Manny, 1yr
Baas, 26M
LaBoy, 2yr

Gained

Applewhite
Akers
Grant
Williams

Note though, released players dont count. So Nate doesnt, as does Madieu, and I think grant and applewhite dont either since their tenders were rescinded.

Look for 4 picks.

I would think 4th, 5th and 2 6ths

depending on season, Baas should get a 4th for the deal by itself. And he will start.

Spikes a 5th, If Franklin counts, and Lawson should so 2 6ths.

Good job, AB.

I also read up on on comp picks , and basically came up with the same thing you did, although, since Spikes has atleast 10 accrued seasons, and is making roughly 3.5 million/year, I would think he would only net us a 6th.

Also, since Akers had a transition tag rescinded, not sure if by the team or the NFL, I dont think he would count as well.

Just to update after Goodwin and Rogers signed, the only players who I believe qualify, we should get :

4th rd: Baas ( could be a 3rd if he signed for more than 6.5 per year and starts )
6th rd: Franklin ( 5th if signed to more than 4 million and plays alot of snaps )
7th rd: Laboy ( should get 7th as long as he makes roster )

Add another 6th or so if Goldson leaves. I doubt we will sign a veteran for more than 4.5 million, unless cut or released, so we do not lose the 3rd or 4th for Baas.
I think part of the plan was to see if anyone would give top 5 deals to Franklin, Baas and Goldson, thus giving us 3 extra 3rd rd choices next year.

Anyone interested to read about the way comp picks work, click the link above. Good read
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ebayniner:
Originally posted by aman49:
Can we use our comp picks to draft new fans? Most of Niner Talk needs to be released.

OMG! LMAO funny.

K it was funny but not THAT funny...
With this new agreement, I don't know if all these player loses equal to compensation picks. If they do we should at least get a 3 and 4 nate and Lawson next year.
Originally posted by thaakingd:
With this new agreement, I don't know if all these player loses equal to compensation picks. If they do we should at least get a 3 and 4 nate and Lawson next year.

I wonder if the C we got, offsets losing baas?
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Too early to tell.
  • evil
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=156419&highlight=comp
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Won't get anything for Nate because he was cut. You only gain and lose comp picks for players whos contracts expired. If the team cut the player or a signed player was cut bby his previous team, they don't count in the formula.

We would get something for losing Franklin, Baas, Lawson, and Spikes.

That is offset tho by signing Edwards, Williams, Whitner, and Goodwin (Rogers doesn't count because he was cut by his previous team).

I think it all evens out right now, but this is the way it worked in the OLD CBA. I dunno if those rules have changed.
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Won't get anything for Nate because he was cut. You only gain and lose comp picks for players whos contracts expired. If the team cut the player or a signed player was cut bby his previous team, they don't count in the formula.

That is offset tho by signing Edwards, Williams, Whitner, and Goodwin (Rogers doesn't count because he was cut by his previous team).

I think it all evens out right now, but this is the way it worked in the OLD CBA. I dunno if those rules have changed.

Gholdson would add to this list and he was a 16 game starter for us.
Originally posted by cgida:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Gholdson would add to this list and he was a 16 game starter for us.

Does he add to this list regardless of if he signs with someone else or not?
Hmmm ok. Well that sucks if we don't get compensation for lost with replacement. How else will you fill your roster? lol. We did cut Nate so I mark that one off, but if all the rest still apply I believe we should be getting something for these guys

• krizay
  • Veteran
LOL at you guys trying to figure this out already. Yes, the size of the contract counts toward what kind of compensation we get but playing time and stats/accolades = the bigger chunks.

So right now we have 1/3 of the equation in place with 2/3's still some 5 months away.

It's pointless and rediculous to try and figure this out right now.

Nate was cut so none for him. We probably would have but we have offset most of the losses. We have signed a lot of players. The formula takes into account how long the deals where and for how much as well as who we signed for and for how much. We probably won't get more than a one or two late ones now that we signed all these guys. We won't know until a month or less before the draft so we will have to wait.

Now we go back to last week before all these guys and we might have something. That was before Franklin and Lawson signed one year smaller deals and we hadn't signed anyone. Pretty much needs to be a long term big deal while not signing anybody to a big deal yourself to get a 3rd-4th.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM ]
Found this in a recent article. Based on this, we could receive two comp picks at the end of the year (assuming Goldson signs somewhere are starts). In that case, we will have gained five starters and lost seven starters (in regards to players that count in the compensatory formula, that is).

Quote:
Additions
WR Braylon Edwards (UFA, Jets)
S Donte Whitner (UFA, Bills)
CB Carlos Rogers (UFA, Redskins)
C Jonathan Goodsin (UFA, Saints)
K David Akers (UFA, Eagles)
S Madieu Williams (released, Vikings)
LB Larry Grant (not tendered, Rams)
LB Blake Costanzo (not tendered, Browns)
OLB Antwan Applewhite (not tendered, Chargers).

Re-signings
QB Alex Smith (UFA)
DE Ray McDonald (UFA)
C/G Tony Wragge (UFA)
DB C.J. Spillman (EFA).

Subtractions
NT Aubrayo Franklin (UFA, Saints)
OLB Manny Lawson (UFA, Bengals)
C David Baas (UFA, Giants)
CB Nate Clements (released, Bengals)
LB Takeo Spikes (UFA, Chargers)
OLB Travis LaBoy (UFA, Chargers)
QB David Carr (released, Giants)
C Eric Heitmann (released/failed physical)
K Joe Nedney (released/failed physical, retired)
K Jeff Reed (UFA, Seahawks)

Unsigned free agents
S Dashon Goldson
OT Barry Sims
RB Brian Westbrook
DE Demetric Evans
CB Will James
QB Troy Smith
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone