There are 376 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Preseason week 1: The Good; The Ugly; The Same Old from Last Year

Originally posted by modninerfan:
I think Aldon left some plays on the field, there were times where it just didnt look like he was hustling as much as he could have. Nothing to do with him physically, I think the game was moving faster than him at times, which is fine... it was his first NFL game after all.

What gets me pumped is that he still had a great game statistically, once Aldon is up to speed he is going to tear it up.

also, he had his hands on his hips like the entire game... obviously needs to work on conditioning.

He had his hands on his hips after the 2nd or 3rd play...and went on to play very well for multiple quarters. Just because a guy puts his hands on his hips it doesn't mean he's out of breath or winded, he seemed to do it every play when listening to the call and then dropped'em off as he lined up. Maybe he just assumes that position when he focuses on listening.

Also, if you had arms that massive and rediculously long, you'd be resting'em at every opportunity too.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I think Aldon left some plays on the field, there were times where it just didnt look like he was hustling as much as he could have. Nothing to do with him physically, I think the game was moving faster than him at times, which is fine... it was his first NFL game after all.

What gets me pumped is that he still had a great game statistically, once Aldon is up to speed he is going to tear it up.

also, he had his hands on his hips like the entire game... obviously needs to work on conditioning.

He had his hands on his hips after the 2nd or 3rd play...and went on to play very well for multiple quarters. Just because a guy puts his hands on his hips it doesn't mean he's out of breath or winded, he seemed to do it every play when listening to the call and then dropped'em off as he lined up. Maybe he just assumes that position when he focuses on listening.

Also, if you had arms that massive and rediculously long, you'd be resting'em at every opportunity too.

lol, not sure if you read my sarcasm... but yeah I know what you mean... I have a huge head, which means if I stare at something too long my head tends to fall over onto my shoulder without me even realizing it.
[ Edited by modninerfan on Aug 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM ]
Good
Harbaugh is our coach
Aldon Smith
Football is finally back

Bad
We still have Smith throwing either too high or too low. Too far or too short.
Kap's god awful throwing motion. If he cant shorten that sh!t up, he needs to go study tape of Randall Cunningham's long, yet very fluid motion or else he won't have much success unless he's running. He's young so he has time to work that out.

Ugly
ALL of those issues are dwarfed in comparison to how piss poor that O Line is. God help Alex Smith and any QB who has to play behind this line. Iupati gets a pass, but everyone else... . I heard Ballke didn't want to bring Smith back, but DAMN! To not improve this O line so they get him killed? Dang, Baalke is gangsta for that sh!t.
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Aug 13, 2011 at 12:42 AM ]

What else should he do with his freakish long arms! kids a beast. The defense needs more talent. If we hit again and it's secondary or another passrusher we could be a great defense why jim works the offense into shape!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Aug 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM ]
Dixon will not be the second back for long.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Way to soon, too throw colin, under the bus sir! yes he'd be an amazing running back. Hunter is exciting!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Aug 13, 2011 at 1:04 AM ]
Not sure what spell-check really is... but it's got to be something worth looking into.
honestly what this shows is that this team is nowhere near ready for the season its not just rust. I think because they're switching from the spread to the WCO, it's overwhelming the 49ers because none of the players have history or good history in this system and they have to learn it in 2 weeks. The way things went today was no surprise whatsoever while I expect the offense to be a little better throughout the season, because of the lack of time and experience in this system I don't expect too much. Harbaugh doesn't want to show his hand which is understandable but if this team is struggling with basic plays in this scheme, it's pretty safe to say that he won't introduce those types of plays until the later part of the season or next year. I find it hard to believe that Smith and Kaepernick will understand what it takes to be a QB in the WCO early enough in the year in which they will not be exposed for not developing the proper qualities to play in this system. In the WCO you need to be able read defenses, have good timing,be accurate,quick release and have the ability to detect when the receiver is open. Neither have those qualities it takes time to develop it Steve Young and Joe Montana didn't do it in 1 year either, hard to believe Smith and Kaepernick can do it in 2 weeks as well as the rest of the team. The team is also not gelling well right now it will take time for the chemistry to build even more so when Crabtree returns, whenever that is.

Preseason or not it doesn't hide the fact that they are clearly not ready to go into the season, Harbaugh will turn around the team however it won't be right away the loss of OTAs,mini camps and so forth have really hurt this team.
[ Edited by 49ersGiantspride on Aug 13, 2011 at 1:16 AM ]

I don't want to judge him too much based one ass whooping of a preseason game.

But I'm wondering if maybe adding 15 more pounds was a bad idea for Dixon. I feel like he was faster last year. And 230+ is plenty big for a RB. Not sure he needs to be 250 if it's going to cost him speed.
It's preseason, game 1, 10 days after the new CBA. New system, new plays, etc. Up against one of the best teams in the league, who decided to play the 1st quarter as if it was a regular season game. I mean, blitzing on basically EVERY play? Bush league in my opinion... But that's fine, we'll work on stuff in practice. Anyway, difficult to tell how things will turn out offensively because we didn't really get a chance to see the first team get into a rhythm (all the blitzes). But some individual performances stood out. Iupati is still a beast. Frank Gore is still the man. Anthony Dixon is a pu**y. Kendall Hunter could be a HUGE pick up. Braylon Edwards is an enormous target and runs better routes than I realized. Kapernick is a crazy athlete but very raw. Alex Smith looks shell shocked and that worries me the most.

Defensively I was very impressed. The d-line was penetrating gaps very well, and the OLB's were constantly getting pressure. Amazing how pressure on the QB helps the secondary play. Williams and Whitner look solid at the safety spots. Justin Smith is our best player, hands down, absolute animal.

All in all I thought it was a big improvement over last year. Can't really look at the scores in preseason (obviously as we are 7-1 the past two years in preseason). I'm keeping the faith!
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/13/3835310/quarterbacks-take-a-beating.html#mi_rss=49ers

"We probably pressured more in this preseason game than we have in (any) others," Saints coach Sean Paytonsaid.

Oh yeah? -Well f**k you, too, a*****e. Payton is a dick, probably wanted to exploit/befuddle a rookie coach.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

But I'm wondering if maybe adding 15 more pounds was a bad idea for Dixon. I feel like he was faster last year. And 230+ is plenty big for a RB. Not sure he needs to be 250 if it's going to cost him speed.

I'm not going to say Dixon impressed at all, but it seems like there are just never holes when he's in the game. I can't help but wonder if theres something in the play calling for the types of plays that've been designed for him, or something opposing D's pick up on, that make his run plays failures before the ball is ever snapped.
I think JH called Payton before the game and asked him to do it as a learning experience and to see which QB is not a robot.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I'm not going to say Dixon impressed at all, but it seems like there are just never holes when he's in the game. I can't help but wonder if theres something in the play calling for the types of plays that've been designed for him, or something opposing D's pick up on, that make his run plays failures before the ball is ever snapped.

He missed one huge hole. Actually, he was too slow getting to it.