell in a WCO. Now this is his first chance since his rookie year to throw slants and short patterns. Timing routes, and screen plays. These things are exactly what got him drafted #1. The offense worked from coaches, and Smith made it work.

I also don't see us starting off 0-5 again. I would have to say 8 wins at least. Anything less is a failure for the season. I honestly think Harbaughs offensive gameplanning, and just all out knowledge are much much greater than Singletary's. Just from the little things I've heard, and hearing Joe Montana say this team resembles the 9ers of Ole. That right there is 1 or 2 more wins. Proper coaching...
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

If Sparano can takes the Dolphins from the worst team one year (1-15) to a playoff team (11-5 record) the next, then Harbaugh can get us to at least .500. Maybe we don't make the playoffs, but if Harbaugh is as good a coach as we think, he'll be able to get us a couple more wins than last season despite a shortened off-season, which all the other teams had to deal with as well. He's had less time, but at some point in the season that won't matter much at all.
much closer to season so i want to make my predictions now

seahawks- W- jackson is inaccurate they have a decent secondary but lack a pass rush also they got rid of there best LB no way they will be able to stop the run game

Cowboys -L- this could eaily turn into a win if our o line can stop one of the better pass rushing teams in football and if our D can stop there offense i think its definitally possible with our defense overhaul however i need to see a game first so i will count this as a loss

Bengals- W- rookie QB and there only offenseive weapon is AJ Green although they will have a very good secondary now there offense is way to weak to score on our D

Eagles-W - ok i know you guy will think im crazy for this i dont think vick will bea good qb once teams will be able to gameplan against him and our D is athlethic enough to stop the run and our secondary is fast and strong enough to stop the pass also vick folds under pressure which we will bring. There archillis heel on D is the run game which happens to be our strength i think we pull an upset on the "dream team"

Bucs- L- there defense (specifically D line) is too mumch for our offense (o line) i expect this game to get a little ugly

Lions- W- this will be a close game they do have a great D line (one of the best in nfl) but unlike the Bucs they dont have the secondary to back it up also they have a weak o line expect a lot of pressure on stafford this game it will be a low scoring close game but we pull off a W

Browns W- they are an up and coming team mccoy isnt good enough to beat our secondary and our run D will be too much for hillis to handle

redskins- W - easy W they lack the offense and D to pull of a W

Giants- L- way too talented D also there offense is very good i think we lose pretty badly here

Cardinals W- we always beat them they do have an improved secondary with peterson and marshall but lack pass rush also if warner couldnt beat us wth boldin and fitz i doubt kolb will be able to beat us

Ravens- L - we lose the harbaugh bowl to one of the best teams in the nfl

Rams W- i have serious doubts about bradford he had a pretty bad preseason and till he proves he can pass it long this will be a W for us especially since its at home

steelers L- yikes what can i say one of the best D in the nfl and a good offense to back it up we lose this game

seahawks L - i think CW takes over at this point and for some reason we can never beat the hawks 2 times in a season so we lsoe this game

Rams-W- again i think this is a W they dont have a great secondary and are not great at stopping the run our revamped secondary is to athlethic and much better than last year bradford wont be able to beat our secondary often (again unless he proves he can throw the ball deep)

10-6
Seahawks-W Their QB situation is horrible.
Cowboys- W The boys o-line and secondary need major work.
Bengals-W Run of the mill rebuilding team.
Eagles-L But a realllly close one.
Bucs-W revenge for last year, plus we will have a ton of confidence.
Lions-W This team is improving but i feel we are better.
Browns-L Will be a close game. I think they catch us sleeping.
Redskins-W Another run of the mill "rebuilding" team.
Giants-W This team has tons of injury concerns.
Cards-W Kevin who?
Ravens-L Tough team. Will be hungry this late in the season
Rams-W We have their number.
Cards W Again... who is kevin?
Steelers- L Defense too good.
Seahawks-W We will be out for blood.
Rams- L. Lets get some rest.

I think we will finish more like 10-6/9-7 I know this prediction has us @ 11-5 but of course injuries and road games will take their toll.
I hope to beat least year's 12-4 record in game predictions. Here we go:

1 Sun, Sept. 11 vs. Seattle Seahawks - WIN
2 Sun, Sept. 18 vs. Dallas Cowboys - LOSS
3 Sun, Sept. 25 at Cincinnati Bengals - LOSS (Look at the history of our record against EST teams on road games).
4 Sun, Oct. 2 at Philadelphia Eagles - LOSS
5 Sun, Oct. 9 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - LOSS
6 Sun, Oct. 16 at Detroit Lions - LOSS
7 Bye
8 Sun, Oct. 30 vs. Cleveland Browns - WIN
9 Sun, Nov. 6 at Washington Redskins - LOSS
10 Sun, Nov. 13 vs. New York Giants - WIN
11 Sun, Nov. 20 vs. Arizona Cardinals - WIN
12 Thu, Nov. 24 at Baltimore Ravens - LOSS
13 Sun, Dec. 4 vs. St. Louis Rams - WIN
14 Sun, Dec. 11 at Arizona Cardinals - LOSS
15 Mon, Dec. 19 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers - LOSS
16 Sat, Dec. 24 at Seattle Seahawks - WIN
17 Sun, Jan. 1 at St. Louis Rams - LOSS

So, a 6-10 year makes a lot of sense to me, with a rough start to the year, and a better second half.
Seahawks- W the offensive line is horrid and tjax sucks
Cowboys- L this could go either way easily but rob ryan will dial up a lot of pressure against our young line
Bengals-W rookie qb + limited weapons = disaster
Eagles- W i think the oline will get their chemistry and will surprisingly hold up their passrushing plus gore, hunter, and dixon going against their soft run D with unproven LB's, we can stop the "dream team".
Bucs- L This goes either way depending on our o line but freeman is an up and coming QB.
Lions- L D-line is scary and stafford is good when healthy plus do we have a corner physical enough to cover megatron?
Browns- W colt is gonna have a solid year but they dont have enough weapons to help him
Redskins-W Grossman? LOL we win because of that
Giants-W their secondary is paper thin and we have too much talent on the receiving core
Cards-W tards gave up a shutdown corner for an overrated QB, we will slice through their defense an we always shutdown fitz
Ravens-L Jimmy will lose to to his brother because of overall superior team.
Rams- W Bradford is a little overrated and still dont have enough weapons to help him.
Cards W read previous cards game
Steelers- L lots of speed on their receiving core with a stout D. Alex could get injured here.
Seahawks-W we have full understanding of playbook and demolish them. easy win.
Rams- L if we are already in playoffs we could start our backups which could give bradford a solid enough day to win.

10-6 could easily be done if harbaugh is the real deal and smith has a career year. GO NINERS!!

1 Sun, Sept. 11 vs. Seattle Seahawks - W
2 Sun, Sept. 18 vs. Dallas Cowboys - W
3 Sun, Sept. 25 at Cincinnati Bengals - W
4 Sun, Oct. 2 at Philadelphia Eagles - L
5 Sun, Oct. 9 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - W
6 Sun, Oct. 16 at Detroit Lions - L
7 Bye
8 Sun, Oct. 30 vs. Cleveland Browns - W
9 Sun, Nov. 6 at Washington Redskins - W
10 Sun, Nov. 13 vs. New York Giants - L
11 Sun, Nov. 20 vs. Arizona Cardinals - W
12 Thu, Nov. 24 at Baltimore Ravens - L
13 Sun, Dec. 4 vs. St. Louis Rams - W
14 Sun, Dec. 11 at Arizona Cardinals - W
15 Mon, Dec. 19 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers - L
16 Sat, Dec. 24 at Seattle Seahawks - L
17 Sun, Jan. 1 at St. Louis Rams - L

9-7 and NFC West champs
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
What should that gif tell me???
2011 NFL predictions
Posted on September 8, 2011 by Grant Cohn
Here are my predictions for the 2011 NFL season. I won’t project each team’s specific record, but I do project the Niners to go 9-7 and win the NFC West.
NFC West:
1. San Francisco 49ers
2. St. Louis Rams
3. Arizona Cardinals
4. Seattle Seahawks
Why: The Niners won six games last year with the worst coaching staff in the sport. The addition of Jim Harbaugh should be worth three wins and a division title.

Im with Grant on this one, regardless of how we did last season i think 9-7 is just about where we will probably be. We lost at least from 3 to 4 games last year under 5 points. So that to me said if the Offense scored, or the defense stopped at crucial points we could of won last year.

Like he said with incompetent coaching we won 6, so theres no way we dont win more than that. IMHO anyway.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
2011 NFL predictions
Posted on September 8, 2011 by Grant Cohn
Here are my predictions for the 2011 NFL season. I won’t project each team’s specific record, but I do project the Niners to go 9-7 and win the NFC West.
NFC West:
1. San Francisco 49ers
2. St. Louis Rams
3. Arizona Cardinals
4. Seattle Seahawks
Why: The Niners won six games last year with the worst coaching staff in the sport. The addition of Jim Harbaugh should be worth three wins and a division title.

Im with Grant on this one, regardless of how we did last season i think 9-7 is just about where we will probably be. We lost at least from 3 to 4 games last year under 5 points. So that to me said if the Offense scored, or the defense stopped at crucial points we could of won last year.

Like he said with incompetent coaching we won 6, so theres no way we dont win more than that. IMHO anyway.

Totally agree. I just don't see how we are going to REGRESS with better coaching. Coaching has been this teams handicap since 2002. We have seemingly fixed this issue. Sure, QB isn't amazing but it's mostly due to COACHING. Not going to get into a whole discussion about the impact of coaching on QB play/scheming, etc but we all know the difference it can make.

That alone should help. I can't understand why people think we're going to do WORSE than 6-10.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
San Francisco 49ers 2011 Schedule

1 Sun, Sept. 11 vs. Seattle Seahawks - WIN - We seem to do well in first games for new HC's. This'll be at home, and I can't see us losing this.
2 Sun, Sept. 18 vs. Dallas Cowboys - LOSS - Toss-up. Dallas is a tough opponent, but we always play them well at Candlestick. We have the talent to win, and their secondary is poor (I see a big day for Braylon).
3 Sun, Sept. 25 at Cincinnati Bengals - WIN - Very bad, although very young, rebuilding team. We do our jobs, we walk out with an easy win.
4 Sun, Oct. 2 at Philadelphia Eagles - LOSS - Way too talented for us right now. Barring any injury to Vick, we will lose this game.
5 Sun, Oct. 9 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - LOSS - Freeman is only going to be better this year, as well Blount, Mike Williams, and the young Tampa D.
6 Sun, Oct. 16 at Detroit Lions - LOSS - We have had ownage on Detroit in recent years, but I think their defense will harass us and they will wind up winning a close one at home.
7 Bye
8 Sun, Oct. 30 vs. Cleveland Browns - WIN - Another rebuilding team we face who is installing a new defense. We're at home too and we're a better team.
9 Sun, Nov. 6 at Washington Redskins - WIN - Washington is just a very average team. We are more talented, and should win this game.
10 Sun, Nov. 13 vs. New York Giants - LOSS - Unless we can solve the Giants pass rush, this will probably be a blowout loss.
11 Sun, Nov. 20 vs. Arizona Cardinals - WIN - I still don't think Arizona can stop our run game.
12 Thu, Nov. 24 at Baltimore Ravens - LOSS - As much as I want this to be a win.. I don't think we'll stop Boldin, Evans, Torrey Smith, and Ray Rice in Baltimore.
13 Sun, Dec. 4 vs. St. Louis Rams - WIN - We'll beat the Rams at our house.
14 Sun, Dec. 11 at Arizona Cardinals - WIN - See week 11 comments.
15 Mon, Dec. 19 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers - LOSS - It's the 2010 AFC Champs...
16 Sat, Dec. 24 at Seattle Seahawks - LOSS - We might struggle with the Seattle crowd.
17 Sun, Jan. 1 at St. Louis Rams - WIN - We play well in season finales and I think we will steal this one for an upset.

Final Record 8-8.

I don't think we'll be worse than 7-9, based on our schedule, but I don't think we'll be better than 9-7. Here's to seeing whether or not the 49ers meet.. or EXCEED expectations this year.

That was my prediction for our record.
Share 49ersWebzone