There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

ballin on a budget! we didnt over spend and we got everything we needed. excellent job
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I think to grade Baalke's FA work, one has to look at each position and determine if there has been an overall upgrade or downgrade due to a signing or loss.

Hence, here is how I would grade Trent...

QB Because a third QB has not been added yet, he gets an incomplete here.

RB Only camp fodder added. No upgrade or downgrade (no U or D).

OL No significant FA signings. May need another vet body before the season starts but as of now...no U or D.

WR I don't think anyone can argue that with Edwards signing, this is a big upgrade.

TE Adding Reuland and Cloherty were good moves, especially considering the injury to Byham....upgrade.

DL Although it is still unknown how much losing Franklin will affect the defense overall, I think it is safe to say that this position has taken a bit of a hit, even with the addition of Ian Williams...downgrade.

LB Even though Spikes is a loss in terms of leadership, the team replaced Lawson, a solid starter, with Aldon Smith through the draft and added some good depth with Grant and Applewhite. I think the group has been upgraded but at this stage, let's give this a break even grade...No U or D.

CB Even if you think the addition of Rogers offsets the loss of Clements, this unit has not been hurt. Personally, I feel this unit is better now because of Rogers but for the sake of argument...no U or D.

S Adding Whitner and Williams give the group more leadership and talent so I feel this unit is better overall, even considering the loss of Goldson...upgrade.

Overall, I feel only one unit on the team has been really hurt in the FA period thus far and that is the DL, and the team may still take a step or two to improve it. With upgrades at WR, TE, and S, one would have to give Trent at least a solid B grade. I give him a B+ because I think he also slightly upgraded the CB position. Nice job overall.


- GOOD POST.......I like to add on what you posted plus you missed a few.

Ian Williams - Is looking like a great pick up on the NT spot. I'm hoping that Sopoaga can be a good NT, but we shall see. The last time he tried it, he wasn't that good, but that was a long time ago. Also I think Soaps was wasted as a DE. That guy would not be good in screens. I think Ray Mcdonald becoming a starter is key. The guy is fast and can play the run and rush the passer.

Aldon Smith - You can say we upgraded the DL and LB by picking him.

David Akers - Nedney is a big loss, and right away Baalke signs one of the best kickers in the league. Great pick up.

Dashon Goldson - I actually met Dashon Goldson in LA. I think the guy has got BIG HEAD disease. Supposedly the Niners offered Goldson more money than Ray McDonald and he got 20 Million.....so I think the guy is getting bad advice. It sucks that he is now forced into a position and has to go elsewhere, but at least the 49ers weren't being cheap. I'm hoping that Reggie Smith can be our interception FS.

Overall Baalke is doing a fantastic Job. I admit I was a little bit pissed in the beginnnig of FA, and when Joseph and Ndami signed.....I was really concerned that we weren't going to get Carlos Rogers and then that started the Domino affect.

I think too that changing some of the leaders (Clements, Spikes, Franklin, Goldson) gives the 49ers a chance to forge their new identity and move forward and not cling to last years defense. I'm hoping for a PASS RUSH this year. It's been a really long time since we had any "consistent" pass rush. (Charles Haley was the last real threat).

Thanks for chiming in OldSchool... You make some good points too...and pointed out a big oversight on my part, namely, the special teams. (I also corrected my original post slightly after some added thought)...

ST This part of the team has been really upgraded through the draft and partially through free agency. Applewhite and Grant should help a lot.....big upgrade.

Cheers!!
Baalke did as good of job as expected. Nothing truly to get excited about but I do believe he replaced players with pretty much same skill set to even maybe a little better. I was unhappy losing Bass but we replaced him nicely. For the FAs that left well everyone is replaceable.
The nice thing about not overpaying this offseason is that we have a chance to try out these new FA additions in the new schemes. If the flourish, they get paid, if they don't they get gone. The FO isnt locked in to paying players for sub par performance for the next 3 years. They brought stability and leadership to the line and safety position for the next 3 years.

Guys like Rogers and Edwards, who have the potential to be good/great for us but needed a change of scenery in hopes to elevate their career get a one year tryout. Rogers may leave, but if Edwards gets back to his pro-bowl form he isnt going anywhere.
He did exactly what he said they would do.
Originally posted by 5280High:
The nice thing about not overpaying this offseason is that we have a chance to try out these new FA additions in the new schemes. If the flourish, they get paid, if they don't they get gone. The FO isnt locked in to paying players for sub par performance for the next 3 years. They brought stability and leadership to the line and safety position for the next 3 years.

Guys like Rogers and Edwards, who have the potential to be good/great for us but needed a change of scenery in hopes to elevate their career get a one year tryout. Rogers may leave, but if Edwards gets back to his pro-bowl form he isnt going anywhere.


This
OK.... now I'm up to a "B" maybe even a "B+" with Goldson coming back. Talent wise the Defense is as good or better (Whitner + Rogers are definite upgrades). If Aldon Smith has the kind he is showing in training camp then it will be fun to watch.

What's with all the 1 year deals though? Next year we'll have a huge crop of FA's including most of those signed this year. Rogers, Goldson, Edwards - potential high impact players - will all be FA's again next year. Will Baalke continue to negotiate and add some years to the deals or is 2012 going to be a "rebuilding" year?
In his first official season as GM:

-petitions to get Singletary fired
-hires the most coveted offseason coach
-goes against convention to draft Aldon Smith (in the running for DROY)
-drafts Culliver in the 3rd round. Again highly criticized pick that seems to be paying major dividends
-drafts a college DE to play FB. Gets laughed at. The conversion seems to be working well
-gets the best CB in the league this year in FA, at a very minimal price
-gets Braylon Edwards for essentially free
-signs solid starting FS who may be our FS of the future
-locks up McDonald and pins him as the starting DE. Many see McDonald as a bench player. Playing at a pro-bowl level
-lets Franklin walk. Again criticized. New NT playing at an even higher level


Lets give this guy some well deserved credit
We have. We are. We did.

He has done an an A+++ job so far.
Now, Baalke, get Edwards, Smith and the others re-signed!
Originally posted by English:
Now, Baalke, get Edwards, Smith and the others re-signed!

x2! With all the 1 year deals on the team, I hope we can get most of them to resign
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
In his first official season as GM:

-petitions to get Singletary fired
-hires the most coveted offseason coach
-goes against convention to draft Aldon Smith (in the running for DROY)
-drafts Culliver in the 3rd round. Again highly criticized pick that seems to be paying major dividends
-drafts a college DE to play FB. Gets laughed at. The conversion seems to be working well
-gets the best CB in the league this year in FA, at a very minimal price
-gets Braylon Edwards for essentially free
-signs solid starting FS who may be our FS of the future
-locks up McDonald and pins him as the starting DE. Many see McDonald as a bench player. Playing at a pro-bowl level
-lets Franklin walk. Again criticized. New NT playing at an even higher level


Lets give this guy some well deserved credit

im thinking you met to say that rogers was the best f/a cornerback in the league--rogers has been a great pickup but i cant see him being the best cb in the league this year
Plus David Akers !!!!

Agreed. Through week six it's clear he made far far more correct decisions than incorrect. Many moves ridiculed at the time have been on the money.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
In his first official season as GM:

-petitions to get Singletary fired
-hires the most coveted offseason coach
-goes against convention to draft Aldon Smith (in the running for DROY)
-drafts Culliver in the 3rd round. Again highly criticized pick that seems to be paying major dividends
-drafts a college DE to play FB. Gets laughed at. The conversion seems to be working well
-gets the best CB in the league this year in FA, at a very minimal price
-gets Braylon Edwards for essentially free
-signs solid starting FS who may be our FS of the future
-locks up McDonald and pins him as the starting DE. Many see McDonald as a bench player. Playing at a pro-bowl level
-lets Franklin walk. Again criticized. New NT playing at an even higher level


Lets give this guy some well deserved credit

I don't remember Culliver being highly critisized, or anyone that laughed at us for Bruce Miller besides some online haters but everything else is spot on. Baalkes the man. If he keeps it up he can tea bag me with his Ballkes, Anthony Davis style.
Totally agree! He's the Man.