There are 192 users in the forums

Who Have We Lost That Can't Be Replaced?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Baas- Replaceable
Goldson-Replaceable
T.K.O- Replaceable
Nate Clements-Replaceable

We really haven't lost any major pieces. People forget that this "exact" team has had a losing record the past 3 years. It's time to get rid of some lose ends, and we have done just that. Now I would classify all these players above average, but very replaceable. By replaceable I mean we should be able to find some FA's to at least plug in these wholes without spending 10 million a year. Guy's that are "football players" and can come in and contribute without hefty contracts.

I could be totally off base, but just cause we have lost a decent amount of players, doesn't mean we have lost a tremendous amount of talent. This is the NFL talent is everywhere. This is a new coaching staff. That sais it has a plan. Maybe their plan is to not go out and spend money on one phenomenal player, but get a lot of pieces to start to put this puzzle together.

Again this team has had nothing but a losing record in the past. IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE. It may hurt us to get rid of some of these guys in the short term but in the long term I feel it will benefit us. The more I think about this the more I think it makes sense.

Spot the f**k on my brother! Well said!
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Glenn Coffee
Originally posted by ZL1vette:
Bill Walsh GM
Eddie Debartolo owner
John McVay president of football operations

Replace these guys and the talent on the field will follow.
This is the beginning of the Niners becoming Harbaugh's team. The players we're losing aren't pro bowlers, and will probably get overpaid to leave. With the exception of Franklin, they're not at the top of the free agent lists.

But...there doesn't seem to be any heir apparents to their roles. Losing Baas is going to hurt when Rachal was already struggling at RG. Kreutz was great when he was younger but he might be on the down side of his career, which is why the Bears are cheaping him out. Franklin might have a couple good years left and maybe Soap and RJF can hold the fort. Lawson is a pretty good OLB for the first couple of downs, but he isn't special either.

The thing that worries most is the secondary. Spencer might not be starter material and the safeties are really suspect without Goldson. Smith won't even sniff a sack if everyone downfield is open.
pretty much anyone who isn't an UDFA.
The question is not who is replacbale, it is are we gonna sign replacemnets at all? Thats the question.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Derek23:
The question is not who is replacbale, it is are we gonna sign replacemnets at all? Thats the question.

That's a good point. And I defiantly agree. It's kind of frustrating that we haven't really made any significant moves yet. But it's still early. I'm going to give this staff the benefit of the doubt til at least pre-season.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
They are replaceable, yet we aren't replacing them

We will probably lose Franklin and Lawson too. Franklin will be a big loss i think. So will Lawson

Unfortunately, I think this is the most true.

We are losing players, but we don't have depth or promising players that will take their spots.

I'd like to be surprised, though.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
Baas- Replaceable
Goldson-Replaceable
T.K.O- Replaceable

We really haven't lost any major pieces. People forget that this "exact" team has had a losing record the past 3 years. It's time to get rid of some lose ends, and we have done just that. Now I would classify all these players above average, but very replaceable. By replaceable I mean we should be able to find some FA's to at least plug in these wholes without spending 10 million a year. Guy's that are "football players" and can come in and contribute without hefty contracts.

I could be totally off base, but just cause we have lost a decent amount of players, doesn't mean we have lost a tremendous amount of talent. This is the NFL talent is everywhere. This is a new coaching staff. That sais it has a plan. Maybe their plan is to not go out and spend money on one phenomenal player, but get a lot of pieces to start to put this puzzle together.

Again this team has had nothing but a losing record in the past. IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE. It may hurt us to get rid of some of these guys in the short term but in the long term I feel it will benefit us. The more I think about this the more I think it makes sense.

Who is replacing Baas? Big question there.

No #1 CB with Nate gone. Big question there.

LOL at #1 CB with nate gone. The niners haven't had a number 1 CB in a loooong time. Nate sucks thank god he's gone.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Eddie D !!!!!

Good post. Everyone keeps on b***hing on how haven't made the playoffs in 10 years almost, but they want to hang to the same players that couldn't get use there. It's time for a new start, with new talent, with a real coach. The only person I would hate to loose is Franklin, and I doubt that will happen.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Good post. Everyone keeps on b***hing on how haven't made the playoffs in 10 years almost, but they want to hang to the same players that couldn't get use there. It's time for a new start, with new talent, with a real coach. The only person I would hate to loose is Franklin, and I doubt that will happen.

You doubt we are losing Franklin? I haven't heard anything about the Niners trying to re-sign him. Although I haven't heard anything about other teams trying to sign him either. Same goes for Goldson.
Originally posted by rob28:
Baas- Replaceable
Goldson-Replaceable
T.K.O- Replaceable

LOL at #1 CB with nate gone. The niners haven't had a number 1 CB in a loooong time. Nate sucks thank god he's gone.

he wasnt no where near as good as good as how much he was making, but he still was a decent cb that woulda helped us
Baas- Replaceable
Goldson-Replaceable
T.K.O- Replaceable

Isn't Wragge replacing Baas? I thought that if Baas returned this year, Wragge was gone. They are not identical, but very similar, and Wragge is a seven year vet with experience starting at center. I don't know what the knock is on him, he's 6'4", 310 lbs and strong. Wragge at C and Snyder at RG and suddenly that OL looks pretty solid, to me.

Nothing personal, but glad to see Nate gone. Don't want another CB like him (some over the hill vet with more ego than game) signed to replace him. Let's go with young guys who can turn and run with opposing WRs, give them some help with improved pass rush and some help over the top from the safeties, and see if that's not an improvement over Nate "10 yard cushion" Clements. IMHO.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Jul 31, 2011 at 12:03:47 ]
Franklin and Lawson. Soap isnt a great replacement for Franklin hes only cheaper. Lawsons speed will be sorely missed because without him we have 0 speed at OLB. Teams will kill us with screens on both sides now. Haralson will continue to get abused and the rookie as well. If McDonald falls apart we will have a huge hole at LDE. Things are looking uglier at the secondary and we will miss Clements most of all. There is no replacement for him left in FA or on the roster.
Share 49ersWebzone