There are 240 users in the forums

BATTLE OF THE BAY CANCELED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JD81:
You are dead on.

BUT one thing is semi-overlooked here.....

The majority of the 49er gameday crowd (Raider game or OTHERWISE) is a bad crowd anyways. So many young, dumb, and drunken fans who are there repping the 49ers because of the Red color.

We're turning into Raider fans, people....If we aren't already. We brought this on ourselves.

The stereotype of the "Wine and cheese crowd," is dead. Now, we're gun-toting, gangbanging, drunken morons. Great. I'd much rather be classified as an old man who drinks wine and complains when people stand up in front of me at games.
yeah, someone on knbr this morning basically said that there is a reason things like this happen at candlestick, the coliseum and dodger stadium: run down facilities with no police presence. he also stated that "creating a family friendly environment will result in friendly and family oriented fans". he used at&t as an example of that. although i've seen fights at at&t, the are minor and not life threatening brawls.
  • dj43
Having been a season ticket holder since the Catch, I, along with my wife and best friend and his wife, quit attending the Raider game 10 years ago. We found that the kind of "fan" that attended these games, usually wearing Raider apparel, was just not the kind of person we wanted to be around.

As time has progressed, more and more season ticker holders chose to do what we have done - give our tickets away. We always gave ours to 49er fans who would otherwise not be able to see a game. However, it is obvious many sold them on Stub Hub or other venue, and they wound up in Raider fans hands. I realize this only made the problem worse but it was bad enough 10 years ago that we no longer wanted to be a part of it.

PS games should be an opportunity for the coaches to test their talent against other talented teams in the league, not just an area rival. I have felt for some time that the game against the Raiders has not been a good measuring stick for the 49ers. This year's schedule with NO and Houston, along with the Chargers, will be a much better schedule by which Harbaugh can prepare the team.

Out here in the Central Valley, I see a LOT of people wearing Raider apparel, and most of them could care less about football. It is about a culture with which a class organization should have no connection. Al Davis has a long history of opposing authority of all sorts, from the players he brought to the team to his own relationship to the league, Davis, via the Raiders, has cultivated a culture that often attracts people of a violent background and nature. Time to cut the ties and move away from this culture.

My apologies to any respectable Raider fans who may be reading this but if you continue to support an organization that encourages/allows this type of behavior/image, you should be ashamed of yourself. Time to find a new team to support.
I think all football should be cancelled all together and replaced by Women’s Field Hockey.
Who cares, preseason's a joke anyways.
Originally posted by JD81:
You are dead on.

BUT one thing is semi-overlooked here.....

The majority of the 49er gameday crowd (Raider game or OTHERWISE) is a bad crowd anyways. So many young, dumb, and drunken fans who are there repping the 49ers because of the Red color.

We're turning into Raider fans, people....If we aren't already. We brought this on ourselves.

The stereotype of the "Wine and cheese crowd," is dead. Now, we're gun-toting, gangbanging, drunken morons. Great. I'd much rather be classified as an old man who drinks wine and complains when people stand up in front of me at games.

I don't think its that bad, but I'll tell you one thing, the guy who tried to start a fight us was a Niner "fan" and he was a gangbanger. Three other gangbangers walked up to him and they started talking s**t and he got laid out. There was TONS of gang related activity at the game. Anyone who denies this is just plain lying to themselves. This happens at the preseason game more often than the regular season game because you have less of that crowd there.

Also, I had a ton of fun with a bunch of strangers who were Raider fans. We were talking trash and laughing the whole game. It pisses me off that the group I was with and the group around me who were Raider fans can't enjoy this game anymore because its some of the most fun I've had at a Niner game.
It is really too bad. Every single Raider fan in my section was with their 49er friend sitting next to them and everybody was having fun. Until i heard the reports on the news, I had no idea there were problems.

I did notice how ugly our fans are though- such a ghetto looking crowd.
Originally posted by dj43:
Having been a season ticket holder since the Catch, I, along with my wife and best friend and his wife, quit attending the Raider game 10 years ago. We found that the kind of "fan" that attended these games, usually wearing Raider apparel, was just not the kind of person we wanted to be around.

As time has progressed, more and more season ticker holders chose to do what we have done - give our tickets away. We always gave ours to 49er fans who would otherwise not be able to see a game. However, it is obvious many sold them on Stub Hub or other venue, and they wound up in Raider fans hands. I realize this only made the problem worse but it was bad enough 10 years ago that we no longer wanted to be a part of it.

PS games should be an opportunity for the coaches to test their talent against other talented teams in the league, not just an area rival. I have felt for some time that the game against the Raiders has not been a good measuring stick for the 49ers. This year's schedule with NO and Houston, along with the Chargers, will be a much better schedule by which Harbaugh can prepare the team.

Out here in the Central Valley, I see a LOT of people wearing Raider apparel, and most of them could care less about football. It is about a culture with which a class organization should have no connection. Al Davis has a long history of opposing authority of all sorts, from the players he brought to the team to his own relationship to the league, Davis, via the Raiders, has cultivated a culture that often attracts people of a violent background and nature. Time to cut the ties and move away from this culture.

My apologies to any respectable Raider fans who may be reading this but if you continue to support an organization that encourages/allows this type of behavior/image, you should be ashamed of yourself. Time to find a new team to support.

Agreed! At some point in preseason, it is not even about football. When you can scoop up tickets for $5.00 to a game, anyone can attend the game. It has more to do with the lack of interest in preseason, allowing all of the "other fans" to get tickets that would not normally attend a regular season game. And this applies to both the Raiders and Niners.

I am not saying those with less money should not attend the game, but they value the game and the sport itself much more. They have spent their hard-earned money and intend to make the best of it. When you can go to a game practically for free, you open the venue to those looking for a place to cause problems, versus doing so in their own neighborhood for that day.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
It is really too bad. Every single Raider fan in my section was with their 49er friend sitting next to them and everybody was having fun. Until i heard the reports on the news, I had no idea there were problems.

I did notice how ugly our fans are though- such a ghetto looking crowd.
"GO 49ERS!"
Originally posted by 76Razor:
yeah, someone on knbr this morning basically said that there is a reason things like this happen at candlestick, the coliseum and dodger stadium: run down facilities with no police presence. he also stated that "creating a family friendly environment will result in friendly and family oriented fans". he used at&t as an example of that. although i've seen fights at at&t, the are minor and not life threatening brawls.

The price of preseason tickets plays a big role here. Most of the people I know who go to the games, never attend preseason games because they don't care. I live in the city and its a short bus ride, so I always go. Everyone just sells their tickets for cheap and that leads to a ton of people who normally don't go. The preseason game is always more dangerous than the regular season game. ALWAYS. Plus some of things you mentioned above as well.

However, I will give a ton of credit to security and police...they did the best they could. In the second half, there was so many fights going, they just couldn't keep up. There was people fighting while cops were breaking up fights IN THE SAME SECTION. I saw a guy hit a cop. It was just out of control and the cops were outnumbered.

We won the last battle of the bay! Reigning champs forever.
this would never happen in the lingerie football league.
Its a fun rivalry, but really at what expense... it's become a certainty, not a possibility, that there will be brawls when these two teams play eachother. The fan base at games in general has just deteriorated, not just against oakland. When families who can barely afford tickets and just want to give their children some good memories, if they no longer feel safe at the games thats a problem. There will always be idiot fans as outliers... but thats how it should remain, an outlier not the norm.

There is pretty bad violence at college football rivalries, but you can chose to get away from the student section where 95% of the violence occurs, in an NFL game it's allot harder to avoid. Just another example of idiots ruining everyone elses good time.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
that's a good thing.

This. Not worth it.

Was Angel05 really still bitter from being booted off the Zone that he had to go shooting the place up?? Way to go Angel05..
Share 49ersWebzone