LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Pats going to 4-3, 49ers take note

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
lets run a 4-4-4

maybe no one will notice
This is such a bunch of Fooey, the year the Pats won the super bowl, they played in a 3-4 against some teams, and a 4-3 against other teams.

This is what happens when you have good coaching for an extended period of time. Nolan was trying to do a defense that could transition, but he could not pull it off.

Also the Panthers crushed the WCO niners when they came against ehm with a 3-4, so I doubt the writer knows for sure that this will make the Packers ineffective.
This is such a bunch of Fooey, the year the Pats won the super bowl, they played in a 3-4 against some teams, and a 4-3 against other teams.

This is what happens when you have good coaching for an extended period of time. Nolan was trying to do a defense that could transition, but he could not pull it off.

Also the Panthers crushed the WCO niners when they came against ehm with a 3-4, so I doubt the writer knows for sure that this will make the Packers ineffective.

If we go 4-3, I want Seifert to come back. He has a knack for picking up good defense lineman. Ted Washington, Stubblefield, Young. I go amnesic on Todd Kelly.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Well, that's one way to increase your number of posts.
The only thing that will make the packers ineffective, is if AAron rodgers has another concussion.

Originally posted by adacosta24:
couldnt agree more! Its tough being the only 49er fan in New England.

I live in Arkansas and everyone loves the Titans
And this is in Ninertalk why?
Originally posted by dj43:
I think Aldon would be very good at DT where his quickness and arm span can give him a big push. McDonald is also better at DT than DE, IMO. That leaves Justin at one end, and he has that great motor but is not the prototypical pass rusher, and Sopoaga (I guess) at the other end. I don't like that combo much.

4-3 DL need to be quick and agile in addition to strong. We have two, maybe three guys that could play it but lack the other DE.

Brooks is a converted MLB who still hasn't found his niche. I don't like any of our current OLBs in a 4-3.

Just my opinion...

Aldon at DT in a 4-3? What are you thinking? Tampa 2 scheme? No, Aldon is perfect for the RE 4-3... much better fit than at 3-4 OLB... but yes, he could come inside to DT on obvious pass downs. RayMac played as 4-3 DE and DT in Florida, and it would be good for him to get back down to 280 lbs and play DE in a 4-3.

...not beating or arguing this to death, we're just yapping here.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Lott49ersFan.
K... Wrong forum.
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriots-defensiveline

XM/Sirius buzz about 4-3 defense this morning points to the neutralization of the West Coast/Packer's offense, particularly the quick slants or passes which are very effective in defeating outside or around the corner rushes and blitzes because these defensive schemes takes longer to get to the QB. Outside rushes typically equates to 4 - 7 seconds to get to QB, while the West Coast QB should have the ball out around 3 seconds to beat it. You ask how 4-3 defense would be able to stop the West Coast offense, well they (radio/tv folks) said that an effective front 4, or 4 people that can collapse the pocket will render the Packers useless with their quick passes... (fill in the blanks)!

Don't agree at all.

Of COURSE the 4-3 is more effective if you can get to the QB with 4. Of COURSE it is. DUH!!

How many teams tho can actually do that? Very few. Why did the Giants beat the Pats in the Super Bowl a few years ago? They were just about the ONLY team in the NFL that could get to Brady with 4.

The entire PURPOSE of the 3-4 is to generate pressure by creating confusion. The O never knows who the 4th or 5th rusher is going to be.

As for the WCO.....The 49ers in the 90's had the most trouble with 3-4 Zone Blitzing teams. They would see a guy blitz, go to the hot read, and then find a DT standing in the zone. Thats why Carolina had so much success early vs the Niners.

Who was the HC in Carolina? Dom Capers. Who is the current DC in Green Bay? Dom Capers. Who was Dom Capers DC in Carolina? Vic Fangio. Who is the 49ers current DC? Vic Fangio.

To me, thats case closed.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone