LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

if Franklin returns, what does our d-line look like?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

if Franklin returns, what does our d-line look like?

Soap would have to be the odd man out. We didnt pay ray mac to sit IMO
For 2011 at least, it almost makes sense to run a 4-3. We lost Spikes so we don't have a bona fide inside 'backer to play next to Willis, and we could then run Franklin and Sope at d-tackle and J. Smith and McDonald at d-end. Though long-term we still are best suited to run a 3-4 with Aldon as an outside 'backer and 3-4 d-end seems to be Justin's best postion.
Soap makes $4M tho
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Soap makes $4M tho

Same as McDonald
Originally posted by bigginz54:

Maybe, and then he can play about 15 snaps a game spelling Franklin and 15 snaps a game spelling McDonald.
Originally posted by andes14:
For 2011 at least, it almost makes sense to run a 4-3. We lost Spikes so we don't have a bona fide inside 'backer to play next to Willis, and we could then run Franklin and Sope at d-tackle and J. Smith and McDonald at d-end. Though long-term we still are best suited to run a 3-4 with Aldon as an outside 'backer and 3-4 d-end seems to be Justin's best postion.

That is a really interesting idea, and it makes a ton of sense to go 4-3. It won't happen though. But if it did I would love to see Aldon and Justin at DE, Sop play NT, and McDonald play a 3-technique interior pass-rusher role. Then we could move Bowman to 4-3 OLB which has always been his best fit in the NFL.
Rotate soap and ray mac. EASY!
Originally posted by YungAce:
Rotate soap and ray mac. EASY!

Seeing those 2 words made me hungry for some

Can we hit the "reset" button on free agency? Are we really going to have a rotational DE make $3.8 million? Just another sign the guys upstairs don't have much upstairs.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
It looks good, is what it looks like.
Originally posted by bigginz54:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Can we hit the "reset" button on free agency? Are we really going to have a rotational DE make $3.8 million? Just another sign the guys upstairs don't have much upstairs.

i believe that soap is in the last year of his deal. this is ideally what you want when trying to build a successful team. you want players on the way up while others are on the way out. just like ray mac and soap. also soap is versatile and can play the nose. i dont see a problem.

on a side note, whats the deal with franklin not being pursued by many teams? those that have enquired havent shown to much interest in him. last i heard kc was marginally interested. whats the cause for this? does he want to much money or does the rest of the nfl just tink he isnt very good? no doubt he is the top fa NT this year. i personally have never been wowed buy franklin. i think id be happier with soap if we stay with the 1 gap scheme.
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

i believe that soap is in the last year of his deal. this is ideally what you want when trying to build a successful team. you want players on the way up while others are on the way out. just like ray mac and soap. also soap is versatile and can play the nose. i dont see a problem.

on a side note, whats the deal with franklin not being pursued by many teams? those that have enquired havent shown to much interest in him. last i heard kc was marginally interested. whats the cause for this? does he want to much money or does the rest of the nfl just tink he isnt very good? no doubt he is the top fa NT this year. i personally have never been wowed buy franklin. i think id be happier with soap if we stay with the 1 gap scheme.

Sopoaga is signed through this year and next year.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If your going to give him the cash, to come back, he's not going to be sitting on the bench. It will be the same rotation as last year.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 1, 2011 at 05:29:23 ]
Share 49ersWebzone