LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

if Franklin returns, what does our d-line look like?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

if Franklin returns, what does our d-line look like?

Most DL rotate to keep the linemen fresh. I think that ideally I would like the following.

DE - Justin Smith

NT Franklin

DE Ray McDonald

Back up NT Ian Willaims, hope he makes the squad.

Back up DE Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Fancoise
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:

But honestly, how important is a 3-4 OLB's coverage ability? I think that's the last level of priority in a 3-4 OLB.

Well think about it. If your 3-4 OLBs are 1 dimensional (meaning say good rushers but lousy in coverage), then offenses can simply gameplan around the full assumption that the LB is coming in on each play. And we all know the point of the 3-4 is "where is the extra rusher coming from?" So, if your OLBs offer no threat in coverage, then it sure can take the mystery out of the scheme.

(ultimately, yes though... you want their primary strength to be in rushing QBs)

Yes but there's a difference between no threat in coverage and putting them in position to have minimal responsibility when they do cover. Brooks has shown he's adequate enough to cover and Aldon Smith appears just as athletic.

Manny Lawson and Julian Peterson were shut down coverage OLB's but virtually posed zero threat in rushing the QB. I would rather prefer two effective pass rushers who can drop back and handle some space over guys like Lawson.

But honestly, how important is a 3-4 OLB's coverage ability? I think that's the last level of priority in a 3-4 OLB.

Well think about it. If your 3-4 OLBs are 1 dimensional (meaning say good rushers but lousy in coverage), then offenses can simply gameplan around the full assumption that the LB is coming in on each play. And we all know the point of the 3-4 is "where is the extra rusher coming from?" So, if your OLBs offer no threat in coverage, then it sure can take the mystery out of the scheme.

(ultimately, yes though... you want their primary strength to be in rushing QBs)

Yes but there's a difference between no threat in coverage and putting them in position to have minimal responsibility when they do cover. Brooks has shown he's adequate enough to cover and Aldon Smith appears just as athletic.

Yeah, fair enough. I was thinking much the same as I was typing. It does come down to just how effective the LB can be in both coverage and rush.

Manny Lawson and Julian Peterson were shut down coverage OLB's but virtually posed zero threat in rushing the QB. I would rather prefer two effective pass rushers who can drop back and handle some space over guys like Lawson.

Would be nice, but there aren't a ton of these excellent pass rushers. There are, however, a lot of rushers that get sacks through clever scheme. SF hasn't been a team to bring that level of scheme. Some rushers are just good at beating OTs around the edge... some need help from everyone from CBs to DTs to have a good rush result.
Can't they just rotate Soap between NT and DE...?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Can't they just rotate Soap between NT and DE...?

You must mean stay in a 3-4, and if so...

Yes, we could. Lots of teams use heavy DL rotations. Just have to wonder if the higher paid talent will be happy enough with their amount of snaps. Bottom line is to use the personnel to the most of their ability and get the best 11 on the field.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by pd24:
For the 4-3

McDonald- Soap- Franklin- Smith

Brooks- Willis- Smith

Spencer- Smith/Mays- Goldson/Mays- Brown/Culiver
Neither Brooks nor Aldon have the coverage skills to play OLB, nor has either been proven to be able to play the run well from there.

Franklin is a one gap guy who has never played 4-3. So while he MIGHT be able to play DT in a 4-3,

I would help to bring back Lawson as he would be ideal at OLB 4-3 but I have heard nothing about him coming back.

Agree that we should prefer to keep Aldon Smith and Brooks as down lineman attacking the QB.

We can use both our DTs as 1 gap attackers. Not a big change for Franklin, and he would get subbed out often for Ray anyway.

Yep, if we got Manny back, we'd be all the wiser to put him at SLB and go 4-3.

J. Smith----McDonald----Franklin/Sopoaga---A.Smith
------Lawson---------Willis------------Bowman/Haralson

Not a bad front seven anymore. A lot of guys playing their natural positions, and guys like Brooks coming in fresh to play DE.

In yet another damning indictment on the management of the 49ers roster, 5+ years into a shift towards a 3-4 defense, and we still have personnel best suited for a 4-3 alignment.
Originally posted by andes14:

what happened i thought franklin was coming to sf for a visit?

?
Originally posted by 1Crabtree5:

what happened i thought franklin was coming to sf for a visit?

?

He did, but when the Niners offered him the league minimum and a clause in his contract that said he had to buy his own uniforms and pay for travel fair, he decided to look elsewhere.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Most DL rotate to keep the linemen fresh. I think that ideally I would like the following.

DE - Justin Smith

NT Franklin

DE Ray McDonald

Back up NT Ian Willaims, hope he makes the squad.

Back up DE Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Fancoise

Happy with this!!! lol Issac will spell franklin and justin on running downs as well! But ray mc is going to be a starter!
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd just say no to Franklin and save the money to sign Goldston.

I don't usually give a s**t about typos, lol, but I can't believe how many niner fans throw that "t" in there...it's GOLDSON.

Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd just say no to Franklin and save the money to sign Goldston.

I don't usually give a s**t about typos, lol, but I can't believe how many niner fans throw that "t" in there...it's GOLDSON.

same w/ david bass, its BAAS
blacker
Share 49ersWebzone