There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
1 WINNING SEASON :)

A house starts with one brick. Being a successful franchise starts with one winning season.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He threw in all his chips on Asomugha, and now is like a deer in headlights. "He didn't sign with us????"

The Niners had the draft and free agency to solve the greatest problem facing this team: covering wide receivers. In the end, the Cardinals get Patrick Peterson, the Eagles, Nnamdi Asomugha, the Texans, Johnathan Joseph, the Ravens, Chris Carr, the Steelers, Ike Taylor, the Jets, Antonio Cromartie, and the 49ers......Chris Culliver, a converted safety.

It sure should be fun to watch Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards and Todd Heap and Kevin Kolb carve up our secondary in 2011. It's OK. We've got Antwan Applewhite and Larry Grant.

So, what has been our biggest signing: Ray McDonald to a $20 million contract; and he will probably end up sitting on the bench if Franklin returns. Genius!!!!

Goldson is basically begging us to re-sign him, and when we finally do, some board members will scream, "Trent is a success", as if he had to do any heavy lifting.

"Be patient"! We have a "plan".

P.S. Jeff Kaplan's article on the home page, in discussing the epic disaster we are witnessing, was brilliant. Nice work!!

By the way, are we still going to the playoffs, Jed? Looks like we are making a big push to get there.

Oh MadDog
The only concerns I had with the draft was that we didn't draft Fleener over Jenkins (we saw what Graham did against us with the Saints); he is a guy who I felt could come in paired with VD and dominate the middle of the field, be key on 3rd downs and be an ideal target in the RZ. I knew we'd draft a RB high but felt LMJ is almost identical to Hunter and felt we didn't use Hunter enough like a Sproles last year. He was VERY successful every time he touched the ball and had a great skill set (including blitz pick up). But I knew with Gore, we'd get one high and perhaps these two are our future RB's. The other concern was that if we planned to have Boone transition to RG, why not draft a T or pick one up in FA? On this team in particular, injuries are inevitable esp. for Staley. We also didn't draft a two-gapper NT (not as big of an issue) but RJF struggled when Sopoaga was out and Williams is an unknown.

We'll see how it all pans out but the rest of the off season moves and draft were fantastic.
Originally posted by NCommand:
The only concerns I had with the draft was that we didn't draft Fleener over Jenkins (we saw what Graham did against us with the Saints); he is a guy who I felt could come in paired with VD and dominate the middle of the field, be key on 3rd downs and be an ideal target in the RZ. I knew we'd draft a RB high but felt LMJ is almost identical to Hunter and felt we didn't use Hunter enough like a Sproles last year. He was VERY successful every time he touched the ball and had a great skill set (including blitz pick up). But I knew with Gore, we'd get one high and perhaps these two are our future RB's. The other concern was that if we planned to have Boone transition to RG, why not draft a T or pick one up in FA? On this team in particular, injuries are inevitable esp. for Staley. We also didn't draft a two-gapper NT (not as big of an issue) but RJF struggled when Sopoaga was out and Williams is an unknown.

We'll see how it all pans out but the rest of the off season moves and draft were fantastic.

Wanted Fleener for all of those reasons, but oh well. LMJ surprised me as a bit redundant, because as you said, similar skills to Hunter.

Not gonna get into the OL thing again... also disagree about RJF struggling. Most beatwriters stated that RJF filled in very well for Sopo and from my many viewings, I agree with them.

I share those concerns as well. I really wanted Fleener for the reasons you suggest and was surprised by the selection of Jenkins. LMJ also was a surprise at first, but his production in college might suggest that he was the BPA.

I disagree about Boone tho. I don't believe they initially considered him for a switch to RG. I believe they had faith, and still have faith, in Kilgore. Boone himself is responsible for his switch to RG, imho. He just wants on the field, and when he came forward the coaches thought, "Why not?" Whether he wins the starter's role is yet to be determined.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Oh MadDog

Lol

This has got to be the post with the most WRONG statements ever. Seriously. The whole thing. Line by line.
Opinions are like a*****es, Everybody has one....
What Trent has been able to accomplish is incredible. Every player he's drafted has been serviceable maybe besides Ronald Johnson, but I'm hearing our wr's coach pushed for us to draft him. Looks like we are set for about 10 years with a great GM/HC combo.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Wanted Fleener for all of those reasons, but oh well. LMJ surprised me as a bit redundant, because as you said, similar skills to Hunter.

Not gonna get into the OL thing again... also disagree about RJF struggling. Most beatwriters stated that RJF filled in very well for Sopo and from my many viewings, I agree with them.

LOL, no worries. And the "plan" for the OL is barely in phase 1, if that. Actually, RJF was getting pushed around a bit and I believe reading he got called out a bit to step up at NT. He worked hard and seemed to get better and he esp. played well at DE for McDonald in the run game. But he's a one-gapper and I don't know if I feel comfortable fully with him starting at NT if Sopoaga goes down. Can Iupati play both ways? LOL
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

I share those concerns as well. I really wanted Fleener for the reasons you suggest and was surprised by the selection of Jenkins. LMJ also was a surprise at first, but his production in college might suggest that he was the BPA.

I disagree about Boone tho. I don't believe they initially considered him for a switch to RG. I believe they had faith, and still have faith, in Kilgore. Boone himself is responsible for his switch to RG, imho. He just wants on the field, and when he came forward the coaches thought, "Why not?" Whether he wins the starter's role is yet to be determined.

Yeah, I still had no issues with drafting LMJ but was, like you, more surprised given we already had a similar back...but re: playmakers, we seem to be looking for smaller, quicker and faster guys and let's face it, the guy i s dynamic so he and Hunter could end up being our immediate future too and be very dynamic together.

I think you are totally correct about this. I think the coaches felt very comfortable knowing Boone was our swing T and could even start, if needed, at LT which is critical to any offense, esp. ours. And then yeah, something happened and they thought to give it a go. I agree, why not. He gets the veteran courtesy tryout (even outside the original plan) and if he wins it AND shows more upside than Kilgore/Looney, more power to him! Truly. It's not a bad problem to have! But like you noted, we may still end up being the swing T and Kilgore/Looney starting at RG. And we still may end up picking up a veteran FA T too for insurance reasons or we already feel comfortable with Person there (unlikely).
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
I believe the original saying is: "Opinions are like noses, everyone has one and they all smell."

Then, of course, some brilliant neanderthal changed it to the more crass, but less clever saying to which you refer.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I believe the original saying is: "Opinions are like noses, everyone has one and they all smell."

Then, of course, some brilliant neanderthal changed it to the more crass, but less clever saying to which you refer.

Opinions are like mad dogs. They bark when they're wrong and bark when they're right.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He threw in all his chips on Asomugha, and now is like a deer in headlights. "He didn't sign with us????"

The Niners had the draft and free agency to solve the greatest problem facing this team: covering wide receivers. In the end, the Cardinals get Patrick Peterson, the Eagles, Nnamdi Asomugha, the Texans, Johnathan Joseph, the Ravens, Chris Carr, the Steelers, Ike Taylor, the Jets, Antonio Cromartie, and the 49ers......Chris Culliver, a converted safety.

It sure should be fun to watch Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards and Todd Heap and Kevin Kolb carve up our secondary in 2011. It's OK. We've got Antwan Applewhite and Larry Grant.

So, what has been our biggest signing: Ray McDonald to a $20 million contract; and he will probably end up sitting on the bench if Franklin returns. Genius!!!!

Goldson is basically begging us to re-sign him, and when we finally do, some board members will scream, "Trent is a success", as if he had to do any heavy lifting.

"Be patient"! We have a "plan".

P.S. Jeff Kaplan's article on the home page, in discussing the epic disaster we are witnessing, was brilliant. Nice work!!

By the way, are we still going to the playoffs, Jed? Looks like we are making a big push to get there.

Oh MadDog

I wish he would own up to these things.
I really appreciate MD's opinions even if I don't agree.

As far as his above comment/predictions go - I see a lot of frustration as many of us have felt over the years. So was he wrong - absolutely! So what!

This is a great example of why we are in the Zone and people like Baalke are GM's.

And most of them stink....