There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

the eating crow for FA

The calls for crow eating are kind of strange. I think Baalke did an excellent job of working the finances of this FA period (no one got more guaranteed money than they deserved), but I don't think we're a more talented team than we were at the beginning of FA either.

We went from a very poor FA period in the first few days to an average one. I don't think that's cause for gloating OR skewering the FO.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The calls for crow eating are kind of strange. I think Baalke did an excellent job of working the finances of this FA period (no one got more guaranteed money than they deserved), but I don't think we're a more talented team than we were at the beginning of FA either.

We went from a very poor FA period in the first few days to an average one. I don't think that's cause for gloating OR skewering the FO.

It's a natural result of the pendulum swinging back in the other direction. The initial reaction to free agency, with complete negativity was premature. When positive gains were made, the reaction has been equal and opposite.

We should probably just wait until we see who makes it out of training camp, and judge the roster and FA after a few games are played.

Another way to say "I told you so"?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Aug 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran

You're absolutely right, we didn't drastically improve at all. If anything, we lost continuity on defense for the sake of saving some dollars.
Originally posted by obx49:

You're absolutely right, we didn't drastically improve at all. If anything, we lost continuity on defense for the sake of saving some dollars.

you're looking for a quick fix and that's not what they are trying to do. it's a process that will take time. if we had overpaid for 2-3 free agents you would have b***hed and moaned how the front office still doesn't know what they're doing.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

you're looking for a quick fix and that's not what they are trying to do. it's a process that will take time. if we had overpaid for 2-3 free agents you would have b***hed and moaned how the front office still doesn't know what they're doing.

Haven't we heard all this before? The defense wasn't the problem, Nate could have reworked his contract and Spikes and Franklin would have came cheap. We weren't that far off on defense, hell, we were in the top 10 at one point of the season last year. A FA here and there would have improved that defense immensely.

The biggest problem in the FO is that they just couldn't let #11 go, now that's where we could have improved in a huge way. I mean really, aren't you a little concerned that #11 is tearing up the secondary during TC? Alex Smith, really? It's not like Harbaugh can change Alex in one week.
[ Edited by obx49 on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM ]
Alex Smith in every thread.

-9fA
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Haven't we heard all this before? The defense wasn't the problem, Nate could have reworked his contract and Spikes and Franklin would have came cheap. We weren't that far off on defense, hell, we were in the top 10 at one point of the season last year. A FA here and there would have improved that defense immensely.

The biggest problem in the FO is that they just couldn't let #11 go, now that's where we could have improved in a huge way. I mean really, aren't you a little concerned that #11 is tearing up the secondary during TC? Alex Smith, really? It's not like Harbaugh can change Alex in one week.

jim harbaugh just got here, it's gonna take time. quit b***hing like a 13 yr old girl.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
count me in too
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Alex Smith in every thread.

-9fA

Alex Smith
Someone always wants to make everything about Alex Smith.

If the 49ers win a Super Bowl with Alex as QB, then there are still those among you who would say we won the SB despite Alex' presence!

It gets tiresome.

I am going to have to disagree with you. There seems to be a fair amount of this belief that all we did in free agency was maintain the status quo......Wrong

I believe that guys like Edwards, Rogers and Goodwin will provide us with a considerable upgrade at their respective positions. Losing Franklin is not a huge deal. Sopoaga will do just fine in his place. Aldon Smith holds enough promise that losing Lawson shouldn't be a factor either. I feel as though we did great considering that we did not have to overpay for a guy like Joseph or Asomgha and thus not be able to resign some of our own talent later on down the road when we are in a legitimate position to make a super bowl run.

Free agency this year was a success in my opinion and we definetly have reason to gloat. Go niners.
It's Alex smh because he doesn't have IT.

I'm sure that has been said hundres of time already. Just thought it was funny.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
count me in too

me too
Originally posted by goodthings19:

I am going to have to disagree with you. There seems to be a fair amount of this belief that all we did in free agency was maintain the status quo......Wrong

I believe that guys like Edwards, Rogers and Goodwin will provide us with a considerable upgrade at their respective positions. Losing Franklin is not a huge deal. Sopoaga will do just fine in his place. Aldon Smith holds enough promise that losing Lawson shouldn't be a factor either. I feel as though we did great considering that we did not have to overpay for a guy like Joseph or Asomgha and thus not be able to resign some of our own talent later on down the road when we are in a legitimate position to make a super bowl run.

Free agency this year was a success in my opinion and we definetly have reason to gloat. Go niners.

I disagree that Rogers or Goodwin represent considerable upgrades over Clements and Baas. I think that adding Edwards is significant, but so is losing Franklin and not replacing him. He's a very good NT, and the perception that he isn't that seemed to directly coincide with when he signed elsewhere. Had he re-signed, he'd still be considered a good player around here, IMO. Sopoaga at NT in a 3-4 is a downgrade, no question about it. We also lost Spikes and didn't replace him either.

We're not a more talented team. I'm just hoping that the coaching, especially on the offensive side of the ball, will be so superior to last year that we'll see significant improvement just based on that.