Not a member? Register Now!

the eating crow for FA

Originally posted by zillabeast:
*modded*

[ Edited by kidash on Aug 5, 2011 at 09:46:39 ]

HELL YEA
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
49ers committed $16 mil in 2011 to Akers, Rogers, Goodwin, Whitner, Edwards, Williams. Raiders committed $16 mil in 2011 to Michael Huff.

What's more - only 1/2 of that group (Akers, Goodwin and Whitner) have more than a 1 year deal.

None of Edwards money is guaranteed either so he should be motivated to stay on the right path throughout the season.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
A number 1 overall and number 3 overall from the same draft.

Who says the NFL isn't like Madden

Isn't Rogers the #9 pick that year?

Wasnt that the Year NOBODY wanted the #1 pick...cause there wasnt a whole lot of Players anybody really wanted...
I have to admit that watching all of the corners go made me nervous and seeing Spikes, Baas, Clements, Franklin leave us without us getting anything in return made me sick. But you have to hand it to Baalke they are making good moves at reasonable prices.

Lets analyze the deals.....

Spikes - Great team leader but 14 years in the league, he's going to break down....I'll take Bowman

Baas - This was a tough one but he is getting 5 years 25 million vs Jonthan Goodwin at 3 years 11 milllion (Wnnner 49ers, I also like Synder getting reps at Center....it's a good place for him.)

Franklin - Franklin leaving us hurts, but he left to sign a 1 year deal and it wasn't a franchise tag.....it makes me think he just wanted out. I think Soap can do the job in the middle, and we will get more pressure with Ray Mc Donald at the end spot.

Nate Clements - GOODBYE TOAST......I still can't get over the fact that he got stripped getting that pick. DUMB PLAYER. We overpaid to get this guy and he wasn't the stopper for us. HELLO Carlos Rogers......Younger player, better skills.....nice price at 4.5 million. Good deal for the 49ers.

Dashon Goldson - I think the guy is getting bad advice from Rosenpuke.....the guy seems to have a pretty high opinion of himself. And from his twitter it sounds like we lost him. I would love to have the guy back, but he seems like he wants 40 million. Dante Whitner.....seems like a solid player and similiar to Dashon. Good hitter. I think they needed to make this move. And they got Madieu Williams for 1 year. They got two guys more cheaply than 1. (I'm still hoping they resign Dashon).

Hello Braylon Edwards......Maybe this will wake Mike "diva" Crabtree up! I personally was hoping for Malcolm Floyd, because of his size, but Braylon is a nice pick up for us that gives us speed and another big target 6 3 215 pounds at 3.5 Million for 1 year. He might flame out too, but it's a small risk. He gives us a legitimate weapon.

Goodbye Taylor Mays.......Well Mad Dog and most of the other top analysts in zone called it. TAYLOR MAYS is too stiff. When Pete Carroll passes you up then thats all you have to say. I was hoping for this guy to be a hammer, but he doesn't play big. I wish the 49ers had traded up to get Nate Allen. It also sucks that we wasted a 2nd rounder on this guy. Hopefully Reggie Smith can step up his game and become one of the starters. We need a ball hawk.

Good News is that we aren't done yet. If they can add another safety or even a corner it would make me more happy.

I can't wait to hear Ralph Barberi and Matt Barrows eat some crow with all of the recent signings.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I have to admit that watching all of the corners go made me nervous and seeing Spikes, Baas, Clements, Franklin leave us without us getting anything in return made me sick. But you have to hand it to Baalke they are making good moves at reasonable prices.

Lets analyze the deals.....

Spikes - Great team leader but 14 years in the league, he's going to break down....I'll take Bowman

Baas - This was a tough one but he is getting 5 years 25 million vs Jonthan Goodwin at 3 years 11 milllion (Wnnner 49ers, I also like Synder getting reps at Center....it's a good place for him.)

Franklin - Franklin leaving us hurts, but he left to sign a 1 year deal and it wasn't a franchise tag.....it makes me think he just wanted out. I think Soap can do the job in the middle, and we will get more pressure with Ray Mc Donald at the end spot.

Nate Clements - GOODBYE TOAST......I still can't get over the fact that he got stripped getting that pick. DUMB PLAYER. We overpaid to get this guy and he wasn't the stopper for us. HELLO Carlos Rogers......Younger player, better skills.....nice price at 4.5 million. Good deal for the 49ers.

Dashon Goldson - I think the guy is getting bad advice from Rosenpuke.....the guy seems to have a pretty high opinion of himself. And from his twitter it sounds like we lost him. I would love to have the guy back, but he seems like he wants 40 million. Dante Whitner.....seems like a solid player and similiar to Dashon. Good hitter. I think they needed to make this move. And they got Madieu Williams for 1 year. They got two guys more cheaply than 1. (I'm still hoping they resign Dashon).

Hello Braylon Edwards......Maybe this will wake Mike "diva" Crabtree up! I personally was hoping for Malcolm Floyd, because of his size, but Braylon is a nice pick up for us that gives us speed and another big target 6 3 215 pounds at 3.5 Million for 1 year. He might flame out too, but it's a small risk. He gives us a legitimate weapon.

Goodbye Taylor Mays.......Well Mad Dog and most of the other top analysts in zone called it. TAYLOR MAYS is too stiff. When Pete Carroll passes you up then thats all you have to say. I was hoping for this guy to be a hammer, but he doesn't play big. I wish the 49ers had traded up to get Nate Allen. It also sucks that we wasted a 2nd rounder on this guy. Hopefully Reggie Smith can step up his game and become one of the starters. We need a ball hawk.

Good News is that we aren't done yet. If they can add another safety or even a corner it would make me more happy.

I can't wait to hear Ralph Barberi and Matt Barrows eat some crow with all of the recent signings.

it's been a nice recovery but given our space available, I still would have preferred a longterm solution at cb at the point when the market had legit names in it. and without knowing the actual demands, not locking up goldson hurts.

I don't mind any of the losses, especially clements but I don't think bowman adequately addresses the loss of spikes and while it doesn't seem like we had much choice in the matter given his demands, losing goldson for whitner is a downgrade.

I think franklin has been replaced just fine, bass wasn't the hall of famer he's been made out to be in some circles, and rodgers is a no-brainer upgrade over clements. edwards instantly becomes our best wr and finally breaks the crutch we've tied ourselves to in joshua morgan..seems like a good kid but we need better.

with the 1 year deals though, we will be playing this game again next year. I am not enamoured with the fa work baalke did because I did think a few high quality longterm solutions were out there to be had. I don't think temporarily plugging holes here and there qualifies as a stellar fa period. most years don't see this many quality cb's on the market yet our lack of long term action has us in the same boat next year that we were in this year, with our 1st round pick, we need two players, a cb and qb.
*modded*

Look at that muscle. So hard; but yet so soft and warm.

[ Edited by SealTeam6 on Aug 5, 2011 at 09:26:10 ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Wait until all the teams who are over the cap have to start cutting guys......then people get really get down on that dere crow.

Before we started signing people last week I was thinking this. I think we will pick up another DB when teams do their cuts.
*modded*

Man that is a serious ghetto booty!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It is heartnening to see the Niners make these last minute moves. Adding Goodwin, Whitner and Edwards helps our team's chances a lot more in 2011 than the roster we had a couple days ago. Some notes to go with BrianGo's listing of free agent players signed by the team, in addition to Corcoran, who was also signed:

Braylon Edwards- A nice potential addition to the WR's. 53 receptions in 2010 was not impressive, but 17.1 yards/catch and 7 TD's is nice. Living in Ohio, and watching a ton of Browns' games over the years, I have to say "Buyer Beware". The kid is an underachiever, and has hands of stone. Ted Ginn hands of stone. But, certainly worth the risk for the money, especially with Crabtree down for awhile. Edwards, who is never going to win the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, still has to clear a potential legal hurdle, as mentioned from Fox News in the story below today:

NFL free agent Braylon Edwards could face legal trouble Thursday for his role in a fight that broke out at a bar in Birmingham, Mich., early Monday, the Detroit Free Press reported.

A statement from South Bar, in downtown Birmingham, implicated Edwards in the incident that saw two of his cousins charged with felonious assault after allegedly attacking two bouncers with a pocket knife and a fork.

"Braylon Edwards was present and involved, but it's an ongoing police investigation, so at this time, we don't have any further information," the bar confirmed Tuesday.

The Free Press also reported that "privately, employees at South Bar said Edwards was spurring on his cousins rather than trying to get them to stop fighting."

Edwards' cousins, brothers Tre Lenard Wright, 19, and Edmund Jerrell Wright, 22, both pleaded not guilty Monday.

Donte Whitner- Another big name acquisition who has underachieved, like Edwards, but presents good value in this contract, especially when analyzing the Niners' secondary. Like Edwards, the team really did not have much interest in retaining him, and like Edwards, did not have big interest to be picked up around the league.

He's still young, and can be a guy who holds the fort for two years, but Buffalo fans were not heartbroken over his departure, which should temper some Niners' fans enthusiasm. A good, but not great player.

Johnathan Goodwin- As mentioned last night on the Goodwin thread, he's going to be 33 during this season, and the Saints left him to walk. He was the 7th, 8th, 9th center (if someone can verify that would be great) to sign in free agency. Might hold up two years, and the best part is that it frees Snyder to replace Rachal. Got a lot of help in NO with their two monster All-Pro guards.

Carlos Rogers- As in common with the previously mentioned threesome, not much interest around the league. Definitely a second or third tier CB at this point, and nowhere near the level of Asomugha, Joseph, Taylor, or even Carr...but miles better than T. Brown. So, another good one year signing.

Antwan Applewhite- He is a roster filler, a guy who is a team's fourth OLB. Not worthy of being excited.

Larry Grant- A big hustle guy who will compete for a backup ILB role. Good special teamer.

I get the idea that many want a collective crow eating to take place on the board. I'm not sure why this is so important to them. Some are calling for people to aplogize. Now, that is bizarre. Maybe they believe Trent Baalke is a genius, and the master plan fell into place. Maybe they just want to dismiss any criticism against ownership. I guess Trent and Jed have many relatives on the board.

Well, I can guarantee that this was not the master plan. This was not even the backup to the master plan or the backup to the backup to the master plan. It was a complete failure up front, with a mad scramble to pick up big-named players who are in the back side of their career, or have massively underachieved. A celebration for big-named guys that virtually nobody wanted in free agency is not a reason for an "aha" moment, or a demand for crow-eating.

Will the acquisitions help the team? I think so. Edwards brings a big play ability, but will also crush your heart. However, fans have to ask themselves: why was there so little interest around the league for him? The same goes for Whitner and Rogers. All of them are better than the current man on the roster,so this makes me happy. But is any a "difference maker", someone who will take a team to the next level? No.

That is my opinion.

Now, on to Taylor Mays. And... suddenly, without warning, the "aha" crowd goes defeaningly silent.

Cheers.

I don’t know why everyone gets so worked up about your posts you when you are clearly joking. I love this shtick you have perfected. You know, the one where you come off as this insufferable douche bag, who thinks he is smarter than everyone else, who refuses to ever acknowledge when he is wrong, who creates these “big boards” and player analysis based solely on the regurgitated material from true professionals, who is so desperate for attention that he intentionally creates flawed, exaggerated, inflammatory arguments just to pit himself against everyone else, who is clearly the Will Hunting of college and pro football who toils away in OH grading papers when in reality he is the greatest football mind since Bill Walsh just waiting for his big break. You should be lauded for creating this persona; it really brings some levity to the zone. I mean can you imagine if someone like that really existed?? Cheers
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
It is heartnening to see the Niners make these last minute moves. Adding Goodwin, Whitner and Edwards helps our team's chances a lot more in 2011 than the roster we had a couple days ago. Some notes to go with BrianGo's listing of free agent players signed by the team, in addition to Corcoran, who was also signed:

Braylon Edwards- A nice potential addition to the WR's. 53 receptions in 2010 was not impressive, but 17.1 yards/catch and 7 TD's is nice. Living in Ohio, and watching a ton of Browns' games over the years, I have to say "Buyer Beware". The kid is an underachiever, and has hands of stone. Ted Ginn hands of stone. But, certainly worth the risk for the money, especially with Crabtree down for awhile. Edwards, who is never going to win the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, still has to clear a potential legal hurdle, as mentioned from Fox News in the story below today:

NFL free agent Braylon Edwards could face legal trouble Thursday for his role in a fight that broke out at a bar in Birmingham, Mich., early Monday, the Detroit Free Press reported.

A statement from South Bar, in downtown Birmingham, implicated Edwards in the incident that saw two of his cousins charged with felonious assault after allegedly attacking two bouncers with a pocket knife and a fork.

"Braylon Edwards was present and involved, but it's an ongoing police investigation, so at this time, we don't have any further information," the bar confirmed Tuesday.

The Free Press also reported that "privately, employees at South Bar said Edwards was spurring on his cousins rather than trying to get them to stop fighting."

Edwards' cousins, brothers Tre Lenard Wright, 19, and Edmund Jerrell Wright, 22, both pleaded not guilty Monday.

Donte Whitner- Another big name acquisition who has underachieved, like Edwards, but presents good value in this contract, especially when analyzing the Niners' secondary. Like Edwards, the team really did not have much interest in retaining him, and like Edwards, did not have big interest to be picked up around the league.

He's still young, and can be a guy who holds the fort for two years, but Buffalo fans were not heartbroken over his departure, which should temper some Niners' fans enthusiasm. A good, but not great player.

Johnathan Goodwin- As mentioned last night on the Goodwin thread, he's going to be 33 during this season, and the Saints left him to walk. He was the 7th, 8th, 9th center (if someone can verify that would be great) to sign in free agency. Might hold up two years, and the best part is that it frees Snyder to replace Rachal. Got a lot of help in NO with their two monster All-Pro guards.

Carlos Rogers- As in common with the previously mentioned threesome, not much interest around the league. Definitely a second or third tier CB at this point, and nowhere near the level of Asomugha, Joseph, Taylor, or even Carr...but miles better than T. Brown. So, another good one year signing.

Antwan Applewhite- He is a roster filler, a guy who is a team's fourth OLB. Not worthy of being excited.

Larry Grant- A big hustle guy who will compete for a backup ILB role. Good special teamer.

I get the idea that many want a collective crow eating to take place on the board. I'm not sure why this is so important to them. Some are calling for people to aplogize. Now, that is bizarre. Maybe they believe Trent Baalke is a genius, and the master plan fell into place. Maybe they just want to dismiss any criticism against ownership. I guess Trent and Jed have many relatives on the board.

Well, I can guarantee that this was not the master plan. This was not even the backup to the master plan or the backup to the backup to the master plan. It was a complete failure up front, with a mad scramble to pick up big-named players who are in the back side of their career, or have massively underachieved. A celebration for big-named guys that virtually nobody wanted in free agency is not a reason for an "aha" moment, or a demand for crow-eating.

Will the acquisitions help the team? I think so. Edwards brings a big play ability, but will also crush your heart. However, fans have to ask themselves: why was there so little interest around the league for him? The same goes for Whitner and Rogers. All of them are better than the current man on the roster,so this makes me happy. But is any a "difference maker", someone who will take a team to the next level? No.

That is my opinion.

Now, on to Taylor Mays. And... suddenly, without warning, the "aha" crowd goes defeaningly silent.

Cheers.

I don’t know why everyone gets so worked up about your posts you when you are clearly joking. I love this shtick you have perfected. You know, the one where you come off as this insufferable douche bag, who thinks he is smarter than everyone else, who refuses to ever acknowledge when he is wrong, who creates these “big boards” and player analysis based solely on the regurgitated material from true professionals, who is so desperate for attention that he intentionally creates flawed, exaggerated, inflammatory arguments just to pit himself against everyone else, who is clearly the Will Hunting of college and pro football who toils away in OH grading papers when in reality he is the greatest football mind since Bill Walsh just waiting for his big break. You should be lauded for creating this persona; it really brings some levity to the zone. I mean can you imagine if someone like that really existed?? Cheers

yeah what he said
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
The Edwards signing doesn't mean anything. He can be good or he can be very average.
Remember how D-Jax worked out?

Braylon Edwards is way better than D Jax and D Jax was on the tail end of his career.

Edwards is a classic underachiever that gets into too much trouble. That wasn't the point.
The point is, fans tend to hype up a player in the off-season when they really don't have much reason too.

This free agency period has been horrible for this team. Every big name free agent that the Niners went after simply refused to play for this team. EVEN WHEN THE NINERS OFFERED MORE MONEY THAN OTHER TEAMS, guys still didn't want to play here.
Baalke signs a couple guys that nobody really wanted and we're supposed to "eat crow" ? Gimme a break

I don't care about anyone eating crow - but Nnamdi refused to play for many teams that offered more money - not just Niners. Cromartie stayed with Jets (a huge incentive when you don't have to move).

Patriots traded for Chad and Albert - no one wanted them but they traded for them. Just because no one wants them - doesn't mean a whole lot. SF Giants signed a bunch of players no wanted last year before the season, and during the season - but it worked.

Have you looked at the Stanford roster under Harbaugh - he recruited a bunch a player who no one wanted. It's about finding the right fit. How many championships Redskins have won under Snyder? Going after big name free-agents and paying big has hardly worked in NFL since the mid-90s.

Let's wait and see how these players fit in Harbaugh's plan.

Agree, can't wait!
i was one of them. I was sort of mad at Trent for not getting involved. It's just weird how everything is so secretive, like..."dont tell, no body" kinda thing...

Oh well. This has been a good off season. We had to make some moves...good stuff lets get it!!

That is my opinion.

Cheers.

I wanna have your babies.
There was so much estrogen ad b***hing like lil girls and now what?!?!

We have a good FA and we now all have tits from the plethora of estrogen lol

Cheers.

Skip Bayless, Rome, Ralph, Cohn, Les Crain...it's a well honored tradition.