LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 152 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

needs to have a better draft this year, we have a lot of holes that cant be filled with redshirt players
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Props
Terry Donohue his isn't! I'm proud of my boy from the Badger State!
Never in my wildest dreams did I think we could get 2 second rounders for Alex, mostly because it was pretty obvious we would release him. This further solidifies in my mind that Baalke is one of the best GM's in the business right now.

Mad props.
Dilfer called him "The best GM around and no one is a close second"

I thought this was a new thread. Wondered how so many could be so negative.

I will go on record as saying I have a full on "Man Crush" for Baalke (and Harbaugh and most in the FO)
[ Edited by OldJoe on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Mookster:
From SI coloumn on ESPN website:

San Francisco 49ers

Key additions: Alex Smith (re-signed), Ray McDonald (re-signed), Carlos Rogers, Madieu Williams, David Akers, Jonathan Goodwin
Key losses: Aubrayo Franklin, Nate Clements, Manny Lawson, Eric Heitmann

Analysis: Overall, this is the most perplexing team to me in free agency -- I really have no idea why the front office did next to nothing to improve the team. Originally, I assumed that the 49ers were handcuffed financially while they heavily pursued Asomugha. But after Asomugha went to Philadelphia, the 49ers remained catatonic. Smith's return to San Francisco was the worst-kept secret in free agency. Although I don't disagree with bringing Smith back under these circumstances, I hardly consider it a great signing. Goodwin is a wide-bodied anchor who could be a stabilizing force in the middle of San Francisco's young line, but he isn't a high end starter. I am very high on McDonald, though. He can get after the quarterback, moves very well for a 3-4 defensive end and is probably only improving. That said, this is a team that has a wealth of needs, especially at wide receiver and in the secondary.

The 49ers could have done worse than adding Rogers as a Plan B (or Plan C) option instead of Asomugha, but I'm not confident that their secondary is even as good as it was last year. With Michael Crabtree out with another injury, it boggles my mind that the 49ers didn't see a need to bring in someone with pedigree at this position as they try to construct a passing game. San Francisco had better be confident that coach Jim Harbaugh is worth all that money it is paying him, because it hasn't given its first-year head coach much to work with.

Grade: D-
Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com. Follow Matt Williamson on Twitter @WilliamsonNFL

an interesting perspective from a neutral 3rd party......

[ Edited by Mookster on Aug 4, 2011 at 12:46:50 ]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Matt Williamson can eat a...........................................

That's hilarious to read with some perspective
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Dilfer called him "The best GM around and no one is a close second"

I thought this was a new thread. Wondered how so many could be so negative.

I will go on record as saying I have a full on "Man Crush" for Baalke (and Harbaugh and most in the FO)

That pretty much sums it up.
Baalke gonna play the draft / FA like Charlie Daniels plays a fiddle
i give them all thee credit.
Where are all those bozos who said they didn't want Baalke? They wanted an EXPERIENCED guy. Like a Polian-type. Well what do you think now?
A bunch of these Yahoos jump on here and don't eat the crow later when its nice, hot, served up and crunkled. I'm not going to say I knew it all along,
but I certainly wasn't as skeptical as alot of people when he was first hired. Good on Trent! And good on Harbaugh too who had a good amount of doubters
as well. That combination means more SuperBowls.

Baalke at this year's draft:

Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Where are all those bozos who said they didn't want Baalke? They wanted an EXPERIENCED guy. Like a Polian-type. Well what do you think now?
A bunch of these Yahoos jump on here and don't eat the crow later when its nice, hot, served up and crunkled. I'm not going to say I knew it all along,
but I certainly wasn't as skeptical as alot of people when he was first hired. Good on Trent! And good on Harbaugh too who had a good amount of doubters
as well. That combination means more SuperBowls.

I admit I wanted an experienced hand in the building, but I never had a problem with Trent Baalke being appointed GM. I've been a part of terrible organizations and I know for certain, it doesn't mean every single individual in the organization is bad. It's just a reflection of the leadership. So although Baalke has been with us since 2005 I believe, he didn't shine or seem like all that much until we got our organization in order. In this case, it was TB that did it.
He's DEFINITELY the Man!

He has my respect and appreciation.
Bump

Almost made it a year
[ Edited by Allx9er on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone