There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

One fan's observation

You sir = #Winning!

Thank you for the refreshingly unbiased insight.

Favorite part about this is the coaching. When you have a QB who has a tendency to check down (extremely conservative coaches dont help) then those check downs need to be a part of the offense rather than simply a last resort option. I never understood why our old OC's didnt recognize this, and simply told the RB's to go hang out in the flat, leaving them flat footed with no momentum.

Another WCO principle being applied, short passes as an extension of the run game. Get the ball in Gores hands 4 yards down the field right in front of the QB, rather than a pass 2 yards behind the LOS that requires the QB to turn his body for an accurate throw, and also tells the defense where the ball is headed.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

One more knock on Kap that I have heard frequently is that he is so long-limbed, his throwing motion is rather slow, especially on mid-range to long passes.

This has been mentioned on several threads but the computerized testing program all the QBs went through before the draft (can't remember what it was called) indicated that CK's release is so fast that he actually takes less time to throw than most, if not all, the other top QBs in the draft.

Could someone explain why this is not valid and why everyone keeps saying he needs to work on his mechanics? Especially as Harbaugh has repeatedly said he won't change CKs throwing motion.

ESPN Sports Science, they did all sorts of tests on QB prospects.
First Rate - Thank you.
Originally posted by candlestick49er:
Originally posted by thuglife619:
good read

and

Originally posted by niner4life21:
You are awesome.

Awesome read!
Originally posted by ninergold:
Great observations and analyses.

Co-signed.
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
More about the defense. I've noticed that Parys Haralson is a rather polarizing figure on this board. Last season, he was criticized for not finishing tackles (a fair criticism at times) and not being starter material.

I kind of see him as the Josh Morgan of our defense. He's not going to make too many mistakes, but he's not too flashy on the field either. The nature of his position, though, means that the mistakes he makes have graver consequences. That being said, I can see why he started last year. First off, it's hard to just bench a guy who led the NFC West in sacks in 2008. He's a very hard worker who has arguably outperformed his draft position (Round 5 in 2006). Also, his age makes him a veteran by now, and a pretty smart one. I will say he's a camp warrior. He performs every drill very well. His fundamental technique is great, especially considering he was a converted DE to OLB. Should he start? Hard to say. I really see Aldon Smith starting on one side to rush the passer. You need a guy with good eyes on the other OLB side because he's going to be covering a little bit more, but that's in a traditional 3-4. I'm not sure what Fangio is going to do. Based off of today's play and Harbaugh's press conference, he seems to think of the SS and FS as interchangeable depending on your personnel. Maybe he'll have the same philosophy with his OLBs?

I wish Bowman was in there more with the first team. Larry Grant was often in there next to Willis, and I couldn't really see how well he did. But based off of Willis's play, he probably performed decently. Larry Grant is an interesting story - I hope to watch him more in the preseason. For those who don't know, he was a junior college standout from the City College of SF. He was drafted by the 49ers in 2008 and put on the practice squad and plucked by the Rams. He actually started for the Rams in 2010, but lost the spot later on. Now he's back in SF. Can't help but root for him. I do wish Bowman would get more snaps, but can't help health. One thing about the loss of Takeo Spikes is the resulting lack of ILB depth. You have McKillop and Bowman who are unquestionably going to be on the roster, and probably Kristick. If (knocks on wood) Patrick Willis goes down, I'm not sure who's going to fill his role? Bowman was bred to take on Spikes' position, and I think he can fill it quite well. Larry Grant, who hasn't made the team yet, would also backup that ILB position. But who backs up Willis? McKillop is a smart but undersized guy, and he might be the leading candidate...

Another polarizing figure: Moran Norris. I see Webzoners calling for him to be cut. I also see questions asking how FB is going to be utilized in this offense. I won't go into specifics, but he did catch a few passes out of the backfield. I don't know if this is because the plays were designed for him or if those reps were supposed to go to an early-injured Anthony Dixon. He did not take any handoffs from what I could see, although I left early. I couldn't see a lot of the redzone offense unfortunately - too far away. I saw a few fade/corner patterns that most of the QBs couldn't hit. In general, that's a tough route to throw, so it's understandable.

Brock looks like he'll be a very solid backup. As the beat writers pointed out, he jumped a route and intercepted a Smith pass. It was more than that though. It wasn't like he instantly recognized the route and got in front of it, he got there as the pass got to the receiver, collided with the receiver, then was able to make the interception. He's willing to be physical. It wasn't too badly thrown of a ball either. It wasn't in front of the receiver, which is where you ideally want to put it over the middle, but I wouldn't say it was behind the receiver either.

Edwards: again, a long strider. I don't know why he tried making so many one-handed catches. He dropped some, was overthrown on one particular one-handed attempt. Not sure if he's just trying to be fancy or what. But he's by far the biggest receiver in terms of height. He'll be a weapon. I don't think he looks as out of shape as the beat writers made him out to be, but I did notice he wasn't on the first team offense during many of the reps. He's still getting acclimated to the playbook, which plays a role as well.

I can't think of much else to write, plus it's late, but here are my final closing thoughts:

Who looks very promising: Kendall Hunter. A return threat and a running threat, he's fast and doesn't go down as easily as his height would indicate. I'm excited about this guy. I hope he gets at least 5-10 touches a game. On the defensive side of the ball, obviously Aldon Smith, but his coverage does need some refining. Otherwise, I like Donte Whitner. Plays fast, hits hard, he seems to get in on every play.

Finally, Jim Harbaugh and his entire coaching staff. It's a tight ship they run, and a very productive three hours. I love the emphasis on special teams, which was kind of a sore spot last year if you all recall.

Sounds and looks like a Bill Walsh style practice to me! Everything upbeat and high tempo and not trying to kill your players bodies with running up hills like my Marines charging an enemy machine gun nest! We don't need to kill our players with rediculous drills, just get them on the same page doing the same repititions!

Great post and info! I can't wait to see this team play this preseason!
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Good work! Very insightful reading and would agree with almost everything I witnessed yesterday at TC.
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
great stuff, seriously, really good job bro...

just one thing though, bowman is and will be p52s backup. he doesnt have the bulk to crash the line and free up blockers like spikes did. Grant may very well be the starter this year with his size. that is all, keep up the great work.

where on earth do you get that idea?

its not an idea, its fact. bowman isnt built to play the ted. he is more of a mike like willis. it isnt hard to see if you know what to look for.

we'll see where he lines up this year. I imagine he will line up at the TED, where he has always lined up and where he was "destined" to line up, given every report ever written about him and his role on the team--but I guess you need to know where to look for that kind of information.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Exceptional!!!!

Thank you.
Great read. Thank you, especially since I can't attend any camp this year. Excellent recap and analysis.

just one thing though, bowman is and will be p52s backup. he doesnt have the bulk to crash the line and free up blockers like spikes did. Grant may very well be the starter this year with his size. that is all, keep up the great work.

its not an idea, its fact. bowman isnt built to play the ted. he is more of a mike like willis. it isnt hard to see if you know what to look for.

we'll see where he lines up this year. I imagine he will line up at the TED, where he has always lined up and where he was "destined" to line up, given every report ever written about him and his role on the team--but I guess you need to know where to look for that kind of information.

challenge accepted....

here is an accurate write up on bowman...

Bowman is an average sized linebacker with good athleticism. He has had some durability problems in the past and this may be a concern at the next level. Bowman is a tough, competitive player that has good range inside out to the ball. He is most effective when covered up utilizing his speed and quickness to get to the pile. Bowman doesn’t separate well from larger blockers and gets smothered too often. He is quick to react and shows natural instincts as plays unfold. Bowman is a solid coverage defender and reads route progressions well. Bowman is a good football player that is limited due to lack of size and with some off the field issues as well as durability concerns, his draft status is likely to fall. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/navorro-bowman?id=496901

The TED is clearing the way to the QB, and he is doing this in the toughest environment of all; the center of the trench. He not only faces the centers and guards, but the FB and maybe a RB. If the DL can clear a path to the backfield of the offense, it is not unreasonable to assume that the TED may have to shoulder aside an OL being tied up on the line, plus block another offensive pass blocker. It is a very physical position.

It is one thing to go after the QB (like the MIKE). It is quite another thing to possess the situational awareness to keep many things in one's head at the same time. Where is the QB, where is the MIKE I'm blocking for, where are the pass blockers, and in which direction are they all moving? Factor in that these mental gymnastics area at game speed, under stress, and with little oxygen to go on.

The TED can (of course) be used in several roles within the same system, but blocking to the QB is the role your TED would most be graded on. The role also adjusts based on the type of offensive system you are playing against, as well as match-ups in terms of players. http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/5/13/508528/so-what-exactly-is-the-tedb

Bowman is a mike lb an it is evident by the fact we brought in joseph, grant, and we still have mckillop and all are teds. Bowman does not fit the ted roll at all and it actually plays to his weaknesses to play him at ted. more evidence of our incompetent coaching staff of yester years.
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Aug 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM ]

challenge accepted....

Bowman is an average sized linebacker with good athleticism. He has had some durability problems in the past and this may be a concern at the next level. Bowman is a tough, competitive player that has good range inside out to the ball. He is most effective when covered up utilizing his speed and quickness to get to the pile. Bowman doesn’t separate well from larger blockers and gets smothered too often. He is quick to react and shows natural instincts as plays unfold. Bowman is a solid coverage defender and reads route progressions well. Bowman is a good football player that is limited due to lack of size and with some off the field issues as well as durability concerns, his draft status is likely to fall. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/navorro-bowman?id=496901

The TED is clearing the way to the QB, and he is doing this in the toughest environment of all; the center of the trench. He not only faces the centers and guards, but the FB and maybe a RB. If the DL can clear a path to the backfield of the offense, it is not unreasonable to assume that the TED may have to shoulder aside an OL being tied up on the line, plus block another offensive pass blocker. It is a very physical position.

It is one thing to go after the QB (like the MIKE). It is quite another thing to possess the situational awareness to keep many things in one's head at the same time. Where is the QB, where is the MIKE I'm blocking for, where are the pass blockers, and in which direction are they all moving? Factor in that these mental gymnastics area at game speed, under stress, and with little oxygen to go on.

The TED can (of course) be used in several roles within the same system, but blocking to the QB is the role your TED would most be graded on. The role also adjusts based on the type of offensive system you are playing against, as well as match-ups in terms of players. http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/5/13/508528/so-what-exactly-is-the-tedb

Bowman is a mike lb an it is evident by the fact we brought in joseph, grant, and we still have mckillop and all are teds. Bowman does not fit the ted roll at all and it actually plays to his weaknesses to play him at ted. more evidence of our incompetent coaching staff of yester years.

irrelevant. how has he been used by the 49ers? he's been penciled in as the starter at TED ever since being drafted. It's possible that he loses the starting job in TC--anything is possible, I suppose--but despite the fact that he is not a prototypical TED LB (a point that you are making that I acknowledge) he is the heir at the TED position for the San Francisco 49ers.

They didn't take him in the 3rd round to be Willis' backup.

I'm in no way arguing that he is a great fit or will be successful there--I don't know, because I don't know how Fangio's defense will use him. But arguing that he is nothing more than Willis' backup is absurd and ignores everything we've seen and heard about him since he was drafted.

challenge accepted....

irrelevant. how has he been used by the 49ers? he's been penciled in as the starter at TED ever since being drafted. It's possible that he loses the starting job in TC--anything is possible, I suppose--but despite the fact that he is not a prototypical TED LB (a point that you are making that I acknowledge) he is the heir at the TED position for the San Francisco 49ers.

I'm in no way arguing that he is a great fit or will be successful there--I don't know, because I don't know how Fangio's defense will use him. But arguing that he is nothing more than Willis' backup is absurd and ignores everything we've seen and heard about him since he was drafted.

the penciled in starter at ted has been spikes not bowman. perhaps you should pay a lil more attention to your team because bowman has been a ghost with the 1st team defense at ted in tc this year.

and why is that? because he is a mike lb! obviously you dont understand the role of the ted lb. its basically a full back lead blocking for the mike. that is definately not bowmans game.

challenge accepted....

the penciled in starter at ted has been spikes not bowman. perhaps you should pay a lil more attention to your team because bowman has been a ghost with the 1st team defense at ted in tc this year.

and why is that? because he is a mike lb! obviously you dont understand the role of the ted lb. its basically a full back lead blocking for the mike. that is definately not bowmans game.

you do know that Takeo Spikes is a San Diego Charger, right?