There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

F- Man this is bad. I remember being fed a similar line of BS when then 9ers were cutting all their best players in the early 2000's. I'm not up for another 5 years of rebuilding.... If this is the plan, I hope the Yorks pay for it in loss of revinue, stadium, what ever. They don't deserve to be franchise owners. No person's job in the FO should be safe either. Ownership/ FO are not putting together a quality product that the SF fan base deserves....
At this point I think Sing would've been a better GM in free agency.
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
None of the above, he has been trying, UFAs just do not want anything to do with SF.

Agreed! Plus look ar 90% of the league they are doing exactly what we are doing. Plus the whole lockout but us behind, but I actually think he has done a great job so far.
Git rid of clements who was overpaid & he's not that good. Spikes is old and comes with a Hugh price tag. Same goes for the others.
Its too obvious that the high end FA's don't want to play for a rebuilding team, but were not going to over pay for guys and were going to build this team through the draft
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He threw in all his chips on Asomugha, and now is like a deer in headlights. "He didn't sign with us????"

The Niners had the draft and free agency to solve the greatest problem facing this team: covering wide receivers. In the end, the Cardinals get Patrick Peterson, the Eagles, Nnamdi Asomugha, the Texans, Johnathan Joseph, the Ravens, Chris Carr, the Steelers, Ike Taylor, the Jets, Antonio Cromartie, and the 49ers......Chris Culliver, a converted safety.

It sure should be fun to watch Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards and Todd Heap and Kevin Kolb carve up our secondary in 2011. It's OK. We've got Antwan Applewhite and Larry Grant.

So, what has been our biggest signing: Ray McDonald to a $20 million contract; and he will probably end up sitting on the bench if Franklin returns. Genius!!!!

Goldson is basically begging us to re-sign him, and when we finally do, some board members will scream, "Trent is a success", as if he had to do any heavy lifting.

"Be patient"! We have a "plan".

P.S. Jeff Kaplan's article on the home page, in discussing the epic disaster we are witnessing, was brilliant. Nice work!!

By the way, are we still going to the playoffs, Jed? Looks like we are making a big push to get there.

This contract shows how inexperienced the Nienrs front office really is. You pay starter money top guys who have earned the right to start. And not guys who are given the starting spot b/c another player leaves. He has to earn it. Instead the Niners payed him before he earned it. Same thing happened with Parys. They paid him before he earned it.

Dam shame the cards in one off season got Kolb more help than we have given Smith in 6 years.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
For those who have been giving Baalke a low rating; go read the analysis on ESPN that compared the price teams paid for FAs in the past with their actual performance on the field. The obvious conclusion is that there have been FAR more cases of players like Nate Clements who received huge cash only to return low value.

I don't know Baalke but from what I can see, he realized that the top FAs were not going to be attracted to a team with a 10 year losing streak unless the money was outrageously high. Hence he and Harbaugh set a plan to spend this year developing the tons of undeveloped athletes on this team and see how they do for a year, rather than tear up the salary structure for some guys who may not be worth it.
Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:

He would have addressed our DB needs.
No big name free agent came to the West Coast, except for Sidney Rice. It is not only a 49er issue, big time free agents would rather play on the East Coast or close to it than play on the West Coast.
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
No big name free agent came to the West Coast, except for Sidney Rice. It is not only a 49er issue, big time free agents would rather play on the East Coast or close to it than play on the West Coast.

Arizona- Kevin Kolb, Todd Heap, courting Braylon Edwards
St. Louis (although not West Coast)- Mike Sims Walker

The West Coast argument is a weak one at best.

umm..kinda ture...Plexico didn't even make it to the bay...waiting to board a plane in L.A to come to the bay when Plexico got a call from Rex and turned around and headed back to N.Y.

I think he even tweeted saying headed back to the east coast....
  • obx49
  • Veteran
He hedged his bets on bringing back Alex Smith and now free agents want nothing do to with us. Huge mistake and now he has to live with it...and so do we.
Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:

he would be too busy looking at film
I never thought after the long gone days of eddie d, that i would ever see the 9ners become tire kickers.. i see why no FA's wants to come here, unless its with a rape contract ..Balkke, if ur "plan" works, i will be 1st to eat my share of crow.. And the webzone can quote me on that.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Kevin Kolb was a trade

Todd Heap is not a "big name"...just big on concussions...

Mike Sims Walker...well umm the Jags didn't even want him...
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

eh, Kolb was a trade to a desperate team that was willing to pay Philly's very high price.

I wouldn't say Heap was a big time guy.

Edwards has been the very picture of inconsistency his entire career.

I wouldn't say it is a major consideration, though, more an issue of going where a player thinks he can start and have a chance to go into the playoffs. The NFC West has not been that place although Seattle got some cred last year.
Some people are company men through and through rationalizing every move/non move the front office makes. These fans are the reason why we have not made the playoffs since 2002.

Baalke so far has looked bad no matter how you slice it. We have some huge needs that have not been addressed...add to that the holes that have been created via crabs injury and baas leaving. You can't replace starting positions with castoffs and udfa's.

If players don't want to sign here:
a) quit, you're not cut out to be a gm.
b) make a trade
c) draft players who can start now and not projects

were are literally tanking. Slap in the face to fans. Good luck getting that stadium