There are 263 users in the forums

One thing I have never understood

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by carlgo:
Fans are judging guys who played in an awful system, some of them for years. We are going to find that some of these guys were severely handicapped by that and will surprise us when they get coached up and put into positions where they can succeed. Some won't, of course, but at least they will get a chance to succeed.

Yeah man I am with you, I bet we see better play across the board this year, being a former player (in high school) we went from having an amateur coach to someone that knew what they were doing, it was night and day.
Soap is going to BEAST it inside. Franklin got a little overrated after a big year in 2009. 2010 was more avg and he's on the wrong side of 30. I agree bringing him back for 1 year would have been nice but I don't think NT will be a problem for the 49ers.
We will be just fine with Sopoaga and RJF
I think Soap can atleast be an average NT. If not, I think our D will really struggle. I remember that being a big problem on D before Franklin's impressive 2009 season
Fans are judging guys who played in an awful system, some of them for years. We are going to find that some of these guys were severely handicapped by that and will surprise us when they get coached up and put into positions where they can succeed. Some won't, of course, but at least they will get a chance to succeed.

agreed
Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Bay_Area_Fan:
or maybe they thought he was out of shape?

That's the official joke of the summer

LMAO
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aman49:

That's the official joke of the summer
I'm missing something...how is that pic funny???
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Yeah man I am with you, I bet we see better play across the board this year, being a former player (in high school) we went from having an amateur coach to someone that knew what they were doing, it was night and day.

Going to be interesting. I wonder, though, with the short offseason if we might not have to wait until next year to see the real impact of good coaching on our squad.
Originally posted by English:
Going to be interesting. I wonder, though, with the short offseason if we might not have to wait until next year to see the real impact of good coaching on our squad.

I expect better play over the course of the season, I am expecting a kind of sloppy start.

Soap was forced to play 2 gap when he was playing nose his first few years. Franklin can't play two gap either.

As a 1 gapper, I think Soap is going to be good to great.

RJF played well in relief. He was up to 317 last year so he is about the same size as Franklin.

I was impressed with Franklin in 2009. But last year, because he signed his franchise tender so late, I think he came in unprepared, out of shape at the beginning of the year. I think he was ho hum last year. I know P-Willy loves him but I think the gig will be up for him in NO. He is not a Pat Williams, Ted Washington, Gilbert Brown space eater that can just be a blob and play until his late thirties.

I am intrigued by Ian Williams too. From what I read, he was the #1 rated overall UDFA and I am stoked with got him.

Soap can play DE and so can RJF so we might some rotation too, and some 4 man fronts.

We gave him the Franchise Tender and he got $7 million and he wasn't happy. WTF?
[ Edited by wysiwyg on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM ]
He has medical concerns. Link: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/08/defensive_tackle_brodrick_bunk.html

Scott

this

a valid point, though if it were made about a certain player it would be called an alexcuse
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Broderick Bunkley is not a NT, he would most likely play DE in our system.

This should really have been the only answer
Share 49ersWebzone