There are 164 users in the forums

Niners Sign C Goodwin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I guess we can go back to hating life ..thanks MD

Sorry, but reality sucks. The Baalke-York combination set the bar so low for achievement that I think many are thrilled to pick up these guys. However, it doesn't get them off the hook for their complete incompetence.

Let's say I took everyone on the Webzone back to the day before free agency opened and stated that we would lose six starters (Baas, Clements, Spikes, Lawson, Franklin, Goldson) and would pick up Madieu Williams, Carlos Rogers, and Jonathan Goodwin. Be honest, people, you would throw a complete and utter fit.

And yet, many board members are acting as if this free agency has been a remarkable success. The Yorks have duped fans again and expect us to "be patient", and believe they have a "plan". Do any on the board believe the plan was to get anything that looks like Williams, Rogers, and Goodwin?

The spate of posts ignoring MD's point goes to prove his point. Most of you would have been upset with the loss of six starters replaced by three.

Respectfully disagree, AB posts allot of cap and contract info. If you revisit his post last season about who was coming up in FA this offseason it showed how many starters we could potentially lose. I think Baas was the biggest surprise because fans felt he would be loyal to us, but when you look at the contract he was offered it was a done deal.

Spikes has been interviewed multiple times over the lockout and avoided every question about returning to the niners, and also stated he wanted another chance at a ring. With a new HC and transitioning QB position, really wasnt all that surprising.

Clements was gone when he refused to restructure, how is he worth $14m against the cap? That is more than Revis or Nnamdi.

Manny and Franklin not getting extensions last season when they were asking for it meant they were gone this season.

Goldson... a) he's not gone yet, and b) he's been clamoring about getting "paid" a Rolle-type contract ever since his carreer game vs AZ. His production doesnt match his asking price, but he is still a ? as nothing is set in stone with where he will end up in 2011.

We lost no probowlers or anyone where the writing wasn't on the wall. As a poster stated in a different thread, we drafted OLB, 2 interior lineman, two CBs, and a safety. We also are returning Smith, Mays, Spillman, McKillop, Bowman, RJF, Tukuafu, and signed potential quality UDFA in Ian Williams which was the top rated UDFA available. The game of football requires players to step up when given their opportunity, this is their chance.

None of these were really surprises. Fans want to criticize our front office for not over extending or overpaying players when we have cap room, but then totally absolve players of any criticism for not showing loyalty saying "it's just business." The reality is that it goes both ways, to pay more than market value for a player is fiscally irresponsible and would screw this team over in the long run.

[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 4, 2011 at 08:25:47 ]
Originally posted by 5280High:

Sorry, but reality sucks. The Baalke-York combination set the bar so low for achievement that I think many are thrilled to pick up these guys. However, it doesn't get them off the hook for their complete incompetence.

Let's say I took everyone on the Webzone back to the day before free agency opened and stated that we would lose six starters (Baas, Clements, Spikes, Lawson, Franklin, Goldson) and would pick up Madieu Williams, Carlos Rogers, and Jonathan Goodwin. Be honest, people, you would throw a complete and utter fit.

And yet, many board members are acting as if this free agency has been a remarkable success. The Yorks have duped fans again and expect us to "be patient", and believe they have a "plan". Do any on the board believe the plan was to get anything that looks like Williams, Rogers, and Goodwin?

The spate of posts ignoring MD's point goes to prove his point. Most of you would have been upset with the loss of six starters replaced by three.

Respectfully disagree, AB posts allot of cap and contract info. If you revisit his post last season about who was coming up in FA this offseason it showed how many starters we could potentially lose. I think Baas was the biggest surprise because fans felt he would be loyal to us, but when you look at the contract he was offered it was a done deal.

Spikes has been interviewed multiple times over the lockout and avoided every question about returning to the niners, and also stated he wanted another chance at a ring. With a new HC and transitioning QB position, really wasnt all that surprising.

Clements was gone when he refused to restructure, how is he worth $14m against the cap? That is more than Revis or Nnamdi.

Manny and Franklin not getting extensions last season when they were asking for it meant they were gone this season.

Goldson... a) he's not gone yet, and b) he's been clamoring about getting "paid" a Rolle-type contract ever since his carreer game vs AZ. His production doesnt match his asking price, but he is still a ? as nothing is set in stone with where he will end up in 2011.

We lost no probowlers or anyone where the writing wasn't on the wall. As a poster stated in a different thread, we drafted OLB, 2 interior lineman, two CBs, and a safety. We also are returning Smith, Mays, Spillman, McKillop, Bowman, RJF, Tukuafu, and signed potential quality UDFA in Ian Williams which was the top rated UDFA available. The game of football requires players to step up when given their opportunity, this is their chance.

None of these were really surprises. Fans want to criticize our front office for not over extending or overpaying players when we have cap room, but then totally absolve players of any criticism for not showing loyalty saying "it's just business." The reality is that it goes both ways, to pay more than market value for a player is fiscally irresponsible and would screw this team over in the long run.

Nicely stated!

No, the spate of posts ignoring MD's point goes to show he hasn't really made one that resonates with anyone else. It's clear that he is arguing with a personal bias.

I'm sorry but just because you can overpay for average players doesn't mean you should. Doing so is fiscally irresponsible and hurts the team MORE in the long run.

No, I would not throw a complete fit. Not at all. Because as much as those players may have been valuable to "this defense" there are two things that are undeniable to anyone who watched us play last year.

1. None of these guys leaving wasn't foreshadowed. Clements wouldn't restructure, Lawson was never a good fit, Spikes avoided the issue of returning all off-season, we had to use the franchise tag to keep Franklin, and Goldson believes he's worth way more than he is. The only one who is a surprise was Baas, but even he is just an AVERAGE player. You don't overpay to keep average players. Not ever. Especially when you are not close to contending for a superbowl.

2. This defense is flawed as it is currently constructed and we need some new blood. Clements can't cover, and Lawson isn't really much of a pass rush presense. The only thing we could really hang our hat on last year was stopping the run, and in all honesty that is not as hard to develop as a fierce pass defense.

It's not 6 starters replaced by three, especially when many of you, INCLUDING MD, complained about the performance of said 'starters' The correct way to phrase it would be 6 players replaced by 3 FA's and 3 younger players, who all have the potential to be better than the players they replaced.

[ Edited by norcal49er864 on Aug 4, 2011 at 10:51:27 ]
Originally posted by redrathman:

LMAO.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by redrathman:

LMAO.

Originally posted by norcal49er864:

No, the spate of posts ignoring MD's point goes to show he hasn't really made one that resonates with anyone else. It's clear that he is arguing with a personal bias.

I'm sorry but just because you can overpay for average players doesn't mean you should. Doing so is fiscally irresponsible and hurts the team MORE in the long run.

No, I would not throw a complete fit. Not at all. Because as much as those players may have been valuable to "this defense" there are two things that are undeniable to anyone who watched us play last year.

1. None of these guys leaving wasn't foreshadowed. Clements wouldn't restructure, Lawson was never a good fit, Spikes avoided the issue of returning all off-season, we had to use the franchise tag to keep Franklin, and Goldson believes he's worth way more than he is. The only one who is a surprise was Baas, but even he is just an AVERAGE player. You don't overpay to keep average players. Not ever. Especially when you are not close to contending for a superbowl.

2. This defense is flawed as it is currently constructed and we need some new blood. Clements can't cover, and Lawson isn't really much of a pass rush presense. The only thing we could really hang our hat on last year was stopping the run, and in all honesty that is not as hard to develop as a fierce pass defense.

It's not 6 starters replaced by three, especially when many of you, INCLUDING MD, complained about the performance of said 'starters' The correct way to phrase it would be 6 players replaced by 3 FA's and 3 younger players, who all have the potential to be better than the players they replaced.

I mostly agree with this.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by boast:

LMAO!
Originally posted by 49erWill:
there are posters complaining about him being 32...

FYI

4 players of our starting O-line in our last Superbowl were 30 or older.

8 of the 11 starters on offense were 30 or older.

ok bye have a nice day.

If we had a Superbowl contending team than I'd be stoked about adding Goodwin. I would have also rooted for us to add guys like Plax. But the truth is we're far from contending for a Superbowl. It made sense for us to take in vets on an already stacked team just like it makes sense for the Pats to add vets like Chad Johnson now, but not so much for us to add a Chad Johnson today.

As I've stated before, my concern is that by the time we're good enough to compete, a 32 year old like Goodwin skills may have dwindled to the point to where it's time to replace him, making the signing a waste of his talent. The best case scenario is Harbough beats Walsh's pace and have us competing for a title next year. That way Goodwin will still be able to be a major contributor to a Superbowl run.

[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Aug 4, 2011 at 12:45:41 ]

Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

FYI

ok bye have a nice day.

If we had a Superbowl contending team than I'd be stoked about adding Goodwin. I would have also rooted for us to add guys like Plax. But the truth is we're far from contending for a Superbowl. It made sense for us to take in vets on an already stacked team just like it makes sense for the Pats to add vets like Chad Johnson now, but not so much for us to add a Chad Johnson today.

As I've stated before, my concern is that by the time we're good enough to compete, a 32 year old like Goodwin skills may have dwindled to the point to where it's time to replace him, making the signing a waste of his talent. The best case scenario is Harbough beats Walsh's pace and have us competing for a title next year. That way Goodwin will still be able to be a major contributor to a Superbowl run.

They made the best of a bad situation. Baas wasn't a great center so they couldn't justify overpaying and they drafted two young guys to groom. By the time Goodwin is done they will hopefully have a young guy ready and waiting...or they look for another FA/higher draft pick.
mattbarrows: Center J Goodwin likes vibe in SF. "The way everybody's working -- the work ethic. It really does remind me of the 1st year I got to N.O."
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

FYI

ok bye have a nice day.

They made the best of a bad situation. Baas wasn't a great center so they couldn't justify overpaying and they drafted two young guys to groom. By the time Goodwin is done they will hopefully have a young guy ready and waiting...or they look for another FA/higher draft pick.

Yeah I definitely agree that Goodwin was the best option. I'm just hoping we can compete sooner than later with someone like him on the line. Or like you said, in a few years we may have someone who groomed to take his place.
Originally posted by PTulini:
mattbarrows: Center J Goodwin likes vibe in SF. "The way everybody's working -- the work ethic. It really does remind me of the 1st year I got to N.O."

Jonathan Goodwin is wearing #66!
Share 49ersWebzone