LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Ian Williams' journey to the 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I think we really dont need our our version of Wilfork. big massive nose tackles get tired quick and cost $$$. Alot of teams we play spread us out in nickle and dime packages so we wont have a nose in there

Good point we spend a lot of time in the nickle/dime with our NT off the field. Some games against the Packers and Lions Sopoaga wasn't out there at all or only a few snaps. Someone posted this on the 9ers.com board

..............Def Snaps..............Def Snap Pct
C.Rogers........1036 ......................98%
D.Whitner......1035.......................98%
T.Brown.........1030......................97%
D.Goldson......1026......................97%
N.Bowman......1003......................95%
Ald.Smith .......1003......................95%
P.Willis............986 ......................93%
A.Brooks..........978......................92%
R.McDonald......962......................91%
J.Smith............819......................77%
Sopo...........362.....................34.5%
Francois......360....................

So if the site is right our NT will play about 1/3 of the downs. So say he goes 33% average, during the passing team games he probably plays 0-15% and against the run teams (very few out there) he might go 50-65% on our team but bottom like in today's NFL maybe having that Wilfork guy isn't a necessity especially for a team like us. However, you better believe if the guy is that good he would be out there when we are in a 4-3. He would play DT.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM ]
Could be an Alex Boone type move.

I'm confident in Baalke and our coaching staff to develop talent.
I think what the deal is Harbaalke wants to stay the course and continue developing their good young players. I know this doesn't excite anyone like a Harvin going to Seabags (good luck with that headache), but that's what Trent does. Wait for the 1st wave of overreaction FA acquisitions and then make wise, prudent FA moves. If we draft say,Tavon Austin, he'll be as good as Harvin minus the migraines. The point being 9ers don't normally ask out the first, smokin' hot babe they see while speed-dating cuz they think they're gonna get some.
Wasn't Williams inactive for every game last year (or at least most if them)?
with Williams and Boldin moves our draft needs change somewhat

I don't think so. I still see us drafting D-line and WR early.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Could be an Alex Boone type move.

I'm confident in Baalke and our coaching staff to develop talent.

Let's hope so! If he can hold his own, we have more draft flexibility. Still need some D-lineman, but maybe not as early, possibly a project.

still need a young WR that can play now.....DL can wait a bit
Originally posted by Byisgod:

I don't think so. I still see us drafting D-line and WR early.

D Line and D Backs early. I suspect only an early receiver (round 1-3) if a good, tall player drops down lower than expected.
If we re-sign Soap or get a new FA NT starter he would basically take the RJF role.

Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Wasn't Williams inactive for every game last year (or at least most if them)?

Had 3 snaps @ Jets week 4.... 12 snaps @ Seattle week 16 and then 17 snaps @ AZ in week 17.

( bottom line is, the coaches see him every week in practice... guess they are liking his progression )

I don't think the Williams extension means he's considered the starter t NT. I hope he's ready for that, but I don't want to assume that's the case.
Gotta admit that I didn't see this coming. I fully expected him to be released or cut. But in JH I trust. Obviously he's done good things in practice that warrants this contract. So they have to see him as someone who can compete for the starting NT job. One thing is for sure: this changes my mock draft. I had us picking John Jenkins in the first. I still think we're gonna get a NT, but not before the 3rd round.
Sopoaga and RJF are gone. So you will see more of him now for better or worse.
I'd have him, draft Jessie Williams, and bring in Sammie lee hill or Garay. Garay can lay all 3 positions. NT as a need can/will be a done deal.
Share 49ersWebzone