LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Demarcus Dobbs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I only really saw Jones miss tackles during game 1. Maybe i didn't pay enough attention the other games, but i think his miss tackling thing is overblown.
It's the combination of Dobbs and Smith. Dobbs soaked up at least two blockers and made it way easy for Smith to get to the QB. That's what it's always been about with the pass rush. Give the opposing OL more than they can handle and somebody is going to shake free and take down the QB or the RB. Sure worked against the Chargers.

Balmer is like any other player in the game. He thought he was worth more to someone other than the 49ers and sadly, it didn't work out. Still, he was not a loss to the Niners. They had more than enough replacements and they discovered big talent before, during and after the draft. They could easily switch from the 3-4 to a 4-3. They got the size and talent for it.

What remains to be seen is whether the secondary was as vanilla as the rest of the areas. With Dobbs and Smith in the game and two big DE/OLB rushers coming on the rush, life might be a little less hectic for the secondary.
Originally posted by JW40NINER:
It's the combination of Dobbs and Smith. Dobbs soaked up at least two blockers and made it way easy for Smith to get to the QB. That's what it's always been about with the pass rush. Give the opposing OL more than they can handle and somebody is going to shake free and take down the QB or the RB. Sure worked against the Chargers.

Balmer is like any other player in the game. He thought he was worth more to someone other than the 49ers and sadly, it didn't work out. Still, he was not a loss to the Niners. They had more than enough replacements and they discovered big talent before, during and after the draft. They could easily switch from the 3-4 to a 4-3. They got the size and talent for it.

What remains to be seen is whether the secondary was as vanilla as the rest of the areas. With Dobbs and Smith in the game and two big DE/OLB rushers coming on the rush, life might be a little less hectic for the secondary.

He was a loss in that they missed out on the chance to add a productive member to the team (D. Jackson?) with a first round pick. But yeah, I agree that the roster isn't missing him Balmer at all.
Originally posted by dj43:
Though Jones missed a tackle in the middle of the big screen, it seemed clear that he had more tools to be a ST guy than Johnson had to be a WR.

One of the grossly overlooked weaknesses of this team has been a lack of overall team speed. That has been hidden by Willis and VD but as a team, the 49ers have not been able to run with the better teams in the league. Consequently, it makes more sense to keep an ST guy with great speed but still unestablished skills than a WR with marginal speed and unestablished skills.

I agree that we needed an upgrade in team speed, but one fast guy doesn't help a lot in ST, as it can compromise lane integrity if guys are showing up too far apart. If they seemed to have ANY faith thet he could play defense and eventually speed up the secondary, it would make more sense to me, but I don't remember him playing one down on defense. I remember him racing down and missing a lot of tackles in the first game, missing a few more tackles in later games, and successfully downing one punt. I don't remember any impact blocks on retruns, either. I didn't want to keep RoJo, just using him as an example of contrast. Maybe I'm just overly butt-hurt over the Adams cut, but I don't see anything Jones did to EARN his way onto the team. The premise was that this is a merit-based roster, and the Evidence was the cutting of T. Mays, who is a speed freak that played well on ST, but was not going to contribute on defense. C. Jones is a speed freak who will be counted on to play well on ST, but will not contribute on defense.
I agree with keeping 7, mentioned back on page 1. Why? With our "no blocking OL" the major league weakness on this team, JH has to "coach around" our weak points and accentuate the strong points. Translation? D and STs are going to have to win games this yr, and keeping 7 , especially where it is a close call, makes a lot more sense to me.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I agree with keeping 7, mentioned back on page 1. Why? With our "no blocking OL" the major league weakness on this team, JH has to "coach around" our weak points and accentuate the strong points. Translation? D and STs are going to have to win games this yr, and keeping 7 , especially where it is a close call, makes a lot more sense to me.

Yup, plus I think there will be an emphasis is having young talent ready to take over for older starters. This defense depends on the dominance that JSmith brings, If we aren't ready to replace him when he eventually slows down, the defense takes a serious hit.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran

I just watched the game for the first time and "my oh my" was Dobbs impressive. If he doesn't get into the rotation, I'll be very surprised. He looks like Justin Smith out there just lifting the lineman into the QB. And Smith is twice the passrusher that Parys is.

Between Whitner mentioning that the coverages would confuse QBs, and that he expected to be used like Polamalu, I would expect a lot of trap zones, fire zones, and mixed coverages. It should be entertaining, at the least. Of course, Fangio also said that a lot of the defense has yet to be installed. That might just be gamesmanship, but it could certainly be true.
Dobbs is now No. 96. I like it.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

Like it also

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
How big and tall is Dobbs really??? NFL.com has him at 6'2" 275 pounds, 49ers.com has him at 6'6" 275 pounds, but when I watch the games he looks well over 6'2" 275 pounds.

Kentwan Balmer?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Kentwan Balmer?

Replacing a memory with a better memory! Kentwan who?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How big and tall is Dobbs really??? NFL.com has him at 6'2" 275 pounds, 49ers.com has him at 6'6" 275 pounds, but when I watch the games he looks well over 6'2" 275 pounds.

Great. The NFL stole our draft picks, Stole the team from Eddie D., and now they stole 4 inches from Dobbs! Blatant East Coast Bias!!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Kentwan Balmer?

Replacing a memory with a better memory! Kentwan who?

In that case i have enjoyed A. Davis memory over any memory of K. Harris
Share 49ersWebzone