There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Something tells me Baalke is 20 steps ahead of us when it comes to extending,trading, and drafting players. Lets just sit back and watch him work his magic because thus far he has been doing a fantastic job.
in 1981 walsh made the niners a super bowl team by trading for fred dean

like this years teaam thge 1981 team was young and surprising...they werent "broke" but adding the dimension of a pass rusher made them an elite team

i think niners could and should expend a pick, maybe in mid rds, for some receiver depth
Originally posted by hofer36:
in 1981 walsh made the niners a super bowl team by trading for fred dean

like this years teaam thge 1981 team was young and surprising...they werent "broke" but adding the dimension of a pass rusher made them an elite team

i think niners could and should expend a pick, maybe in mid rds, for some receiver depth

That was different. Dean was holding out. Gene Klein essentially gave Dean away for nothing and a bag of Lays potato chips. We got him for very little. That was a steal of a deal.

In today's world, a similar trade would be the Lions trading us Megatron for a sixth round pick and "future considerations."

The Raiders have plenty of wide receiving talent, but I don't see Hue Jackson doing us any favors before the trade deadline.
Asante Samuel is available, NFL.com says they are looking for players not picks and they are hurting at LB and Dline. I Don't want to give up anyone we have that they might be interested in - Bowman, J. Smith, Aldon Smith... nope.

Mathis is interesting, he'd be an upgrade over McDonald if we ran a 4-3, but we don't and I don't like his size in our 3-4 scheme.
Originally posted by JREED23:
Asante Samuel is available, NFL.com says they are looking for players not picks and they are hurting at LB and Dline. I Don't want to give up anyone we have that they might be interested in - Bowman, J. Smith, Aldon Smith... nope.

Mathis is interesting, he'd be an upgrade over McDonald if we ran a 4-3, but we don't and I don't like his size in our 3-4 scheme.

Depth in the secondary is a premium. I would do it.
Originally posted by zillabeast:

Haralson and Spencer for Samuel??
Cutt Brett Swain and go after Mike Sims-Walker. Not sure why he fell out of favor so fast in St. Louis, but he's a more reliable receiver than Tedd Ginn, Kyle Williams, etc.
Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:
Cutt Brett Swain and go after Mike Sims-Walker. Not sure why he fell out of favor so fast in St. Louis, but he's a more reliable receiver than Tedd Ginn, Kyle Williams, etc.

Walker is already headed back to Jacksonville.
Originally posted by sean610:
Even though I have dreamt the last few nights about picking up a Brandon Marshall or Dwayne Bowe in a trade either one of those guys would be beast on our offense. But like a few said I think Baalke has to resist temptation unless there is something too good to pass up. Add in that we still dont know how good Braylon will be no need to lose picks in April. I think alot of folks forget the numbers Braylon put up when he actuallly had decent QB play from Derrick Anderson in Cleveland.

I think Baalke would set up and entertain a D. Bowe or B. Marshall trade. They are big, block well, catch well, and don't complain. I think Harbaalke are constantly looking for players, It will be interesting to see what they do during the bye week to shore up the OLBs if Harolson has significantly hurt his hamstring.

I think they did not get too serious about Lloyd is because of the reason Denver wants to get rid of him and he is not the best blocker in our style of run game. On the other hand getting Edwards back is ideal, great hands, great blocker, and good attittude.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for WildBill.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
It's not about fixing something; it's about adding proven depth. We could have bolstered our WR group with Lloyd for a 6th rounder. We could have added Curry as young talented LB depth for what, a 4th?

Not saying it's a huge deal, but I hope the Niners are at least out there today plugged into what certain teams are trying to unload.

Curry is not a special teams ace, so he is not valuable. Plus if he was any good, he wouldn't have been let go. Lloyd was once a niner, have you forgoten what a diva he was and why he was let go. We already have a diva in Crabtree. We don't need a divisive person. Lloyd's contract expires at the end of this year and we will have many proven starters that we will need to resign also. Plus, you look at Edwards, I think the JH wants big strong receivers who can also block. Lloyd is not much of a blocker.

Again you get people who fit your program and not get people just because they may have talent-has to be both.
Lloyd wouldnt of made a difference.

One good season and all of a sudden he is an elite WR.

Curry is a bust. And who would he play over? Not Brooks, not Parys and def not over Aldon.
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

Haralson and Spencer for Samuel??
f**k the eagles, im not giving them anything of substance for someone they'll probably cut during the offseason or they can just continue to take his high cap hit which i doubt they do. i'll give them haralson and thats it, when healthy spencer has value to go against the bigger wrs.
Originally posted by Baldie:
With the way things are going right now for us....don't you think Baalke should try and resign or sign to long term deals to the one year players now? Maybe start negotiating deals for Morgan, Edwards, Rogers, Whitner, etc.? They are playing well now....and if we wait until the end of the season...they might go to other teams for more money. These players love that they are here why not start talking now to avoid the chance of losing them at the end of the season.

The defense is playing lights out and I think we need to keep that core together. It would be nice to keep our current core of WR's together as they are gelling well.
Donte Whitner was signed to a three year deal. Morgan is injured need to see how he comes back from his ankle injury. Rogers is number one, will wait towards the end of the season to see how Edwards plays. Plus we need to resign our LOLB.
Five minutes to go !!!!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Remember Baalke was at Washington when Lloyd played their and was still part of the FO when they got 2 picks for him after 2 horrific seasons with almost zero production. Baalke was more then likely blowing smoke trying to get the Rams to cough up a higher pick.