There are 39 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Team of Under-Performing 1st Round Draft Choices?

Vernon Davis is easily one of the best TEs, if not THE best, in the league.
antonio gates?
  • Huego
  • Veteran
Vernon Davis is the best TE in the league. Lets see how the others do with a QB like Alex Smith, Troy Smith or Shaun Hill.

Imagine if VD played with a QB like Peyton Manning, like Dallas Clark does.
I wouldn't say these guys really under-performed, it's more like look at the person selecting them at those spots. I remember seeing Ted Ginn drafted and everyone was like HUH???? Balmer was a head-scratcher too.Crabtree was "because we couldn't pass it up ...." despite everyone else staying away. Alex Smith was the shotgun wedding (forced to take the #1 pick). Anthony Davis the jury is still out.
I think he means guys actually on the roster currently
I'm not sure if I'm reading that right, but Crabtree was drafted the year BEFORE Iupati and Davis, not the year after. Iupati and Davis are both 2nd year players and Crabtree is a 3rd year player.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I wouldn't say these guys really under-performed, it's more like look at the person selecting them at those spots. I remember seeing Ted Ginn drafted and everyone was like HUH???? Balmer was a head-scratcher too.Crabtree was "because we couldn't pass it up ...." despite everyone else staying away. Alex Smith was the shotgun wedding (forced to take the #1 pick). Anthony Davis the jury is still out.

Huh...Ted Ginn was drafted by the Dolphins. Now we have three former 1st rounders at WR. Ginn, Michael Crabtree, and Braylon Edwards.
Pretty cool, huh? I really hope Ginn can get things going this year. It sounds like he's catching a lot of deep passes in training camp.
Vernon Davis performed a bit better.... He's one of the best TE's in the league. He has 20 TD's in the last 2 years. That ranks among the tops of TE's and including WR's too. With an underperfoming team and QB around him and with the constant double team because we don't have many other threats.

What you stated 1st round underperformers is typical of underachieving teams. We busted on lots and it keeps us at the bottom. The Lions have done it for years and decades. We are the new Lion.
Originally posted by carlitos372002:
top 5 te peformed a bit better thats sarcasm right

he must of been bc getting 13 tds from smith equals 16-18 from most any other decent qb. If he had rivers like gaates had he would of not tied the record but shatered it by at least 5 more tds ....ya he has overperformed as of late 20 tds in the last 2 yrs 2nd among all wrs
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Vernon Davis performed a bit better.... He's one of the best TE's in the league. He has 20 TD's in the last 2 years. That ranks among the tops of TE's and including WR's too. With an underperfoming team and QB around him and with the constant double team because we don't have many other threats.

What you stated 1st round underperformers is typical of underachieving teams. We busted on lots and it keeps us at the bottom. The Lions have done it for years and decades. We are the new Lion.

the fact that we probably have the best lb and best te in the league mow as first round picks i would say we havent busted much at all compared to a lot of other teams. So many other teams have had ok drafts but many are not even close to having the best players at 2 positions like the niners. I would say willis and davis are great and the only team that has 2 game changers as draft picks are ind with manning and freeny off the top of my head....but then again manning and freeney may not be the best at their positions like willis and davis.....so all in all i think the niners did not bust on too many picks.
Originally posted by susweel:
Balmer

And under performing 2nd and third round picks.

Taylor Mays
Chilo
Baas
Coffee

no way Susweel, Baas has been a beast and now will probably gt a ring with the GMEN in the next 2-3 years