There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Barbieri theory: WWHD?

The Barbieri theory: WWHD?

Today on his radio show Ralph Barbiari was framing a question of what will Harbaugh do when/if Alex makes a few bad tournovers during a game or in a 2-3 game streak.

Kevin Lynch and Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports both said that Harbaugh is so confident that he can make Smith more than just an average joe, that he will stick with him through thick and thin this year even though the fan base could/might/will see the same script play out over the coarse of the season.

Lynch also said that even though Harbaugh can't say it, he knows his contract is a 5 year contract, and that it could take Harbaugh three to four years to implement his full WCO system. So he will stick with Alex no matter if he struggles in the pocket or with pass rush and drops the ball or throws a bad INT.

Ralph didn't really want to hear that saying at one point there might just have to be a change.

Other options brought up assuming Kaep really really really needs at least 1 if not 2 seasons to really develop ala Aaron Rodgers:

-Sign a vet like Bulger at the end of training camp as an emergency #2 QB
-Start another Rookie QB for a few games or put them in instead of hurting Kaep's confidence too early (don't force Kaep in like Alex was forced in )
-At the end of the season develop 20 plays or possible red zone packages for Kaep to get more action the end of the season to start to prepare for 2012.

Try to keep this a What would Harbaugh do thread assuming Alex Smith will/could struggle or make bad plays here and there during the season no need to make this a hate Alex thread.

Last thought: if Alex has a 80+ QB rating, 18+ TDS and under 10 INTs this year like in 2009, what do you think our record will be?
right now if Smith is sucking ass on the field Harbaugh will still have to start him because Kaepernick isn't ready. The only way Kaep will play this year is if Smith is hurt and no vet QB is picked up. Its part of the growing pains really even the FO has to realize the success isn't going to happen immediately, I'm sure Uncle Eddie is telling Jed that success doesn't happen immediately and that it will take time to see results.

Honestly despite Jed York talking out of his ass saying everyone is scared of the 49ers, even he has to realize like Baalke likely does that the system will take a while to learn and the lockout didn't help them out at all. Harbaugh could bring the 49ers up but Jed York has to be patient he has to realize this won't happen in one day. I think thats what Baalke and Harbaugh have in mind themselves they want success but they want to know what this team has as well whether they win or lose this year.
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
right now if Smith is sucking ass on the field Harbaugh will still have to start him because Kaepernick isn't ready. The only way Kaep will play this year is if Smith is hurt and no vet QB is picked up. Its part of the growing pains really even the FO has to realize the success isn't going to happen immediately, I'm sure Uncle Eddie is telling Jed that success doesn't happen immediately and that it will take time to see results.

Honestly despite Jed York talking out of his ass saying everyone is scared of the 49ers, even he has to realize like Baalke likely does that the system will take a while to learn and the lockout didn't help them out at all. Harbaugh could bring the 49ers up but Jed York has to be patient he has to realize this won't happen in one day. I think thats what Baalke and Harbaugh have in mind themselves they want success but they want to know what this team has as well whether they win or lose this year.
I think we will snag a Vet after roster cuts from other teams. I hope we don't trade for Josh Johnson. Bulger is retired.. there is really nobody out there other than like brett favre.

So far the first two days of smith in camp, he sounds rusty as hell (smith fan here) Our first preseason game is a week from today.. If he throws 3 picks on the first 3 drives, he will get booed out of the stadium.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I think we will snag a Vet after roster cuts from other teams. I hope we don't trade for Josh Johnson. Bulger is retired.. there is really nobody out there other than like brett favre.

So far the first two days of smith in camp, he sounds rusty as hell (smith fan here) Our first preseason game is a week from today.. If he throws 3 picks on the first 3 drives, he will get booed out of the stadium.

I though our first game was a road game. He'll have the Saints looking like they just won the Superbowl.
I have a hard time taking anything Ralph says seriously. His voice sounds like what happens when you put a dead raccoon in a wood chipper.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I though our first game was a road game. He'll have the Saints looking like they just won the Superbowl.

Ah good point, I thought our first was at home.

In preseason game 1, I really want to see how our OLINE and defense looks.
would have voted with first one but egotistical come on.... he likes alex and wants him to have another chance. is that egotistical? and kap not ready. how about alex starts cuz hes the best weve got....
Originally posted by global_nomad:

Ah good point, I thought our first was at home.

In preseason game 1, I really want to see how our OLINE and defense looks.

@ global- wow hate again... surprise. dude its a team sport our whole team sucked... alex was 1 reason out of like ten we sucked. same now... grow up
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM ]
Smith will start, Kaep will get a set of plays per game.

BTW, that's one hell of a glamor shot, Ralph!
oorrrr smith will start games 1-6, kaep to the rescue (or attempted rescue) games 7-16....
Ralph Barbieri is fake and gay
Originally posted by superman49er:
oorrrr smith will start games 1-6, kaep to the rescue (or attempted rescue) games 7-16....

I would rather develop Colin then throw him into a "please attempt to save our season" situation as a rookie.
Ralph couldn't analyze do do.
Ralph would fit in on the Webzone with his irrational hatred of Alex Smith. Alex Smith isn't THE reason (not saying he doesn't play a part) why the organization has been horrible for so long - he's a symbol of a comically mismanaged football team. The 49ers' worst season after Garcia left was the year before they drafted Alex Smith after all - when we went 2-14 with Tim Rattay at the helm. In 2003, we went 7-9, which wasn't a great season either.

That being said, Harbaugh would probably stick with Alex Smith if he had a bad game. You can't constantly switch out QBs like Singletary did. There needs to be an opportunity for a quarterback to adjust. If you let Alex play out the whole season, you can count the experiment over.

Ironically, if Alex were given the whole season to play last year and still stunk it up all year, he probably would've been gone this year because the "Alexcuses" (or whatever NT likes to call rational analysis) would've held less weight. Oh well.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Why isn't there a "the player who plays the best in camps/preseason will start" option? I'm honestly fine with giving either of them a shot.

If kaepernick looks better than a 6 year starter, let him start. If he doesn't, let alex start.