LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Ian Williams' journey to the 49ers

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm pretty confident in RJF and Ian Williams to get things done based on their play last season and how they've looked in the preseason.

The real question is can Alex Smith get the job done?
[ Edited by TinyHandsBigHeart on Sep 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM ]
how's ian's progress been throughout the season? will he be a future replacement at NT?

Sorry for bumping the thread with that thread title

He's been burning a spot on the 53 man for two seasons now with practically zero production. I remember hearing about how much of a coup it was when we got him as a UDFA in 2010. Is this kid finally going to challenge for a starting spot in 2013?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

He's been burning a spot on the 53 man for two seasons now with practically zero production. I remember hearing about how much of a coup it was when we got him as a UDFA in 2010. Is this kid finally going to challenge for a starting spot in 2013?

IDK if he will be a starter but if RJF and/or Soap end up walking he would definitley step in as a rotational player. I think we draft a NT high so he may have to compete for playing time with a rookie draft pick.
i thought he was on injured reserve ?
I also had high hopes for him. I remember reading that he was one of the best undrafted player available when we got him.

Don't know specificall why he hasn't been a factor. That said, we MUST draft a real NT who will play day 1.
Glad you brought him up. I think he's got a shot this year; been developing for a couple years and should be ready once Sopoaga/RJF depart. He may end up going the Boone-route. Boone it Ian!

PS: We MAY see more of a rotation on the DL this year...I hope!
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM ]
the downside to having most of your D play 90% of the snaps is the backups rarely get in there. especially on our d-line, sopoaga played less than half the snaps, williams would need him and probably rjf hurt if he wanted to sniff some consistent playing time
We kept him on the 53 because both Soap and RJF are FA's this year. It ain't rocket science.
He has been developing for two years. He will step up at the nose, next season ala Boone. He will be a great value. He was on the 53 man roster, because he would have been picked up by another team off the practice squad. The coaches see talent in him or he would have been on the practice squad for two years.

will be replaced
Originally posted by NCommand:
Glad you brought him up. I think he's got a shot this year; been developing for a couple years and should be ready once Sopoaga/RJF depart. He may end up going the Boone-route. Boone it Ian!

i cant see any scenario in which both RickyJ and Soap are gone.
My guess is he is a borderline NFL talent who we kept as an emergency reserve. Depending on how this off season goes he could end up on the 53 or gone all together. I think the zone gushes to much about practice squad players like they are all superstars in waiting. Boone is the exception, not the rule. Our practice squad is not full of future probowlers that the coachs are refusing to put in the line up. Odds are dramatically in favor that the answer to our Wide reciever issues wont be found there and that Hampton isnt Gore's successor either. I hope they are just as much as the next guy...but I wouldnt count on it the way some do.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
what did you expect from him ?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:

i cant see any scenario in which both RickyJ and Soap are gone.

You're right. They can't leave the position completely bare.
Share 49ersWebzone