There are 256 users in the forums

Ian Williams' journey to the 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NCommand:
"Starter" is a worthless title for this team. All will play and rotate...a...lot!

Completely agree.

I hope Trent camn find a cap casuality from another team that can come in as a quality backup NT.

Dorsey was a very good NT so if he regains his strength and he can split time with Purcell, we actually might be in good shape. Scheme could help a lot too with more 4 man DL's and lots of rotations.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2016 at 6:04 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
"Starter" is a worthless title for this team. All will play and rotate...a...lot!
Ok here we go with that. . .

Buckner will be a 3 down guy

Ian Williams played the most snaps last year...our NT...at 60% of the snaps.

Gone are the Fangio days where our DE's play 1,100 snaps and never come off the field...and flame out and retire.

Thank God those days are finished.

Completely agree.

I hope Trent camn find a cap casuality from another team that can come in as a quality backup NT.

Dorsey was a very good NT so if he regains his strength and he can split time with Purcell, we actually might be in good shape. Scheme could help a lot too with more 4 man DL's and lots of rotations.

In years past. pre-Trent, we had some relatively good luck w/castaways.

Larry Allen, Kevin Goghan, Hacksaw Reynolds, Gary Plummer, Matt Millan.

Trent also made some very good picks w/Rogers, Whittner.

Are there any NT's or others out there that may be released?
Yeah I hate to see my boy go down again. Hopefully this allows him to heal 100% and it also extends his career due to less wear&tear.

I hope Dorsey can be ready no later then week 5,when Lynch comes back. Dial/Purcell will also be dooking it out for snaps&obituary solid run stuffers to me with decent pass rush upside. Not too worried, that's still a solid 3 thatre able to play NT.
We really miss this guy on our run D. I knew losing him was big but I didn't think it would be huge as it is.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
We really miss this guy on our run D. I knew losing him was big but I didn't think it would be huge as it is.

People don't realize what they had until it's gone. Ian Williams was an absolute star. A key cog. We have to find a worthy successor. We need Williams back next year, but we need high level insurance/a body of the future as well.
Ian is damaged goods, time to go out and get someone new next season
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:

I'm with you dude is injury prone
[ Edited by 9er2k on Oct 3, 2016 at 9:10 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Gone are the Fangio days where our DE's play 1,100 snaps and never come off the field...and flame out and retire.

I think he retired because he was 35 years old and was a fan of Harbaughs. No reason to come back without his favorite DC and chaos in the organization.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Totally agree!!!

Originally posted by jcs:

I think he retired because he was 35 years old and was a fan of Harbaughs. No reason to come back without his favorite DC and chaos in the organization.

Disagree.

Nobody turns down millions of dollars because someone got fired.

Agree that the 35 years old may have been more of a factor.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Disagree.

Nobody turns down millions of dollars because someone got fired.

Agree that the 35 years old may have been more of a factor.

Except it wasn't a normal lay off. Harbaugh owned his locker room and I bet his guys knew what was going on with the Front Office. There were a lot of questionable retirements as soon as he was let go as well as losses like Crabs who didn't want to play here anymore.
NT is the biggest need on the Defense.
Yea a lot of ppl really thought Purcell Dorsey and Dial would be the answers. Wrong They need to draft a guy and hope Williams makes a full recovery. I really wouldn't mind spending money on a proven vet here that would help Armstead and Buckner grow
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 4, 2016 at 10:25 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea a lot of ppl really thought Purcell Dorsey and Dial would be the answers. Wrong They need to draft a guy and hope Williams makes a full recovery. I really wouldn't mind spending money on a proven vet here that would help Armstead and Buckner grow

Dorsey only saw 12 snaps last week, why is the question?
Share 49ersWebzone