LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 411 users in the forums

The Barbieri theory: WWHD?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Barbieri theory: WWHD?

Originally posted by carlgo:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Ralph would fit in on the Webzone with his irrational hatred of Alex Smith. Alex Smith isn't THE reason (not saying he doesn't play a part) why the organization has been horrible for so long - he's a symbol of a comically mismanaged football team. The 49ers' worst season after Garcia left was the year before they drafted Alex Smith after all - when we went 2-14 with Tim Rattay at the helm. In 2003, we went 7-9, which wasn't a great season either.

That being said, Harbaugh would probably stick with Alex Smith if he had a bad game. You can't constantly switch out QBs like Singletary did. There needs to be an opportunity for a quarterback to adjust. If you let Alex play out the whole season, you can count the experiment over.

Ironically, if Alex were given the whole season to play last year and still stunk it up all year, he probably would've been gone this year because the "Alexcuses" (or whatever NT likes to call rational analysis) would've held less weight. Oh well.

I don't think Ralph is too far off. IMO Alex's two biggest reoccuring mistakes are:

#1 Not being able to read defenses (including seeing pass rush and feeling comfortable in the pocket)
#2: Having poor passes in the flat or high passes that defect of receivers hands for an INT (wasn't it up to like 60%+ of his ints were deflected off teammates at one point last year)

Ralph isn't saying Smith sucks but he is saying if these reoccurring problems Alex has shown for the last 6 years here and there, flair up during a game or in 2-3 games in a row, what does Harbaugh do then?

Yikes! Tough being a successful QB if you have those problems!

CK has the talent and the smarts. He will know how to take snaps and all that. He will know the offense as well as anyone as they are all learning it together. There is no good reason he wouldn't be ready to step in a lot sooner than some people think.

If Smith is struggling and the team thinks CK would help them win, then JH has to make the switch or lose the confidence of the players himself.

I don't want CK starting at all this year. If anything he should get a red zone package or 1 series a game. I agree he has raw talent, I think he can pick up an offense and above all I love his work ethic.

But even with all that he has already admitted to not being able to read an NFL defense well, and by looking at some of his quotes I think he hasn't adjusted to the speed of defense at all. I believe he will in a few years, but remember Utah and Reno aren't/weren't in Big time conferences in the NCAA and I think we need to cool it on the start CK year 1. We don't want to rush him before he's not ready (mistake made to Alex) we don't want to have his confidence shot by the end of year 1 b/c he's not adjusted to the speed of the CBs/LBs/ and pass rushers (mistake made to Alex).
[ Edited by global_nomad on Aug 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM ]
I keep reading Tiki Barber theory

Ralph would fit in on the Webzone with his irrational hatred of Alex Smith. Alex Smith isn't THE reason (not saying he doesn't play a part) why the organization has been horrible for so long - he's a symbol of a comically mismanaged football team. The 49ers' worst season after Garcia left was the year before they drafted Alex Smith after all - when we went 2-14 with Tim Rattay at the helm. In 2003, we went 7-9, which wasn't a great season either.

That being said, Harbaugh would probably stick with Alex Smith if he had a bad game. You can't constantly switch out QBs like Singletary did. There needs to be an opportunity for a quarterback to adjust. If you let Alex play out the whole season, you can count the experiment over.

Ironically, if Alex were given the whole season to play last year and still stunk it up all year, he probably would've been gone this year because the "Alexcuses" (or whatever NT likes to call rational analysis) would've held less weight. Oh well.

I don't think Ralph is too far off. IMO Alex's two biggest reoccuring mistakes are:

#1 Not being able to read defenses (including seeing pass rush and feeling comfortable in the pocket)
#2: Having poor passes in the flat or high passes that defect of receivers hands for an INT (wasn't it up to like 60%+ of his ints were deflected off teammates at one point last year)

Ralph isn't saying Smith sucks but he is saying if these reoccurring problems Alex has shown for the last 6 years here and there, flair up during a game or in 2-3 games in a row, what does Harbaugh do then?

CK has the talent and the smarts. He will know how to take snaps and all that. He will know the offense as well as anyone as they are all learning it together. There is no good reason he wouldn't be ready to step in a lot sooner than some people think.

If Smith is struggling and the team thinks CK would help them win, then JH has to make the switch or lose the confidence of the players himself.

I don't want CK starting at all this year. If anything he should get a red zone package or 1 series a game. I agree he has raw talent, I think he can pick up an offense and above all I love his work ethic.

But even with all that he has already admitted to not being able to read an NFL defense well, and by looking at some of his quotes I think he hasn't adjusted to the speed of defense at all. I believe he will in a few years, but remember Utah and Reno aren't/weren't in Big time conferences in the NCAA and I think we need to cool it on the start CK year 1. We don't want to rush him before he's not ready (mistake made to Alex) we don't want to have his confidence shot by the end of year 1 b/c he's not adjusted to the speed of the CBs/LBs/ and pass rushers (mistake made to Alex).

I think Harbaugh won't start Kaepernick if he isn't ready unless an injury happens to Alex, with Masoli as the 3rd string QB only Smith is the vet so if he sucks Harbaugh will still put him out there. Kaepernick is very raw the only reason he was drafted in the second round was because everyone was drafting to needs and the QB class was mediocre but he is going to take time to groom. Harbaugh has balls he is gambling on an injury prone, fragile minded and inconsistent QB who has a hard time learning the WCO and hasn't had a year to learn it to be his man this year. If he's a success Harbaugh's god-like but if Smith flops again than this could the worst year in Smith's tenure as a 49er and Harbaugh will be human.

Great points, i bold that, because 60% of those passes was because crabtree couldn't fing hold on to the ball. If the ball get's their and you get 2 hands on it, hell if you get one hand on it, it should be a catch. You can tell me it came down like a punt, and say that it was too high or too low, your job is to make the catch, not complain that it wasn't perfect throw. The ball got their now hold on to it!
Originally posted by Nighner:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Seems like the board loves to clown on Barbieri but imo he's witty, insightful, a genuine good guy who is passionate about Bay Area sports. The Razor and Mr. T is the best sports show in the Bay Area (and it's not even close). That being said Mr. T leads the program and keeps Barbieri on track.

In terms of Alex, when things get tough this year, and they likely will at some point I see Harbaugh sticking by his guns and rolling with Alex.

Harbaugh was a pro QB and had some rough patches early in his career. He gets what yanking a guy out after every mistake can do to a player mentally.

And just where would Harbaugh stubborness leave the 49ers and their fans? Another dreadful losing season at the hands of that stink butt QB named Alex Bust Smith.

Here it is a team with enough talend to win their division easily if they had competent QB play.

And a rookie Kaepernick is supposed to be better. Puleeze. Give Kaep time let Alex see what he can do.
  • dj43
Ralph knows so little about football as to make one wonder how he keeps his gig at KNBR. He is a typical ball watcher who would not know a cut block from a block head. He has made some of the most inane and uninformed comments about football that I have ever heard on the radio.

Carry on....
[ Edited by dj43 on Aug 7, 2011 at 9:36 PM ]
Originally posted by superman49er:
oorrrr smith will start games 1-6, kaep to the rescue (or attempted rescue) games 7-16....

I would rather develop Colin then throw him into a "please attempt to save our season" situation as a rookie.

signed
Originally posted by Nighner:
Seems like the board loves to clown on Barbieri but imo he's witty, insightful, a genuine good guy who is passionate about Bay Area sports. The Razor and Mr. T is the best sports show in the Bay Area (and it's not even close). That being said Mr. T leads the program and keeps Barbieri on track.

In terms of Alex, when things get tough this year, and they likely will at some point I see Harbaugh sticking by his guns and rolling with Alex.

Harbaugh was a pro QB and had some rough patches early in his career. He gets what yanking a guy out after every mistake can do to a player mentally.

And just where would Harbaugh stubborness leave the 49ers and their fans? Another dreadful losing season at the hands of that stink butt QB named Alex Bust Smith.

Here it is a team with enough talend to win their division easily if they had competent QB play.

And a rookie Kaepernick is supposed to be better. Puleeze. Give Kaep time let Alex see what he can do.

I've seen enough of Alex Bust Smith to know he's crap. I don't need to see anymore of him. He's a glorified high school QB playing in the NFL. Get Kap in there now.
This is REALLY easy to figure out if you assume Harbaugh was serious when he said he learned a lot from Walsh.

1/ You never draft a QB in the first round (check)
2/ You never start a rookie QB
3/ You find a journeyman QB to run the offense (Alex Smith, aka Steve deBerg) until the QB you drafted learns the system.
4/ Start the drafted QB in year 2.

Have a nice day.
If Harbaugh really is against starting Kaepernick at any point this season like some of you are alluding to, then it is absolutely inexcusable to have not brought in another vet QB.

ALex has a history of injuries, so to put all our chickens in his health basket is not a good idea.

• dj43
Originally posted by highwayone:
This is REALLY easy to figure out if you assume Harbaugh was serious when he said he learned a lot from Walsh.

3/ You find a journeyman QB to run the offense (Alex Smith, aka Steve deBerg) until the QB you drafted learns the system.

Have a nice day.
and you link this to Walsh how?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by highwayone:

Have a nice day.
and you link this to Walsh how?

yeah the rookie Walsh drafted wasn't a spread QB either
Originally posted by superman49er:
oorrrr smith will start games 1-6, kaep to the rescue (or attempted rescue) games 7-16....

I would rather develop Colin then throw him into a "please attempt to save our season" situation as a rookie.

Agree
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Unless he gets hurt Alex Smith starts the whole year. No way is Kap going to be ready. I am pretty sure this will be treated as a rebuilding year whether fans like it or not.
  • Jiks
This IMO is the answer...

Quote:
"I was told the best guy would play," Goodwin said. "It's still competition. Of course everybody wants to play. I'll do my best to be on the field."

A well-built, cohesive line obviously should bode well for quarterback Alex Smith's latest attempt to succeed. One missed block could shelve Smith (see: 2007 shoulder injury) and summon rookie Colin Kaepernick, assuming he remains Smith's understudy.

"I feel like it's a different atmosphere this year," backup tackle Alex Boone said. "There's a lot more confidence in this team, and the offensive line especially. Bringing (position coach) Mike Solari back was a great thing for us." (Solari was a 49ers assistant from 1992-96.)

The linemen also benefited from player-organized workouts and classroom sessions at San Jose State during the labor lockout. Staley said they offered "a little head start" in terms of learning the new schemes.

"Talking to defensive players on the practice field, they say it's night and day from what it has been in the past as far as motions and different formations we run," Staley said. "I like the diversity we're doing with our play calls. That time we spent in the classroom really helped, so we weren't behind when we got in here."

http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=34398
Share 49ersWebzone