There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Preseason week 1: The Good; The Ugly; The Same Old from Last Year

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ubaisore94:
I know that there will be a cry of Alexcuses, etc BUT how in the heck could any quarterback have done anything with guys coming in untouched or pushing the line back into the QB? I don't know how he will be this season, but I can't find a way to blame him for the time he was in.... the O Line (along with a few of the skill gus) need to make blocks... yes I know the love child of Montana and Favre could have thrown a touchdown with that pressure tonight, but expecting that form a QB is nonsensical

You get rid of the ball earlier. It really is that simple. The receivers were open on most of those blitzes. I don't know what Smith was looking at on the play where he rolled out and got sacked, he had guys wide open, but he just held on too long.
Kaepernick had a play where the LE beat the LT around the edge, but he stepped up in the pocket and completed the pass. Smith had a nearly identical play, where he didn't step up enough and could not get the throw off because of it.

Many of the plays deserved Alexcuses, but many did not.

i think Smith is trying to not stare down the receivers that he wants to hit like he usually does but he just wasnt able to use that technique well enough and the Oline just collasped before he could pinpoint a receiver.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Soooooooooo.............wtf happened today?

Preseason Week 1 is in the books for the 49ers. There's plenty of work to be done, but there were a few positives: OLB Aldon Smith, RB Kendall Hunter, QB Colin Kaepernick all showed flashes, DE DeMarcus Dobbs also played well in addition to others. In my opinion, the biggest negative I saw was poor offensive line play. I guess that's to be expected though after only 12 practices under their belt with both a new offense and defense to learn! Another positive to report: There were no significant injuries. With Jim Harbaugh, this team will get better! JUST STAY PATIENT!
Originally posted by scopur49er:
The Good:
Gore - looked fresh and healthy
Aldon Smith - showed speed off the edge
Dobbs - Now granted he wasn't going up against first teamers but he still looked like he could add depth to the d-line
Iupati - He's gonna be a pro bowler soon, I can feel it
Brooks - He was bringin' heat off the edge and had some sack opportunities

The Bad:
Alex Smith - continued to throw inaccurately and responded poorly to pressure
Kap - I liked his mobility but he was inaccurate, even when he had time. Did anyone else notice that his throwing motion looked kinda weird?
Chilo Rachel - This guy needs to get taken out of the starting lineup. He just seems lost out there, missing blocking assignments far too often.
Snyder - Granted he's not the starting center but he's best suited playing Guard anyway and needs to get moved over there.
Blitz Pickup - The team knew the Saints bring a lot of heat but they didn't adapt well at all, allowing the pocket to collapse too quickly. I blame this partly on the coaching staff not adjusting the blocking scheme but also on the line in general and the QBs for not noticing the defensive shifts.

What makes you think coaches have put in a lot of these blocking schemes? They possibly haven't even had time to do such. A good amount of this team has only been together a few practices. You think they put together a gameplan to where NO was going to blitz every down? No. This team has been together for a couple seasons throwing blitz's at a 7 practice old team. It's pretty unfair if you think about it.
  • mod
  • Veteran
The Good
Justin Smith
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
DeMarcus Dobbs
Donte Whitner
Navorro Bowman
David Akers
Andy Lee
Colin Jones

The Meh
Xavier Omon
Kendall Hunter
Larry Grant

The Bad
Anthony Dixon
Joe Staley
Mike Iupati

The Ugly
Alex Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Every Center
Anthony Davis
Chilo Rachal
Applwhite
Brian Jennings - your snaps were fine... but seriously, get a tan. Looks like he hasnt seen the sun in years lol
Everybody on Special Teams not mentioned...

The Unknown
The entire receiving corps from WR to TE... there was no way to evaluate this group today

My analysis...

Its impossible for us to truly judge these guys, what gives me some sliver of hope is that I truly believe Harbaugh kept the plays as simple and vanilla as possible. My reason is because Harbaugh continued to run similar style formations and didnt adjust to the pass rush. You dont have your QB's continue taking 3 step drops against 6-7 man pass rush, he's obviously not showing all his cards. With that said, Alex Smith dropped back to pass just 7 times, I dont remember him really having time to throw at all... I suggest that everybody take our QB's performance with a grain of salt... yes Alex and Colin sucked but today's performance doesnt indicate anything other than our s**tty o-line play and playcalling.

There will be people criticizing Alex and calling for Colin to start, but todays performance showed that Colin is no better, if anything he's probably worse... the good thing is that Kaepernick showed a lot of potential, I honestly believe we might have something. Kaepernick has amazing velocity and mobility, it was nice to finally see it. However, Kaepernick needs to improve his delivery, reads and decision making... all things that come with time and practice

Overall, I think Harbaugh failed to put our offense in a position to succeed, couple that with poor play from our Centers and the QB's had no chance. This is preseason so its not a big deal... I have faith that Harbaugh and co. know what they are doing.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Chief:
Good
1st string defense looked solid.
Frank Gore looks recovered.
Our coach looked like he knew what was going wrong.
Aldon Smith played pretty good for his first game at the position.

Bad
O-line looked like ass.
Kap showed a little bit but overall I was not impressed at all.
Dixon honestly sucks and will be the 3rd string back.

the bolded is key.........good observation

good points

Harbaugh's body language very good. Completely different compared to Singletary.

much to work, especially with our disastrous O-line
Originally posted by modninerfan:
The Good
Justin Smith
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
DeMarcus Dobbs
Donte Whitner
Navorro Bowman
David Akers
Andy Lee
Colin Jones

The Meh
Xavier Omon
Kendall Hunter
Larry Grant

The Bad
Anthony Dixon
Joe Staley
Mike Iupati

The Ugly
Alex Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Every Center
Anthony Davis
Chilo Rachal
Applwhite
Brian Jennings - your snaps were fine... but seriously, get a tan. Looks like he hasnt seen the sun in years lol

The Unknown
The entire receiving corps from WR to TE... there was no way to evaluate this group today

My analysis...

Its impossible for us to truly judge these guys, what gives me some sliver of hope is that I truly believe Harbaugh kept the plays as simple and vanilla as possible. My reason is because Harbaugh continued to run similar style formations and didnt adjust to the pass rush. You dont have your QB's continue taking 3 step drops against 6-7 man pass rush, he's obviously not showing all his cards. With that said, Alex Smith dropped back to pass just 7 times, I dont remember him really having time to throw at all... I suggest that everybody take our QB's performance with a grain of salt... yes Alex and Colin sucked but today's performance doesnt indicate anything other than our s**tty o-line play and playcalling.

There will be people criticizing Alex and calling for Colin to start, but todays performance showed that Colin is no better, if anything he's probably worse... the good thing is that Kaepernick showed a lot of potential, I honestly believe we might have something. Kaepernick has amazing velocity and mobility, it was nice to finally see it. However, Kaepernick needs to improve his delivery, reads and decision making... all things that come with time and practice

Overall, I think Harbaugh failed to put our offense in a position to succeed, couple that with poor play from our Centers and the QB's had no chance. This is preseason so its not a big deal... I have faith that Harbaugh and co. know what they are doing.
I agree with you here, and it seems like most people do as well. You would think this board would be in complete chaos after tonight but everyones surprisingly civil. Probably the quietest its been in a while. This team played like crap tonight but honestly what do you expect? There is no possible way the OL is that bad, we've seen em play before, they were just flat and couldn't pick up these insane blitz's that were getting thrown at em. There is no way to judge this offense but it does show we still have a long way to go. Kind of getting worried that it's gonna take a lot more than 4 weeks to get everything together.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I agree with you here, and it seems like most people do as well. You would think this board would be in complete chaos after tonight but everyones surprisingly civil. Probably the quietest its been in a while. This team played like crap tonight but honestly what do you expect? There is no possible way the OL is that bad, we've seen em play before, they were just flat and couldn't pick up these insane blitz's that were getting thrown at em. There is no way to judge this offense but it does show we still have a long way to go. Kind of getting worried that it's gonna take a lot more than 4 weeks to get everything together.

I was more pissed at the Saints DC for sending these crazy blitzes 9 out of 10 plays... its the preseason for gods sake. It was frustrating because it made it so difficult to analyze the players. Its not about winning in the preseason... Our defense was able to shut down their starting offense without sending a blitz every play, our D looks promising.
The Good
Justin Smith
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
DeMarcus Dobbs
Donte Whitner
Navorro Bowman
David Akers
Andy Lee
Colin Jones

The Meh
Xavier Omon
Kendall Hunter
Larry Grant

The Bad
Anthony Dixon
Joe Staley
Mike Iupati

The Ugly
Alex Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Every Center
Anthony Davis
Chilo Rachal
Applwhite

The Unknown

My analysis...

Good post. Agree with all of it.
Originally posted by scopur49er:
The Good:
Gore - looked fresh and healthy
Aldon Smith - showed speed off the edge
Dobbs - Now granted he wasn't going up against first teamers but he still looked like he could add depth to the d-line
Iupati - He's gonna be a pro bowler soon, I can feel it
Brooks - He was bringin' heat off the edge and had some sack opportunities

The Bad:
Alex Smith - continued to throw inaccurately and responded poorly to pressure
Kap - I liked his mobility but he was inaccurate, even when he had time. Did anyone else notice that his throwing motion looked kinda weird?
Chilo Rachel - This guy needs to get taken out of the starting lineup. He just seems lost out there, missing blocking assignments far too often.
Snyder - Granted he's not the starting center but he's best suited playing Guard anyway and needs to get moved over there.
Blitz Pickup - The team knew the Saints bring a lot of heat but they didn't adapt well at all, allowing the pocket to collapse too quickly. I blame this partly on the coaching staff not adjusting the blocking scheme but also on the line in general and the QBs for not noticing the defensive shifts.

What makes you think coaches have put in a lot of these blocking schemes? They possibly haven't even had time to do such. A good amount of this team has only been together a few practices. You think they put together a gameplan to where NO was going to blitz every down? No. This team has been together for a couple seasons throwing blitz's at a 7 practice old team. It's pretty unfair if you think about it.
Harbaugh and his staff are aware of what kind of defense the Saints run. Sure they didn't have as much time as they'd like to plan for it but it was a relentless blitz and you just don't let that go on for most of the game without adjusting your blocking schemes. The last thing they need is a QB getting pummelled and injured in a preseason game.
Early thoughts on what matters most...

OL fail... Alex had the 1st pass low to VD, that's on him.... small INC, no biggie.

Pass to Braylon last throw? was too far behind him on the slant. Besides that? The OL was atrocious, and we didn't seem to have an answer for the excessive pressure.

I was more pissed at the Saints DC for sending these crazy blitzes 9 out of 10 plays... its the preseason for gods sake. It was frustrating because it made it so difficult to analyze the players. Its not about winning in the preseason... Our defense was able to shut down their starting offense without sending a blitz every play, our D looks promising.

Good though (because no injury) , but we NEED to know how to fix sh*t. Harbaugh will fix this...
I'm glad the saints blitzed the hell out of us, I hope ALex mans the f**k up and shows something against the raiders.

for all you josh johnson sack riders........

J. Johnson 7/12 108 1 0

In their game tonight.
Watch Bradford play tomorrow if you wanna see a real QB in the making.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I'm glad the saints blitzed the hell out of us, I hope ALex mans the f**k up and shows something against the raiders.

for all you josh johnson sack riders........

J. Johnson 7/12 108 1 0

In their game tonight.
Would be curious to see Johnson behind our o-line tonight.