There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Seriously, i wouldn't waste any picks on Lloyd, the fool has no YAC. All the highlights i've seen so far are where he goes down right after he catched the ball. I rather go after Reggie Wayne instead.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
We seems to have a difference of opinion on the value of a 6th round pick, which I see as very hit or miss. By contrast, I would hold onto 2nd and 3rd round picks like my firstborn son. I actually do think it's worth it for 10 games (you keep forgetting the playoffs) of production from a proven WR, the weakest part of our game right now.

i disagree with this! niners are known for blowing our 2nd rounder on garbage... example taylor mays. also our late round picks have been awesome key roll players for us.
Originally posted by WildBill:
It's not about fixing something; it's about adding proven depth. We could have bolstered our WR group with Lloyd for a 6th rounder. We could have added Curry as young talented LB depth for what, a 4th?

Not saying it's a huge deal, but I hope the Niners are at least out there today plugged into what certain teams are trying to unload.

Curry is not a special teams ace, so he is not valuable. Plus if he was any good, he wouldn't have been let go. Lloyd was once a niner, have you forgoten what a diva he was and why he was let go. We already have a diva in Crabtree. We don't need a divisive person. Lloyd's contract expires at the end of this year and we will have many proven starters that we will need to resign also. Plus, you look at Edwards, I think the JH wants big strong receivers who can also block. Lloyd is not much of a blocker.

Again you get people who fit your program and not get people just because they may have talent-has to be both.

I agree with what you say about Lloyd. he was the quintessential "diva". Really glad that the team did not get him.

I disagree about Crabtree. He is not a "diva". I think that he is more misunderstood. He is the quiet type and shies away from the media - it makes him seem aloof and stand-offish. He has his team-mates backs though and is not "soft". He could be more of a play-maker if he didn't have an injury-prone foot.
What if the Baalke had sent two first rounders for Carson. Would you be mad.
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by JREED23:
Asante Samuel is available, NFL.com says they are looking for players not picks and they are hurting at LB and Dline. I Don't want to give up anyone we have that they might be interested in - Bowman, J. Smith, Aldon Smith... nope.

Mathis is interesting, he'd be an upgrade over McDonald if we ran a 4-3, but we don't and I don't like his size in our 3-4 scheme.

Depth in the secondary is a premium. I would do it.

Haralson and Spencer for Samuel??

Spencer can still ball. Haralson is great depth. Why would you ever...?!?!
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 5280High:
We tried trading for Lloyd but he told the Broncos he didnt want to come here

Lloyd doesnt fit this scheme. He is a run to the zone and wait receiver, not the physical presence we want. Great hands, but why waste a 6th round pick for a #3 receiver for 10 games. He is a free agent at the end of the season and with the way this team has been nailing late round picks lately, better off keeping the pick.

Remember we are still building a foundation here, not adding to a championship team. Building for the future does not mean trading draft picks for 10 games of production if he can even pick the offense up fast enough to start after the bye. As a fan I'm not interested in a one year wonder, I want the niners to have a competitive team year in and year out, trading away picks is the opposite of what we should be doing.

We actually offered the Broncos a better package of picks then the Rams gave up but like I said Lloyd told the Broncos he didnt want to come here.

I dont like LLoyd so it doenst bother me none

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm curious where you are learning Lloyd vetoed the Niners. I definitely think we are fine without him, but I think the trade would have helped us.

Someone posted it in the lloyd thread, i dont feel like searching for it

BLloyd is a FA at the end of the season. he wanted to go to a team where he would be the #1 to showcase his talents. he knew that BE was coming back and he'd only be a #3 here at best.

Yep, pretty clear when you decide to go to a winless team instead of one 5-1 that you have a history with. Doesn't want to win, just wants to put up numbers.
Asante Samuel is available, NFL.com says they are looking for players not picks and they are hurting at LB and Dline. I Don't want to give up anyone we have that they might be interested in - Bowman, J. Smith, Aldon Smith... nope.

Mathis is interesting, he'd be an upgrade over McDonald if we ran a 4-3, but we don't and I don't like his size in our 3-4 scheme.

well yeah, I'd do that, but i doubt they even consider it
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Spencer can still ball. Haralson is great depth. Why would you ever...?!?!

When he gets on the field. Samuel would instantly become out no. 2 and improve our entire D.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Walker is already headed back to Jacksonville.

Weak...That was fast.
Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Walker is already headed back to Jacksonville.

Weak...That was fast.

I'd like to think that if Baalke really wanted him, we would have had him.
I'd like to think that if Baalke really wanted him, we would have had him.

Perhaps, but then again Jax would probably be his #1 destination. I just get uneasy thinking about the lack of our WR depth behind Braylon and Crabtree especially knowing how Crabs has been often bothered by SOME type of injury and the fact that Braylon's still coming off knee surgery.

Seeing Ginn run out of bounds for 9 yards on the 2nd and 10 got me furious.
damn i wanted to add a wr
Perhaps, but then again Jax would probably be his #1 destination. I just get uneasy thinking about the lack of our WR depth behind Braylon and Crabtree especially knowing how Crabs has been often bothered by SOME type of injury and the fact that Braylon's still coming off knee surgery.

+1

The lack of depth actually doesn't bother me right now. We really haven't been a big downfield team, and when we do go more than 20 yards it is usually because Vernon or Delanie have a mismatch. This Bye week is a perfect time for Smith and Crabtree to work on their chemistry and Kyle Williams will become more and more a part of this offense. There's no need to shake up the mentality of this team by grabbing at any guy that comes available. Look at all the veterans with big names that were worked out: T.J. Who's-Your-Momma, Finneran, Chambers, but they still went with a young no-name. Why? Because desire and hustle is what this team thrives no, not ego and name recognition. Braylon will be coming back soon, Crabtree seems healthy for now, Ginn might not be a great receiver but he can still cause some damage with the quick hand-off, Kyle Williams is still waiting in the wings.... I feel fine with that group.
I guess we didn't trade. Just a minor clarification on this thread: I didn't particularly want us to trade for Lloyd or Curry. I just threw them out there as the first two I could think of showing that, in the NFL, the trade value of players is always shockingly low around this time.

Another example: Ronnie Brown for a 2013 7th round pick. Again, not a player I wanted on the Niners, but I do hope Baalke was out there inquiring about other potential steals around the league.