There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***SF 49ERS VS. OAK RAIDERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Preseason Week 2)***

Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I was really impressed with how quickly and how deep Shaughnessy actually dropped back. I don't remember seeing many DEs do that so deeply... easy to understand why a QB wouldn't have expected a DE to be there (not that deep).

Shaughnessy turned around and ran to his zone then hovered there and Smith threw it right to him. It was a terrible interception, not a good play by the defense. Smith needs to see that or if he saw it, not make the throw.

It was a simple int most members on this zone could have made.

Watch the video....On Smith's hitch, he looks right at the defender. Either Smith thought he could get it over the DE or Smith didn't see him. Either way, that's a bad play by the QB. The correct throw was underneath the DE to Walker on the short cross.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011082052/2011/PRE2/raiders@49ers#tab:watch

Leave it to you to harp on the one bad play from Smith. Feel better now? I wasn't suggesting that it was a good play or decision. Just that if a QB is reading from right to left, and doesn't expect a DE on the left to drop back so deeply... that it's more understandable. Still, not saying it's a good thing. I watched the 2nd half, and only bits and pieces of the 1st. Sounds like Smith had a pretty good game that should have been better if there were 3 passes not dropped. I'll enjoy watching it recorded from NFLN in the morning to see everything. What did you think? Did Smith look pretty good with the better OL blocking? How did you feel when he made some nice plays? Happy or upset?

That was just a great play by the DE. If the RB lines up on the other side of Smith, thats a first down as the DE would of had to account for the flat. He sprints to the first down marker and turns around just in time, Smith should make that throw every time as the odds are that a DE will not make the play. Its funny people pointing to the "correct read" as DW, when they dont even know the play. If Smith goes to DW, he gets tackled short of the 1st down and people jump on Smith for being captain checkdown. It was 3rd & 8 and Smith went to the quick read that was a first down, he didnt hold onto the ball for a sack and he didnt check it down to a 6 yard pass when they needed 8. Sometimes players just make great plays, that was a great play.

Yeah great play. Stand right there and the QB throws it to you.

Aren't QBs supposed to look ( ) where they are throwing? I didn't know all the great ones know where all defenders are on the field and just throw it without looking.

And Walker was wide open being chased by a linebacker. An accurate ball and he catches it 2 yards short and would have easily made it. #55 for the raiders was burned bad and the DE was covering the sideline.
And look where the ball ends up compared to the WR. Not even accurate with the ball.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah great play. Stand right there and the QB throws it to you.

Aren't QBs supposed to look ( ) where they are throwing? I didn't know all the great ones know where all defenders are on the field and just throw it without looking.

And Walker was wide open being chased by a linebacker. An accurate ball and he catches it 2 yards short and would have easily made it. #55 for the raiders was burned bad and the DE was covering the sideline.
And look where the ball ends up compared to the WR. Not even accurate with the ball.

The DE takes off into a full sprint 10 yards down the field to the first down marker because there was no RB on his side of the field so he ignores the flat and drops to the first down marker. If alex hits DW the DE comes up and destroys DW before the first down.

And the ball was placed fine... a 6-4 DE had to leap and fully extend to make that pic, it would of hit the receiver right in the numbers. He still made a mistake, but if he was looking at the seem route, noticed the safety coming on a delayed blitz then hit his second read without hesitating going for the first down over the checkdown, its better than a sack or hanging his check down DW out to dry.

Again, it was a great play by the DE, the alternative would be DW decapitated.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM ]
  • Otter
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,936
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah great play. Stand right there and the QB throws it to you. Aren't QBs supposed to look (<img class="pic" src="/forum/images/smileys/eek.gif"> ) where they are throwing? I didn't know all the great ones know where all defenders are on the field and just throw it without looking. And Walker was wide open being chased by a linebacker. An accurate ball and he catches it 2 yards short and would have easily made it. #55 for the raiders was burned bad and the DE was covering the sideline. And look where the ball ends up compared to the WR. Not even accurate with the ball.

You obviously don't remember Montana's no look pass.
Originally posted by daWest:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
I watched Alex is play the games last night. Alex is doin good job for games but He is weak and problem that He can't throw the TD from 15 or 30 yards from close on TD that He was afraid because he was worry about other ints from him.. I want alex need creative the style plays the TD..

WHAT!? lmao....please tell me you're just f'ing around...no one's grammar can be that bad....can it?

I have a few deaf friends who type the same way. You can understand what they mean when they type. Doesnt call for you to clown on him. Hes a die hard fan and thats all that matters imo.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Half of the team has had only 10-15 practices in a whole new system so yeah things looked good.

Agreed. For only having that short of a time, i was impressed. What was most impressive was how the second teamers looked. Grant, Kilgore, Hunter, Edwards, Culliver all made a case to make the squad.
This. Good things from a young 49ers team all still learning
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,368
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
It was very encouraging to see they made the necessary adjustments from the first game. I thought the offensive playcalling was very well mixed, aside from the calls in the goal to go situations in the first half.

All and all a very good showing.

Unfortunately the improvements probably had a lot to do with playing the bottom feeding Raiders.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 33,310
Besides the Pick. I thought Alex Smith had a good game.
bay champs........................................
Originally posted by BobS:
Unfortunately the improvements probably had a lot to do with playing the bottom feeding Raiders.

I agree. It's preseason, so whatever little good we get, I guess we'll take it...for now.
Night and day difference from last week. I don't care if its the Raiders or whoever - They played much better as a team and that came from coaching the team up. That Kilgore really impressed me.
Originally posted by BobS:
Unfortunately the improvements probably had a lot to do with playing the bottom feeding Raiders.

Better than the alternative. 400 yards of offense, 8-13 on third down efficiency, 25 first downs, and allot of that coming with the starters in the game. Raiders had a better record than the niners last year... beating both SD and the Chiefs twice.

Ill take yesterday over last week any time.

Texans will be a great test. Blocking JJ Watt and Super Mario will show how far the O-line has come. That offense will show allot about our run D, and secondary.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I was really impressed with how quickly and how deep Shaughnessy actually dropped back. I don't remember seeing many DEs do that so deeply... easy to understand why a QB wouldn't have expected a DE to be there (not that deep).

Shaughnessy turned around and ran to his zone then hovered there and Smith threw it right to him. It was a terrible interception, not a good play by the defense. Smith needs to see that or if he saw it, not make the throw.

It was a simple int most members on this zone could have made.

Watch the video....On Smith's hitch, he looks right at the defender. Either Smith thought he could get it over the DE or Smith didn't see him. Either way, that's a bad play by the QB. The correct throw was underneath the DE to Walker on the short cross.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011082052/2011/PRE2/raiders@49ers#tab:watch

Leave it to you to harp on the one bad play from Smith. Feel better now? I wasn't suggesting that it was a good play or decision. Just that if a QB is reading from right to left, and doesn't expect a DE on the left to drop back so deeply... that it's more understandable. Still, not saying it's a good thing. I watched the 2nd half, and only bits and pieces of the 1st. Sounds like Smith had a pretty good game that should have been better if there were 3 passes not dropped. I'll enjoy watching it recorded from NFLN in the morning to see everything. What did you think? Did Smith look pretty good with the better OL blocking? How did you feel when he made some nice plays? Happy or upset?

You brought the play up. I was just responding to your comment about how its "easy to understand how a QB wouldn't have expected to see a DE there."

Alex has been in the league for 7 years. He has seen that type of coverages many many times before.

And since you didn't watch it yet let me tell you somthing to look out for. Smith did have a nice game and had success mainly going deep to the sidelines. He rarely threw over the middle. The one time he did made a nice throw, Edwards made a nice grab, and then the defender makes a nice play to knock the ball out. I'm not saying this is a bad thing so don't take it that way.

Now, with having so much success with the sidelines (Morgan deep left, Edwards deep sideline, Edwards are a short curl) The raiders started covering the sidelines and left the middle open. The drop back in coverage should have been expected at that point. And you have to look where you throw don't you? The DE was standing right there.

Smith did have a good game besides that. His best plays were the one where the launched it deep to morgan while taking a hit and then slid around in the pocket and threw it over the middle. This is what Smith haters want to see more of. None of that run to the sideline and throw it away or be the check down king.

The perfect pocket wont alway be there, he needs to make more plays like the ones to morgan and the pocket shifting one and less of the picks.

And about my feelings, this isn't Oprah. I root for the niners to win no matter what.

And btw,you hate on 49er players as well.

Well Y2R, honestly i got nothing wrong with what u said because this is the zone, and everyone is entitled to their opinions, and or personal observations. Even if they do seem one sided at times. But i just pointed out that sentence, because there have been soo many debates about that term " Smith haters". And every time someone is called that, they say what because I want another Qb after 6 years, this and that, etc. But they always get defensive when the term is used, because they say they aren't haters one bit.

It at least shines some light on the fact that there really are "Smith Haters", as you say. And we know they wont give him credit, even when he does a good job. So once again not saying you are one of the bunch, but I will say because you'd like to see the guy get better, shouldn't be a reason to hate the guy.

Now who the actual haters are, is the real question.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Theres a common denominator in this equation.

I said the same thing at the game though. I know they dont want to give away plays....could it be a lack of confidence in the passing game? Maybe, maybe not.

One place where the passing game was good last year was in the red zone.
[ Edited by BHulman on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM ]
Wow, just went back and watched the game for a third time, and just finally noticed on that final Xavier Omon TD that Harbaugh had called that play himself. -Jim had his arm around Kaep on the sideline (as the line judges were measuring the 1st down, encase we were in a 4th & 1 situation), Harbaugh took advantage of the time, and read the play off the sheet himself to Kaep (of course covering his mouth with the play-sheet as he was relaying it before Kaep had left the sideline), instead of letting Roman call a play up in the box once the situation had arised.

Talk about offensive instinctual game management from the head coach, wow... people really need to realize that this guy is not just some fish-out-of-water college coach entering the NFL.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 861
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by daWest:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
I watched Alex is play the games last night. Alex is doin good job for games but He is weak and problem that He can't throw the TD from 15 or 30 yards from close on TD that He was afraid because he was worry about other ints from him.. I want alex need creative the style plays the TD..

WHAT!? lmao....please tell me you're just f'ing around...no one's grammar can be that bad....can it?

I have a few deaf friends who type the same way. You can understand what they mean when they type. Doesnt call for you to clown on him. Hes a die hard fan and thats all that matters imo.

What, in the name of all that is great and small, does being deaf have to do with typing? Buzzb has been incoherent for years, it has nothing to do with his ears. You can't hear grammar or spelling. You learn the basics. Please educate me if I'm wrong.