There are 230 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Reggie Wayne's name has come up as possibly being available. With Morgan being out, an Edwards, Crabtree, Wayne combo would be a pretty nice luxury.

I dont' know what his contract status is or what the Colts would want for compensation but it seems like an idea worth entertaining.
Originally posted by stunder49:
curry is a raider

lol, he was talking about when they traded him to the raiders! lol
Understand your point. Baakle seem to be doing pretty good w/ late round picks and Curry has proven he can't play in this league - so far. Lloyd is locker room poison and we're in first place. Go figure.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by 5280High:
We tried trading for Lloyd but he told the Broncos he didnt want to come here

Lloyd doesnt fit this scheme. He is a run to the zone and wait receiver, not the physical presence we want. Great hands, but why waste a 6th round pick for a #3 receiver for 10 games. He is a free agent at the end of the season and with the way this team has been nailing late round picks lately, better off keeping the pick.

Remember we are still building a foundation here, not adding to a championship team. Building for the future does not mean trading draft picks for 10 games of production if he can even pick the offense up fast enough to start after the bye. As a fan I'm not interested in a one year wonder, I want the niners to have a competitive team year in and year out, trading away picks is the opposite of what we should be doing.

We actually offered the Broncos a better package of picks then the Rams gave up but like I said Lloyd told the Broncos he didnt want to come here.

I dont like LLoyd so it doenst bother me none

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm curious where you are learning Lloyd vetoed the Niners. I definitely think we are fine without him, but I think the trade would have helped us.

Someone posted it in the lloyd thread, i dont feel like searching for it

i think sam tweeted it too
Wow, on the flip side, I wish we had someone to put on the block. Can't believe the Bungals are getting two firsts for Palmer after starting 4-2 with Dalton. What a luxury.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Reggie Wayne's name has come up as possibly being available. With Morgan being out, an Edwards, Crabtree, Wayne combo would be a pretty nice luxury.

I dont' know what his contract status is or what the Colts would want for compensation but it seems like an idea worth entertaining.

This would be a dream for a QB to look downfield and see those 3 along with VD and Dluv! Shet make it happen if the Colts are even considering letting him go.
Wayne is a perfect example...
Reggie Wayne is not available, Schefter said that the Colts should try and trade him and Mathis but then everybody ran with it like he was saying they were on the block when in reality he was just giving his opinion of trades that he thinks should happen

Lloyd doesnt fit this scheme. He is a run to the zone and wait receiver, not the physical presence we want. Great hands, but why waste a 6th round pick for a #3 receiver for 10 games. He is a free agent at the end of the season and with the way this team has been nailing late round picks lately, better off keeping the pick.

Remember we are still building a foundation here, not adding to a championship team. Building for the future does not mean trading draft picks for 10 games of production if he can even pick the offense up fast enough to start after the bye. As a fan I'm not interested in a one year wonder, I want the niners to have a competitive team year in and year out, trading away picks is the opposite of what we should be doing.

We seems to have a difference of opinion on the value of a 6th round pick, which I see as very hit or miss. By contrast, I would hold onto 2nd and 3rd round picks like my firstborn son. I actually do think it's worth it for 10 games (you keep forgetting the playoffs) of production from a proven WR, the weakest part of our game right now.

I think it's a case by case basis and in this instance the pick is more valuable. Lloyd would not start ahead Braylon or Crabs. We line up in 3 TE sets more often than 3 WR sets, but that may be due to personel, who knows. Lloyd isn't the instant starter type and doesnt thrive in power schemes. He is suited to a spread offense where he gets soft zones to work in. The second you stop sending 3-4 wr's down the field in routes he becomes no better than a solid #3 wr.

Looking at some of the previous 6th round picks to make the team you got Byham, Williams, Dixon, and Jones. Dixon's dancing has hurt his stock on this team but the rest of those guys appear to be solid contributors for the future. I would take another TE like Byham over Lloyd anyday of the week in this type of offense. As college athletes get better and better there is more value found in the later rounds, why trade that potential value for a WR with a history of attitude problems that would not be a starter and possibly never pick up the offense by the time his contract is up. I think it's great what we are doing this year, but Im against short term solutions.
Reggie Wayne is not available, Schefter said that the Colts should try and trade him and Mathis but then everybody ran with it like he was saying they were on the block when in reality he was just giving his opinion of trades that he thinks should happen

That makes more sense because I couldn't figure out why the heck they'd want to trade those two guys.

I think we are splitting hairs here. Someone stated earlier why fix something that isn't broken. And right now with Trent Baalke's track record, I wouldn't want to trade for an overpriced player who may or may not start.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think we are splitting hairs here. Someone stated earlier why fix something that isn't broken. And right now with Trent Baalke's track record, I wouldn't want to trade for an overpriced player who may or may not start.

I keep hearing this..."why fix something that isn't broken"...nothing is actually "broken" right now, but there's no denying we're very thin at WR and we have to have some sort of passing game to keep balanced and keep Gore/Hunter free to do their thing.

Regarding WR, we're really hoping Edwards' knee holds up (no guarantee) and he can get right back into the offense and produce. Also, with Crabtree's foot being uncertain and with Morgan gone this year, can we really afford to move on without at least taking a look at a good potential #2 or #3 WR? We all know Ginn's limitations as a dependable NFL WR (this past Sunday was an example...was he just not getting open?). And Williams...he might have had one pass thrown his way this past game? Swain is a complete unknown (and unproven). I know we're going to rely on our TEs to catch more passes...we need more depth at WR as we have a shot THIS year to do some real damage given our coaching and the talent on this team.
Originally posted by stunder49:
why would you try to fix something that is not broken?

Exactly. I would say resist the urge. We've got one of the youngest teams in the league. Harbaugh is plugging in young talent and making it work. Don't mess with what is working just fine. Let the Raiders trade away high draft picks for a QB who never got over the shock of losing his kneecap in a playoff game. Keep our picks. Draft wisely.

Resist the urge Baalke! RESIST!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

We actually offered the Broncos a better package of picks then the Rams gave up but like I said Lloyd told the Broncos he didnt want to come here.

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm curious where you are learning Lloyd vetoed the Niners. I definitely think we are fine without him, but I think the trade would have helped us.

Someone posted it in the lloyd thread, i dont feel like searching for it

BLloyd is a FA at the end of the season. he wanted to go to a team where he would be the #1 to showcase his talents. he knew that BE was coming back and he'd only be a #3 here at best.

It's quite obvious that Lloyd is more interested in posting numbers than winning games.

The Rams air it out more, and lose games because they give the ball back to the other team too quickly. The way he gets paid is with highlight reel catches on Sports Center and big production numbers.

Lloyd would start complaining after 2 weeks (including the Bye) for not getting enough targets.

Harbaugh football is based on defense, ball control, and opportunistic passing. I think that he views 40+ pass attempts as evidence that the game plan has failed.
Share 49ersWebzone