LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Should the Niners Bring in a Vet RB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should the Niners Bring in a Vet RB?

Originally posted by boast:
WHAT! in limited time, he still averaged 4.4/carry and 9.3/rec. last year. he's great at picking up the blitz, too. probably one of the best in the NFL! i think Westy would thrive in Harbaugh's O for a year or two.

Totally agree
http://youtu.be/FbZ22j_X8fE

This is the answer to that question!!! Period!!!
if our line actually blocked yesterday we wouldnt be having this discussion
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Are some of you guys really panicking after last night's game? Really? Take a deep breath and think about it. No team has installed complex blitz protection schemes after a week and a half of practice. The Saints, with that no class stunt of theirs, could have embarrassed any team in the league that way last night. They were hazing Jim Harbaugh. The Niner defense, on the other hand, beat the Saints first string offense straight up with no tricks. If I were an honest Saints fan, I'd be worried about two things: 1. why couldn't their offense move the ball against a straight up defense playing without all its starters on two weeks of practice? and 2. why did the Saints offense need to pull out all the tricks against a new offense with less than 2 weeks practice? Couldn't they just beat the Niners offense straight up with no tricks like the Niners defense did?

Well said!!! Offenses are much harder to install and take more time, which is why in my opinion both offenses looked poor. But our systems are new, both on O and D, whereas the Saints have been doing the same thing for years now. This game was an example of a team in the middle of learning an offense against a team that is experienced in theirs blitzing the hell out of them on almost every play, to give Harbaugh a nice big "Welcome to the NFL."
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
RB is the least of the Niner's worries...true, Dixon and Hunter are both young and inexperienced. But, after just one preseason game, now's no time to hit the panic button and bring in a vet. Not saying they won't...there'll be some good players cut as the preseason wears on. It's just not among the highest priorities now. Rather, fixing the OL is priority #1. The Saints may've done us a favor by showing so many blitzes...it gives Harbaugh a clear roadmap to the things that have to get fixed sooner rather than later.

I agree about not panicking and that we have other issues to address , but the Rams were smart to bring in some insurance for Jackson and I wouldn't mind a move like that. Dixon still dances too much , and is indecisive.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
Dixon needs to drop some weight.

Not that! He already feel light on his feet with his dance moves.
I think Dixon and Hunter are quite capable of the back-up duties
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:

Back up duty is the problem. It's being a full time starter when/if Gore goes down. He means so much to our offense that I think our team would be in deep trouble without him. Westbrook (WB), filled in nicely last year. It was clear Dixon couldn't handle the load and I dont think it has anything to do with being a rookie. RBs are most NFL ready players coming out of college.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Back up duty is the problem. It's being a full time starter when/if Gore goes down. He means so much to our offense that I think our team would be in deep trouble without him. Westbrook (WB), filled in nicely last year. It was clear Dixon couldn't handle the load and I dont think it has anything to do with being a rookie. RBs are most NFL ready players coming out of college.

As runners yes, but blitz pick-up, especially as we are used to Gore - one of the best RBs in the league for blocking - means we will hold rookie/young RBs to a much higher standard. If Dixon isn't running the ball effectively take him out, but I think we should give him a little more time to learn about the RB blocking schemes.
I would love to see Brian Westbrook (BW) coming back to the 49ers; however, Harbaugh did not take flowers to BW in the off season.

Originally posted by kunged:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

As runners yes, but blitz pick-up, especially as we are used to Gore - one of the best RBs in the league for blocking - means we will hold rookie/young RBs to a much higher standard. If Dixon isn't running the ball effectively take him out, but I think we should give him a little more time to learn about the RB blocking schemes.

I agree. I'm just not all that impressed with his running. He shows flashes, but he's not consistent, He seems to run really hot or really cold. Anyway, just my opinion.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyniner52:
http://youtu.be/FbZ22j_X8fE

This is the answer to that question!!! Period!!!

"I have to have empathy for the 49ers fans. They live in a city that sucks, they go to a stadium that sucks to watch a home team that sucks."

Great comment lol
Have Dixon put on 12 pounds and our FB problem is solved because he is never going to be a NFL RB
Eh, I'd be willing to but it'd have to probably sacrifice the spot of a and go fullback-less into the season. Maybe a Clinton Portis or something.
Tiki Barber!!!
Share 49ersWebzone