There are 197 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Originally posted by WWFGD:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Is it just me or does Trent Baalke always have this look on his face that says "don't fu¢k with me". It's like a thousand yard stare that could pierce the soul of any agent at a negotiating table.

Trent has done a great job in free agency in my opinion. He has filled all of our big holes without overspending. That is all you could ask for from a GM.

Trent could f*ck your mother and there would be nothing you could do about it. It would be a 1 year contract with no guarantees. Stone cold.

lol i can see him and stone cold steve austin throwing back a beer togather after that!!!
I believe Baalke will save some money to resign the players he sees produce to longer contracts before they become free agents. Now there were no player except Baas that fit that description last year but there might be quite a few this next year.
I gave him a F for losing Franklin and Clements. The Edwards and Whitner grabs raised it up to a C-. I still dont think we will recover from Franklins loss but Clements is easily fixed with a aggressive pass rush. Ill be changing this again if we can get veteran NT later on.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
I gave him a F for losing Franklin and Clements. The Edwards and Whitner grabs raised it up to a C-. I still dont think we will recover from Franklins loss but Clements is easily fixed with a aggressive pass rush. Ill be changing this again if we can get veteran NT later on.

If he can stay healthy I think you will be surprised how well Sopoaga does as Franklins replacement. Rogers will be an upgrade over Clements. Whitner, Goodwin and Edwards were not only great signings but filled big needs. Baalke is doing a great job.
I think to grade Baalke's FA work, one has to look at each position and if there has been an overall upgrade or downgrade due to a signing or loss.

Hence, here is how I would grade Trent...

QB Because a third QB has not been added yet, he gets an incomplete here.
RB Only camp fodder added. No upgrade or downgrade ( no U or D).
OL May need another vet body before the season starts but as of now, no U or D.
WR I don't think anyone can argue that with Edwards signing, this is a big upgrade.
TE Adding Reuland and Cloherty were good moves, especially considering the injury to Byham....upgrade

DL Although it is still unknown how much losing Franklin will affect the defense overall, I think it is safe to say that this position has taken a bit of a hit.....downgrade.
LB Even though Spikes is a loss in terms of leadership and the team loses a pretty solid starter in Lawson, the team has added some good depth with Grant and Applewhite (and a possible stud in Aldon Smith). I think the group has been upgraded but at this stage, let's give this a break even grade (No U or D).
CB Even if you think the addition of Rogers offsets the loss of Clements, this unit has not been hurt. Personally, I feel this unit is better now but for the sake of argument...(no U or D).
S Again, adding Whitner and Williams give the group more leadership and talent so I feel this unit is better overall, even considering the loss of Goldson....upgrade.

Overall, I feel only one unit on the team has been really hurt in the FA period thus far and that is the DL, and the team may still take a step or two to improve it. With upgrades at WR, TE, and S, one would have to give Trent at least a solid B grade. I give him a B+ because I think he also slightly upgraded the CB position. Nice job overall.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Aug 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Is it just me or does Trent Baalke always have this look on his face that says "don't fu¢k with me". It's like a thousand yard stare that could pierce the soul of any agent at a negotiating table.

Trent has done a great job in free agency in my opinion. He has filled all of our big holes without overspending. That is all you could ask for from a GM.

Trent could f*ck your mother and there would be nothing you could do about it. It would be a 1 year contract with no guarantees. Stone cold.

He'd tell you, he has a plan and now he's executing it...close the f*ckin door!

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I think to grade Baalke's FA work, one has to look at each position and if there has been an overall upgrade or downgrade due to a signing or loss.

WR I don't think anyone can argue that with Edwards signing, this is a big upgrade.
TE Adding Reuland and Cloherty were good moves, especially considering the injury to Byham....upgrade

DL Although it is still unknown how much losing Franklin will affect the defense overall, I think it is safe to say that this position has taken a bit of a hit.....downgrade.
LB Even though Spikes is a loss in terms of leadership and the team loses a pretty solid starter in Lawson, the team has added some good depth with Grant and Applewhite (and a possible stud in Aldon Smith). I think the group has been upgraded but at this stage, let's give this a break even grade (No U or D).
CB Even if you think the addition of Rogers offsets the loss of Clements, this unit has not been hurt. Personally, I feel this unit is better now but for the sake of argument...(no U or D).
S Again, adding Whitner and Williams give the group more leadership and talent so I feel this unit is better overall, even considering the loss of Goldson....upgrade.

Overall, I feel only one unit on the team has been really hurt in the FA period thus far and that is the DL, and the team may still take a step or two to improve it. With upgrades at WR, TE, and S, one would have to give Trent at least a solid B grade. I give him a B+ because I think he also slightly upgraded the CB position. Nice job overall.

Very nice look at each position of the team and I agree. I think Harbaugh will make this a very competitive, fast and hungry team every time they take the field

- GOOD POST.......I like to add on what you posted plus you missed a few.

Ian Williams - Is looking like a great pick up on the NT spot. I'm hoping that Sopoaga can be a good NT, but we shall see. The last time he tried it, he wasn't that good, but that was a long time ago. Also I think Soaps was wasted as a DE. That guy would not be good in screens. I think Ray Mcdonald becoming a starter is key. The guy is fast and can play the run and rush the passer.

Aldon Smith - You can say we upgraded the DL and LB by picking him.

David Akers - Nedney is a big loss, and right away Baalke signs one of the best kickers in the league. Great pick up.

Dashon Goldson - I actually met Dashon Goldson in LA. I think the guy has got BIG HEAD disease. Supposedly the niners offered Goldson more money than Ray McDonald and he got 20 Million.....so I think the guy is getting bad advice. It sucks that he is now forced into a position and has to go elsewhere, but at least the 49ers weren't being cheap. I'm hoping that Reggie Smith can be our interception FS.

Overall Baalke is doing a fantastic Job. I admit I was a little bit pissed in the beginnnig of FA, and when Joseph and Ndami signed.....I was really concerned that we weren't going to get Carlos Rogers and then that started the Domino affect.

I think too that changing some of the leaders (clements, spikes, franklin, Goldson) gives the 49ers a chance to forge their new identity and move forward and not cling to last years defense. I'm hoping for a PASS RUSH this year. It's been a really long time since we had any "consistent" pass rush. (Charles Haley was the last real threat).

good post and I agree. Who knows, with RayMac out there more we might be better on the DL too. I wish we couldve kept Franklin and benched Soap for Raymac. Would've gave us depth and a better combo IMO
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

Ian Williams - Is looking like a great pick up on the NT spot. I'm hoping that Sopoaga can be a good NT, but we shall see. The last time he tried it, he wasn't that good, but that was a long time ago. Also I think Soaps was wasted as a DE. That guy would not be good in screens. I think Ray Mcdonald becoming a starter is key. The guy is fast and can play the run and rush the passer.

David Akers - Nedney is a big loss, and right away Baalke signs one of the best kickers in the league. Great pick up.

Dashon Goldson - I actually met Dashon Goldson in LA. I think the guy has got BIG HEAD disease. Supposedly the niners offered Goldson more money than Ray McDonald and he got 20 Million.....so I think the guy is getting bad advice. It sucks that he is now forced into a position and has to go elsewhere, but at least the 49ers weren't being cheap. I'm hoping that Reggie Smith can be our interception FS.

Overall Baalke is doing a fantastic Job. I admit I was a little bit pissed in the beginnnig of FA, and when Joseph and Ndami signed.....I was really concerned that we weren't going to get Carlos Rogers and then that started the Domino affect.

I think too that changing some of the leaders (clements, spikes, franklin, Goldson) gives the 49ers a chance to forge their new identity and move forward and not cling to last years defense. I'm hoping for a PASS RUSH this year. It's been a really long time since we had any "consistent" pass rush. (Charles Haley was the last real threat).

Great post, I didn't think of it in the way of bringing some new guys to kind of change the attitude and culture along with Harbaugh and his coaches

ballin on a budget! we didnt over spend and we got everything we needed. excellent job
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I think to grade Baalke's FA work, one has to look at each position and determine if there has been an overall upgrade or downgrade due to a signing or loss.

RB Only camp fodder added. No upgrade or downgrade (no U or D).

OL No significant FA signings. May need another vet body before the season starts but as of now...no U or D.

TE Adding Reuland and Cloherty were good moves, especially considering the injury to Byham....upgrade.

DL Although it is still unknown how much losing Franklin will affect the defense overall, I think it is safe to say that this position has taken a bit of a hit, even with the addition of Ian Williams...downgrade.

LB Even though Spikes is a loss in terms of leadership, the team replaced Lawson, a solid starter, with Aldon Smith through the draft and added some good depth with Grant and Applewhite. I think the group has been upgraded but at this stage, let's give this a break even grade...No U or D.

CB Even if you think the addition of Rogers offsets the loss of Clements, this unit has not been hurt. Personally, I feel this unit is better now because of Rogers but for the sake of argument...no U or D.

S Adding Whitner and Williams give the group more leadership and talent so I feel this unit is better overall, even considering the loss of Goldson...upgrade.

Dashon Goldson - I actually met Dashon Goldson in LA. I think the guy has got BIG HEAD disease. Supposedly the Niners offered Goldson more money than Ray McDonald and he got 20 Million.....so I think the guy is getting bad advice. It sucks that he is now forced into a position and has to go elsewhere, but at least the 49ers weren't being cheap. I'm hoping that Reggie Smith can be our interception FS.

I think too that changing some of the leaders (Clements, Spikes, Franklin, Goldson) gives the 49ers a chance to forge their new identity and move forward and not cling to last years defense. I'm hoping for a PASS RUSH this year. It's been a really long time since we had any "consistent" pass rush. (Charles Haley was the last real threat).

Thanks for chiming in OldSchool... You make some good points too...and pointed out a big oversight on my part, namely, the special teams. (I also corrected my original post slightly after some added thought)...

ST This part of the team has been really upgraded through the draft and partially through free agency. Applewhite and Grant should help a lot.....big upgrade.

Cheers!!
Baalke did as good of job as expected. Nothing truly to get excited about but I do believe he replaced players with pretty much same skill set to even maybe a little better. I was unhappy losing Bass but we replaced him nicely. For the FAs that left well everyone is replaceable.
The nice thing about not overpaying this offseason is that we have a chance to try out these new FA additions in the new schemes. If the flourish, they get paid, if they don't they get gone. The FO isnt locked in to paying players for sub par performance for the next 3 years. They brought stability and leadership to the line and safety position for the next 3 years.

Guys like Rogers and Edwards, who have the potential to be good/great for us but needed a change of scenery in hopes to elevate their career get a one year tryout. Rogers may leave, but if Edwards gets back to his pro-bowl form he isnt going anywhere.
He did exactly what he said they would do.
Share 49ersWebzone