There are 208 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DETROIT LIONS GAMEDAY THREAD ***

Alex had a bad day & needs to step it up. Yes, the TD at the end was probably redeeming, but you can't really win games with 120+ yds passing per game. Last minute heroics will carry you only so far.

Also, Walker should get a lot of credit for making it happen on 4th down.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by g60nx:
Where was VD in the game...was he even playing? Sry I had to ask I didn't see/hear him much --none-- in the game

(I watched the game through stream live because I was out of town... the quality wasn't so good...but I enjoy every bit of niners)

I have had this problem with VD, unless the gameplan is designed around him, it seems like he disappears..

Actually, I think they kept him in to block...ALOT.

This could be the case, as my stream kept freezing up this week, so I couldnt zero in on everything.

This,
I really didn't see VD running routes

man.... i should drop VD in FF and pick of Delanie (lol @ announcers pronouncing his name wrong).

it's nothing against VD. he's the better blocker between him and walker, and they only lose the size advantage when they send out walker.

you got to know when to use him
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Alex had a bad day & needs to step it up. Yes, the TD at the end was probably redeeming, but you can't really win games with 120+ yds passing per game. Last minute heroics will carry you only so far.

Yes, but he should also take the blame for DROPPING the TD earlier in the game.
Fangio had some real good LB back in New Orleans. But the speed of both Willis and Bowman, I don't think he ever had in N.O. Patrick Willis an ILB against TE Pettigew and pretty much held his own. Bowman and Brooks was doing the same thing on Pettigew when he came their way.

The D-line was just awesome. Could be wrong, I don't remember we ever have to blitz once. McD, J. Smith and Aldon was all over Stafford when they had to. Last Lions' drive, first play, sack of Stafford -- Lions didn't want anything to do with a comeback drive anymore, even though there's about 1 min left on the clock. They walked up to the LOS all dejected like.

Ted Ginn, he shorten the field for the offense on the last game winning drive down to about 30 yds.

Offensive line made too many penalties, some of them drive killer. Running on that Lions defensive line made the difference. On a few plays they just ran right past Gore on their way to Alex Smith. All Gore did was do a stop and go, daylight for big gainer.

Admirable efforts from the wide receivers and D. Walker but we need more. We need Braylon Edwards to come back. Not sure why VD wasn't involved much.

Alex Smith had a really up and down performance. He had it all, good, bad and ugly. Receivers wasn't getting open to throw to except Crabtree and Walker occasionally. Gore also dropped a few in the game. That last drive, go 30 yds. 4th and 5 at the goal line. Like Harbaugh said, 'Clutch!'

Our coaching staff came up with a great game plan both offense and defense. We have a better coaching staff then the Lions. They didn't or couldn't make the adjustments to our game plan.

I know it's would almost be impossible to keep all of our guys together next year, but if they could. It's the SB!!!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The D-line was just awesome. Could be wrong, I don't remember we ever have to blitz once. McD, J. Smith and Aldon was all over Stafford when they had to. Last Lions' drive, first play, sack of Stafford -- Lions didn't want anything to do with a comeback drive anymore, even though there's about 1 min left on the clock. They walked up to the LOS all dejected like.

I think I read somewhere that we only send more than four rusher once or so, which means we generated an excellent pass rush with just the standard four-man rush. I also think I saw a statistic somewhere that Fangio actually did not send blitzes very often the entire season so far, because the four-man rush was doing so good.

If that is true, it is a great credit to our D-Line and to think of it, they still have five more chances to go after NFC West QBs this season
The D is sick.... and that's with a suspect secondary.

Sorry but i smell b******t.

There were 7...yes, 7 dropped passes by recievers where alex hit them on the money. Catch those 7 passes and the passing yards bump up to over 300 yards and an extra TD pass. Alex smith was not the problem (for the most part) there were still a few bad passes but by far, the stats show him worse than he really was.
did anyone else on here tape the game? i goofed when I set up the VCR yesterday and only set it up for 3 hours instead of 3 hrs 30 mins (d'oh) shoot me a PM if you have the game & i'll give you my address.
Originally posted by THEB:

Sorry but i smell b******t.

There were 7...yes, 7 dropped passes by recievers where alex hit them on the money. Catch those 7 passes and the passing yards bump up to over 300 yards and an extra TD pass. Alex smith was not the problem (for the most part) there were still a few bad passes but by far, the stats show him worse than he really was.

I hear you, but this is the same thing people have been saying for YEARS. Every QB has players drop passes....and STILL get 300 yards.

I'm not attacking Alex because I think he's played well, but we need to start getting over the "well his recievers keep dropping the ball" argument unless we start counting the dropped ball on all the other teams too.
General game note observations:
  • 125 yards is not impressive but Smith made all of the right reads, no doubt; lots of drops, only one true WR on the field, constantly in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and longs for various reasons, tough DL, etc. Clutch. Period. We played clutch when it mattered most including in the running game on that last TD drive to score and milk the clock! Took a few huge hits too (tough SOB)
  • 203 yards on the greatest defensive line of all time
  • Brooks/McDonald/Smith/Sopoaga/Haralson were unbelievable today and all for different reasons too!
  • Defense forced a lot of 3 and outs and even injured Stafford (beat him up which lead to balls he just threw in the ground; half-throws); fantastic tackling today! Lots of 3 and outs!
  • Staley gave up his usual "We don't suck" play right off the bat but settled down after that
  • Penalties: their defense line played in the neutral zone a lot AND were offsides on many plays (no calls), tons of push-offs by their WR's and holdings esp. on Justin Smith that were never called. 15 for 120 yards in penalties and it could have been closer to 150 if many of them were not declined. Weren't we one of the least penalized teams coming into the game? Come on, man! A lot were legit and some certainly DID go our way but a lot did not and that was evident. Constantly playing from 1st and 15 was brutal and played right into the strengths of their DL and game plan. Awesome job by the OL not allowing Alex to get killed after that
  • Great adjustment by Harbaugh et. al after the first sack
  • Willis, again was in coverage a lot today and had two great plays in coverage (knocked down a TD) and a couple go against him (gave up a TD) but his positioning was better this game IMO
  • Great red zone defense save for that last TD (too easy; blown coverage?); in fact, that last TD it looked like we we were confused for three straight plays
  • Bowman is freaking everywhere! Great hustle by guys such as Goldson who was initially blocked out. Love that
  • Schwartz was a smug weasel esp. at the beginning of the game and his character showed in this loss but the real fight should have been with Harbaugh vs. Mike Carey (haha)
  • They clearly game planned to stop Gore and had 9 in the box constantly. We could have DESTROYED them with Davis in this game. We didn't exploit the edges either, did many screens, etc. We won but this game didn't have to be this close esp. when you factor in the dropped potential TD passes to Crabtree, Ginn and Walker.
  • Still lots of drops by Crabtree, Ginn, Gore, etc...we need hands and Alex needs to work on his mechanics also (get that ball down). We missed Morgan a lot this game. Too many routes were run a yard too short!
  • Ginn hesitates too much on kick off returns. See it and GO!
  • Lee, Akers and coverage (downing punts/our field position) we're awesome today and Ginn came through when it mattered most
  • Culliver, Miller are finds! Brown played his best game and Spencer played more too. Smith was the weakness today
  • Anthony Davis is playing with fire (got in Suh's head ALL GAME) and we wore that DL down; they aren't used to being hit in the mouth (see 4th quarter). Love it
  • We struggle covering crossing patterns (always trailing)
  • Their WR's were pushing off all game long
  • Gore ran his azz off (that phantom ankle injury is fine BTW); Hunter is such a great compliment too
  • Props to the OL and Goodwin/Snyder/Davis/Davis/Walker/Miller in particular! Give them some love!
  • Still too many free releases on the LOS and playing off on blitzes lead to zero TO's and big gains for them esp. with J. Best
  • Formations really helped keep the DL in "hesitant" mode
  • No injuries for us but we put a hurting on the opposition again? Nice! Street fight! We finally have some balls and play physical with a F
  • The two TO's lead to 10 Lions points
  • We need more depth at OLB & DL badly
  • Anything else?
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Great read!!!
On SlowMo, it did look like VandenBosch jumped early on that first sack fumble. I'll give Staley a pass on that one.
I think that instance and a few more afterwards had Harbaugh really working on the referees. It may have worked during the rest of the game and the officials may have been more forgiving later on with the false start penalties.

On that unsportsmanlike conduct call on Harbaugh. I wonder if he DID know that the scoring play was unchallengeable but he did so anyway just to make a point ( and tick off Jim Schwartz - which it did -lol). The penalty was negligible because I think all it insured was a touchback on the ensuing kickoff.
Good stuff although I think you're far too soft on Alex. There were of couple of drops, but there were also several passes that sailed on him...including a couple where the receiver bailed him out with a great catch. It goes both ways. I don't think he played well at all, but he definitely had limited weapons at his disposal.
^ He touched on Alex's high passes, ive been no alex supporter but id say there were about as many drops as high passes. Alex is a lot different this year though and the clutch poise he displayed yesterday among other things this season has me believing he might just be able to turn it around with Harbaugh.
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Great read!!!

This