LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

could the problem with the oline be mike solari?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Watch Dallas's O-line. THAT is an O-line. I hate to admit it, but they might be the best in the league.

No b******t excuses for them, no excuses about their coaching. They are just flat out GOOD. Unlike our O-line.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Watch Dallas's O-line. THAT is an O-line. I hate to admit it, but they might be the best in the league.

No b******t excuses for them, no excuses about their coaching. They are just flat out GOOD. Unlike our O-line.

You know what's interesting about this is that it will make their game in Seattle a lot more interesting than I thought it would.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

You know what's interesting about this is that it will make their game in Seattle a lot more interesting than I thought it would.

TRUE.

I thought that as well. The best chance to beat Seattle up there is to bring an O-line and running game.

The home loss to the Bears was devastating, Seattle will have to lose at least one home game if we want to have a chance at winning the division.
The Cowboys were stupid against us, they should have kept running the ball. They have since learned their lesson and have not lost a game since they figured out their O-line is boss.

Ironically, the Cowboys are arguably the only team that has actually outplayed us this year.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I don't think is Mike Solari, he has done a great job on the O-line for years. To me, is simply attrition of the players and I don't just mean injuries. The NFL is a very competitive league, a player might be strong and dominant one year or for a number of years, but that is not to say the competition or more specifically the opposing D-line is going to stay constant. In theory, an O-lineman doesn't even need to regress to get smoked by the opposing D-lineman if the other teams are drafting younger and stronger new blood or signing up superior free agents. In other words, if you don't continue to progress, you are basically regressing.

One alarming sign I saw in the last few games is Joe Staley getting smoked. That is very worrying to me if Joe Staley is considered to be the best player we've got on our O-line then it gives you an idea of the state of the line. Well, the guy has already turned 30, some players regress earlier than others at least in terms of physical ability. Then you add on Lupati's so so play, Boone's rustiness and Anthony Davis being injured, you just don't have a very good O-line anymore.

So, bottomline, the reason for our O-line's substandard play could simply be because we just haven't been able to keep up with the competition, be it from the standpoint of talent, age, physical dominance in terms of strength and power as opposed to bad coaching.
Staley has ALWAYS allowed pressure. If Kap runs from it, he doesn't "stay in the pocket long enough." If he takes a sack, all of a sudden, people notice Staley gave up a sack, even though this is something he has always done.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Solari hasn't done a great job for years. Remember Solari was a hold-over from the Nolan era and those lines under Nolan/Sing despite good talent were terrible. The line suddenly got better under Harbaugh who brought in Tim Drevno to coach the running game. If anything this thread which goes back a few years shows that Solari has not done a great job alone over the years.

Dallas' line is good because they have a great coach and talent to pull off their scheme. When there's a player or two that's bad, I get it. When everyone is bad, unfocused, not paying attention, in the wrong place, that's preparation. Sure if it was the first game, I can see that but every game thus far the OL has been suspect - and not necessarily the new guys - it's been the vets who've been stinking it up.

A veteran line might have its own drawbacks in that the opposition gets to know their every strength and weakness. Then they spend all week working on ways to exploit those flaws. If the line is in constant flux then the tendencies are harder to know, but of course a constantly changing line will have its own inherent problems anyway. There is no magic answer or player or coach.
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
Or do you think it could be Kap holds onto the ball too long waiting for that knock out pass when he should be checking down instead? Hmmmmmmm.......
Yea you're right. Our Oline play has been absolutely Stellar .
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
This Coach Solari can only do so much , I think the problem besides health is they have just not become a cohesive unit yet. There are some communication and assignment issues I think they will get worked out.

Obviously this. An Oline requires cohesion and nonverbal communication to operate properly. We've had guys shuffling in and out. Davis and Boone missed camp. Iupati coming off an injury. New center. It's going to take time for everyone to get adjusted and pickup a rhythm. Even the coaches.

I have to second this, but part of me is wondering if the 49ers are telegraphing (in detail) what they're going to do. If the Defense KNOWS it's a pass, they're going to rush hard; especially with a QB that can close 5 - 10 yards in a couple of steps. If they know they're going to run, the DB's play soft and commit once they see the line move hard up field.
Our offensive Line Has Been VERY OFFENSIVE this season. Piss Poor Runblocking and even worse pass blocking. I BLAME 80% of the offenses woes on the offensive Line and the other 20% on KAP and JHGR
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think some of you are forgetting injuries and holdouts have hurt this O-line. As it looks so far, Roman has been trying to install a pass-happy offense and Alex Boone hasn't been in camp the whole off season, did some of you expect him to come in and been a wall right off the bat?? If Kaepernick would step his ass up in the pocket or throws some check downs he would help his O-line out tremendously.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
It's just not the OL, you can tell the frustration on Kaps eyes all day long.. he's getting more and more confuse our there.. the D has already figured out who to stop him from running from the Pistol Formation..

The D already know he can't throw the slant passes.. as you all saw what Ive been talking about..

I swear, I have never seen a QB over throw a freakin SLANT pass.. .I've seen a ball sail, I've seen a ball short to the ground, but I have never seen over throwing a slant pass..
Myth: This offensive line is one of the best in football. This notion has been perpetuated over the years by lazy "journalists" latching on to soundbites that have been put out there by guys like Aikman a few years back. Lazy journalists have been parroting these thoughts over the years without looking at the actual film. When people who don't know hear it enough, they start to believe it.

Myth: This is a great run blocking line. When is the last time you saw this line dominate a good defense running the ball WHEN IT COUNTS ?

Myth: Joe Staley is a great left tackle. I will say he is probably our best offensive lineman, but far from great. Gets beaten way too many times by speed rushers.

Fact: 27 sacks allowed. 3rd worse in the league. Yes, Kaep holds onto the ball too long, which contributes to this, but still very bad.

Fact: 4.1 yds per attempt rushing. 18th in the league. Far, far from dominant or even good. Gore is not the problem. In fact, he has been making this group look a lot better than it is over the years due to his ability to slip through the smallest of holes and run through contact for extra yards. Now that he's getting older, the deficiencies in the line - allowing penetration, not holding their blocks, missed assignments, etc. are coming into focus.

Injuries and holdouts have hurt. No question about it. Boone is having a terrible year. Staley - subpar. Iupati was awful in the beginning, but had put together some solid outings. But still way too many missed blocks and whiffs to be elite. Anthony Davis will have an occasional meltdown, but I think he is pretty solid. I thought Kilgore was having a nice year all things considered. His injury will magnify the problems at guard with Iupati and Boone, since Martin will need a lot of work and time to get comfortable.

So let's not kid ourselves and make excuses about holdouts, injuries, scheme, etc. This is not a great offensive line. When all starters are playing they are at best above average. Not a dominant unit. Not game changers.
Originally posted by NJ49er:
Myth: This offensive line is one of the best in football. This notion has been perpetuated over the years by lazy "journalists" latching on to soundbites that have been put out there by guys like Aikman a few years back. Lazy journalists have been parroting these thoughts over the years without looking at the actual film. When people who don't know hear it enough, they start to believe it.

Myth: This is a great run blocking line. When is the last time you saw this line dominate a good defense running the ball WHEN IT COUNTS ?

Myth: Joe Staley is a great left tackle. I will say he is probably our best offensive lineman, but far from great. Gets beaten way too many times by speed rushers.

Fact: 27 sacks allowed. 3rd worse in the league. Yes, Kaep holds onto the ball too long, which contributes to this, but still very bad.

Fact: 4.1 yds per attempt rushing. 18th in the league. Far, far from dominant or even good. Gore is not the problem. In fact, he has been making this group look a lot better than it is over the years due to his ability to slip through the smallest of holes and run through contact for extra yards. Now that he's getting older, the deficiencies in the line - allowing penetration, not holding their blocks, missed assignments, etc. are coming into focus.

Injuries and holdouts have hurt. No question about it. Boone is having a terrible year. Staley - subpar. Iupati was awful in the beginning, but had put together some solid outings. But still way too many missed blocks and whiffs to be elite. Anthony Davis will have an occasional meltdown, but I think he is pretty solid. I thought Kilgore was having a nice year all things considered. His injury will magnify the problems at guard with Iupati and Boone, since Martin will need a lot of work and time to get comfortable.

So let's not kid ourselves and make excuses about holdouts, injuries, scheme, etc. This is not a great offensive line. When all starters are playing they are at best above average. Not a dominant unit. Not game changers.

I've seen this team dominate in the running game a few times over the years, but they were never a great O-line overall. I do believe there has been enough talent invested into the O-line that they shouldn't look this poor.
Our blocking schemes are sooooooooooooo bad compared to Seattle's yet our OL talent is supposedly better. It's frustrating because you beat Seattle by running the ball well, first half proved it and it's the common factor in every loss or close game they've had the past couple years.
Originally posted by znk916:
Our blocking schemes are sooooooooooooo bad compared to Seattle's yet our OL talent is supposedly better. It's frustrating because you beat Seattle by running the ball well, first half proved it and it's the common factor in every loss or close game they've had the past couple years.

Gore and Hyde going down killed us.
Share 49ersWebzone