There are 183 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011 Season - Niners sign Carlos Rogers

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN
CB Carlos Rogers wants to be back, and 49ers tell him they want him back -- at the right price. He wants it done before free agency.

Cruz raped him in the first half but Rogers was really good in the 2nd, i hope he comes back

I don't see it happening. He will be seeking big money in his last contract, and the highest bidder is going to win. I don't fault the team if they do not put out the highest bid, because it is a big risk handing out big money to a guy in is 30's.

How much you wanna bet he'll be back?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN
CB Carlos Rogers wants to be back, and 49ers tell him they want him back -- at the right price. He wants it done before free agency.

Cruz raped him in the first half but Rogers was really good in the 2nd, i hope he comes back

I don't see it happening. He will be seeking big money in his last contract, and the highest bidder is going to win. I don't fault the team if they do not put out the highest bid, because it is a big risk handing out big money to a guy in is 30's.

How much you wanna bet he'll be back?

And we need him. Where else are we gonna find a number one corner?
Well it would be good to sign him again. The core of this defense is very important for a future run. Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson are must haves IMO. Resign Carlos Rogers because he wants to be here. And Franchise Tag Dashon Goldson. Our D would be roughly the same. We want Ahmad Brooks back. Not sure if we would be able to though.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Rogers will ask for something similar to Cromartie's deal of 4 years $32 million. Maybe less because of his age but I think it's doable.
would love for Rogers to return, dont wanna go back to seeing our secondary get destroyed like years past
Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN

Nah, so long as the Niners are in the ballpark, they're the choice.
Eric Branch Also In San Francisco 49ers
#49ers free agent Carlos Rogers on if he'd take a "hometown discount" to stay in SF: "Hometown discount? I would take a team discount ... Just consider the team first. I definitely will. Like I told them, I like this from the owner to the GM to everybody that's in this organization. I like everything about this organization – all the players, the trainers. This ain't about me coming out and saying, 'Now I'm free, let's get the check.' I'm thinking about this team, and this is where I want to be.

For a guy like Rogers who was with a loser team his entire career and absorbed a lot of fan criticism, to be on a team that is WINNING and he is playing the best football of his life, just staying in that environment is worth a lot.
Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN

I may be drinking the Kool Aid but I believe that Team Harbaugh has market value. Just being in the playoffs and making the Pro Bowl will have a moderating effect. I agree with all you say in most cases, but will another team with as good a chance to win have a spot for him and the money? I don't have the answer right now but I do think this may be an exception.
Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN

The Ghost of Maddog?

Welcome back.
Originally posted by sfout:
Rogers will ask for something similar to Cromartie's deal of 4 years $32 million. Maybe less because of his age but I think it's doable.

I would option a 5th
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is a quote from Rogers.

ROGERS: "Hometown discount? I would take a team discount. Hometown discount – I think that's real low (laughs). But just consider the team first. I definitely will. Like I told them, I like this from the owner to the general manager to everybody that's in this organization. I like everything about this organization – all the players, the trainers. This ain't about me coming out and saying, 'Now I'm free, let's get the check.' I'm thinking about this team, and this is where I want to be."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/01/inside-the-49ers/carlos-rogers-on-free-agency-its-about-trying-to-keep-this-team-together/

I think that he stays. I want him to stay. Give him a good contract and tag Goldson.
Originally posted by buck:
Here is a quote from Rogers.

ROGERS: "Hometown discount? I would take a team discount. Hometown discount – I think that's real low (laughs). But just consider the team first. I definitely will. Like I told them, I like this from the owner to the general manager to everybody that's in this organization. I like everything about this organization – all the players, the trainers. This ain't about me coming out and saying, 'Now I'm free, let's get the check.' I'm thinking about this team, and this is where I want to be."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/01/inside-the-49ers/carlos-rogers-on-free-agency-its-about-trying-to-keep-this-team-together/

I think that he stays. I want him to stay. Give him a good contract and tag Goldson.

f**king awesome to hear this about our team

plyers will come here to win now
I'd give Rogers 3 years/$20-25M.
Originally posted by andes14:
I'd give Rogers 3 years/$20-25M.

I think he would lol @ that offer. He's 2nd team all-pro and would command a 5 year $45 million in the open market. Now, whether or not it's a wise investment, is another story.
Here are my thoughts on Carlos:

Honestly, from the get go I think he is true to his word. He's a very down to earth guy who knows the game and this league. I believe he fully wants to come back now the problem is.... Carlos is a bit older and he is slowing. Brown has become our best CB (believe it or not). Carlos got 6 picks this year but he gave up a lot of yardage. Maybe not like Nate but he has similar skills to him. I think he will decline soon and what I am worried about is if he doesn't get the picks people will turn on him if he is still giving up yards. Hard to believe he can match the 6 picks again next season. So if he starts giving up yardage but drops picks people will get really angry especially if we give him way too much. I am not just referring to the Giants game because he looked like he was being cautious due to footing and that's why they took him off Cruz. All year long he's been put on the bigger (slightly slower) wrs where Brown and Culliver have been put on the #1's and the faster WRs. Brown especially and Culliver are both faster.

So I look for a FAIR deal.... maybe 3-4 years. Any longer than that it should be backloaded because he probably won't be around after 5 years. Heck... I would say 3 is the right number. As for price I would pay him around 16-20 million for 3 years and like 20-22 million for 4. He will probably be #2 next year and eventually be a 3. So as much as I like the guy I hope he told his agent to be fair if he wants to be back here. We should have the leverage. Again, I like him as a player and person but he is in no position to hold us hostage. If he does he's gone, Brown is 1, Culliver is 2 and Brock is 3 and we use a high pick probably on another CB. We also have Curtis Holcomb coming back from injury. The guy was a 4 year captain so I am sure the team will like his leadership ability.

Let me add Carlos has enough money. He was the 9th overall pick. He's been on a losing team for many years (the redskins). He could take more money and be on a losing team again but it's clear that's not what he wants. He's at the point where he would rather win/have a SB ring than get rich and collect stats.