LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:
At this point I think Sing would've been a better GM in free agency.

He would have addressed our DB needs.
No big name free agent came to the West Coast, except for Sidney Rice. It is not only a 49er issue, big time free agents would rather play on the East Coast or close to it than play on the West Coast.
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
No big name free agent came to the West Coast, except for Sidney Rice. It is not only a 49er issue, big time free agents would rather play on the East Coast or close to it than play on the West Coast.

Arizona- Kevin Kolb, Todd Heap, courting Braylon Edwards
St. Louis (although not West Coast)- Mike Sims Walker

The West Coast argument is a weak one at best.

umm..kinda ture...Plexico didn't even make it to the bay...waiting to board a plane in L.A to come to the bay when Plexico got a call from Rex and turned around and headed back to N.Y.

I think he even tweeted saying headed back to the east coast....
  • obx49
  • Veteran
He hedged his bets on bringing back Alex Smith and now free agents want nothing do to with us. Huge mistake and now he has to live with it...and so do we.
Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:
At this point I think Sing would've been a better GM in free agency.

he would be too busy looking at film
I never thought after the long gone days of eddie d, that i would ever see the 9ners become tire kickers.. i see why no FA's wants to come here, unless its with a rape contract ..Balkke, if ur "plan" works, i will be 1st to eat my share of crow.. And the webzone can quote me on that.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Kevin Kolb was a trade

Todd Heap is not a "big name"...just big on concussions...

Mike Sims Walker...well umm the Jags didn't even want him...
  • dj43

eh, Kolb was a trade to a desperate team that was willing to pay Philly's very high price.

I wouldn't say Heap was a big time guy.

Edwards has been the very picture of inconsistency his entire career.

I wouldn't say it is a major consideration, though, more an issue of going where a player thinks he can start and have a chance to go into the playoffs. The NFC West has not been that place although Seattle got some cred last year.
Some people are company men through and through rationalizing every move/non move the front office makes. These fans are the reason why we have not made the playoffs since 2002.

Baalke so far has looked bad no matter how you slice it. We have some huge needs that have not been addressed...add to that the holes that have been created via crabs injury and baas leaving. You can't replace starting positions with castoffs and udfa's.

If players don't want to sign here:
a) quit, you're not cut out to be a gm.
b) make a trade
c) draft players who can start now and not projects

were are literally tanking. Slap in the face to fans. Good luck getting that stadium

• Veteran
Baalke deserves an" A+" for having a plan." F" for not executing it. This is a rudderless ship.

KK was traded, Heap sucks, courting is not moving and StL is not West Coast.
Originally posted by dj43:
For those who have been giving Baalke a low rating; go read the analysis on ESPN that compared the price teams paid for FAs in the past with their actual performance on the field. The obvious conclusion is that there have been FAR more cases of players like Nate Clements who received huge cash only to return low value.

I don't know Baalke but from what I can see, he realized that the top FAs were not going to be attracted to a team with a 10 year losing streak unless the money was outrageously high. Hence he and Harbaugh set a plan to spend this year developing the tons of undeveloped athletes on this team and see how they do for a year, rather than tear up the salary structure for some guys who may not be worth it.[/quote]

As much as I hate to hear this as a season ticket holder, it probably makes the most sense. However, we definetly need some serious DB help, just so we can stay in games. There is no excuse for not getting a legit corner and letting Clements go. Any commodity's worth is determined by scarcity of resource and importance. Clements is very important to a team with no DBs. We should have kept him until another plan was developed.
Originally posted by dj43:

eh, Kolb was a trade to a desperate team that was willing to pay Philly's very high price.

I wouldn't say Heap was a big time guy.

Edwards has been the very picture of inconsistency his entire career.

I wouldn't say it is a major consideration, though, more an issue of going where a player thinks he can start and have a chance to go into the playoffs. The NFC West has not been that place although Seattle got some cred last year.

I don't necessarily buy into the chance to go to the playoffs or win a title argument, if that was the case everyone would be leaving money on the table and only Santonio Holmes did.
Anytime that a GM actually makes his team WORSE year over year than it is a dismal failure! If there was a grade worse than F he'd get it. He's been so bad that he may not even be aware Free Agency has started. Arizona and Seatle have both made significant strides forward. even the Rams are likely a better team now than at the end of last year. The Niners.... not so much...

Publicly stating that you "have a plan" but then waiting until all your own promising players are gone, signing only back ups and watching everyone else in the division get better, is ridiculous. I'd much rather have had Balke come out and say that this would be a rebuilding year, there was no money for FA's and that we'd focus on depth rather than marquis players. At least then my hopes wouldn't get crushed (again) this year.
Share 49ersWebzone