LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by PTulini:
AdamSchefter: 49ers committed $16M in 2011 to K David Akers, CB Carlos Rogers, C Jonathan Goodwin, S Donte' Whitner, WR Braylon Edwards, and S Medieu Williams. The Raiders committed $16M to S Michael Huff.

poor schefy, he spelled Madieu wrong, oh well, I give him a pass, he is the best in the business, and he has been at it nonstop.

Don't blame Schefter, that was me! I tried to spell the names out.
[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 4, 2011 at 7:06 PM ]
AdamSchefter: 49ers committed $16M in 2011 to K David Akers, CB Carlos Rogers, C Jonathan Goodwin, S Donte' Whitner, WR Braylon Edwards, and S Medieu Williams. The Raiders committed $16M to S Michael Huff.

poor schefy, he spelled Madieu wrong, oh well, I give him a pass, he is the best in the business, and he has been at it nonstop.

jk, loving the NT vibe right now, it could be fleeting or it could be lasting, but at least we have some optimism.

He upgraded and still saved $$$... He did a good job and needs to be vindicated...
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

He upgraded and still saved $$$... He did a good job and needs to be vindicated...

seriously, i guess nobody believed him when he said we were gonna be patient in FA

tsk tsk tsk, next time use other tabs, and check 49ers.com for the roster, that'll be all. lol.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I wonder how many times people are going to post this tweet? lol

well...I came here expecting to post it also. lol.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'll say A- now. B+ at least.

OTC that is a nice change in your perspective.

I think Baalke has done a wonderful job especially in holding to his view of what needed to be done. I think that is the mark of a good GM, to get as much info as possible from your staff, develop a plan, go over and over it, refine it and then put it into effect. He also calculated that the fan base would not be open to his plan and he did it anyway. Now Harbaugh has the players now it is his time to do something with the players. But if Baalke's plan works out Harbaugh will get it done. Baalke and Harbaugh are a team inside of the team.

I also think if we can dump Mays it will be another feather in Baalke's cap. It will also inform the other players that we expect productivity and name, position, or where you were selected in the draft is not what you will be judged on but productivity.

So I think that all of the holes have been addressed and upgraded to some degree. I also think that the "non-productive" players have been removed and we can go forward with a fresh slate, so to speak. So I give Baalke an A for all of his plan and I don't think he is done just yet. If he could trade Crabtree, and get Floyd it would be another big move. If he doesn't trade Crabtree and got Floyd for 3 Million it would another step. I would also like to see another CB but we may see some development out of the other younger players. So still an A and I hope to see more of Baalke's plan.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
A+ - Thought it would be too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by niners9ers:
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
49ers committed $16 mil in 2011 to Akers, Rogers, Goodwin, Whitner, Edwards, Williams. Raiders committed $16 mil in 2011 to Michael Huff.

Looks Like Baalke Does Have A Plan

I saw that also. Puts things in perspective. I don't agree that Baalke had/has a plan, I think he got lucky and was able to snatch Whitner away from Cincy at the last min. Trying to claim "it was all apart of the plan" is BS

It's amazing how ignorant of simple economics some people are by saying that all these signings were not part of the "plan."

When a market is over-flooded with sellers, as this year was with free agents due to the opting out of the CBA last year that caused a lot of 4 year vets to miss FA, it causes the market to be soft. When a market is soft, that means there are more sellers than there are buyers, so a lot of quality sellers (FA's) would be left after the initial frenzied rush. Not only that, but you are more likely to get good value, since those sellers are desperate to sell their product and are willing to take less for their services.

Whereas some teams over-paid for the services of players because they got caught up in the FA rush or are looking to corner-the-market in FA to "buy a championship," the Niners, who have a new system (HC, GM, etc.), waited and capitalized on the value left behind, thus not only getting the most for their money, but also getting players that would normally demand more in a normal market year, with the option to extend or re-sign these players after this year if they preform very well because they will have the cap to do so, since they didn't waste it on flashy names.

Signing Asomungha for a crazy price would have been "sexy," but for just $4mil more than his $12mil/year tag, the Niners got a pretty good SS, a very good WR, a very good center, a good corner, and some other important contributing pieces. That is what this team needs right now, not a large splashy name, but to fill holes and replace Nolan/Singletary guys with Harbaugh/Baalke guys.

It's never smart to over-pay someone. You have to put a value on their service and then try to get the best deal... it will pay-off in the end.

It's all part of the plan. Simple.

Wow, so that's what complete dominance looks like. Well played, sir . Some folks would rather be right than happy, and some would rather be cynical than hopeful. People decided to dislike Baalke when he was included in the mix for the GM job, and people were mad that Jed didn't go to the Colts or Pats FO for the hire. Whatever, time to move on. We have the guy we got, and he is doing a good job. There is a way to interpret ANYTHING in a negative way. If that's your deal, have at it. I actually enjoy my life and my team, and I think Harbaalke is gonna be a good team for years to come.

.....................AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by niners9ers:
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
49ers committed $16 mil in 2011 to Akers, Rogers, Goodwin, Whitner, Edwards, Williams. Raiders committed $16 mil in 2011 to Michael Huff.

Looks Like Baalke Does Have A Plan

I saw that also. Puts things in perspective. I don't agree that Baalke had/has a plan, I think he got lucky and was able to snatch Whitner away from Cincy at the last min. Trying to claim "it was all apart of the plan" is BS

It's amazing how ignorant of simple economics some people are by saying that all these signings were not part of the "plan."

When a market is over-flooded with sellers, as this year was with free agents due to the opting out of the CBA last year that caused a lot of 4 year vets to miss FA, it causes the market to be soft. When a market is soft, that means there are more sellers than there are buyers, so a lot of quality sellers (FA's) would be left after the initial frenzied rush. Not only that, but you are more likely to get good value, since those sellers are desperate to sell their product and are willing to take less for their services.

Whereas some teams over-paid for the services of players because they got caught up in the FA rush or are looking to corner-the-market in FA to "buy a championship," the Niners, who have a new system (HC, GM, etc.), waited and capitalized on the value left behind, thus not only getting the most for their money, but also getting players that would normally demand more in a normal market year, with the option to extend or re-sign these players after this year if they preform very well because they will have the cap to do so, since they didn't waste it on flashy names.

Signing Asomungha for a crazy price would have been "sexy," but for just $4mil more than his $12mil/year tag, the Niners got a pretty good SS, a very good WR, a very good center, a good corner, and some other important contributing pieces. That is what this team needs right now, not a large splashy name, but to fill holes and replace Nolan/Singletary guys with Harbaugh/Baalke guys.

It's never smart to over-pay someone. You have to put a value on their service and then try to get the best deal... it will pay-off in the end.

It's all part of the plan. Simple.

You couldn't have said put it any better, you are exactly correct.
pretty much nailed it. stayed cool and calm, while others lost their head.

spending huge money on aso would have been ill advised. our window will come when harbaugh has his qb. and now i trust baalke to do what is needed when the time comes.

i believe.
  • dj43
All of these recent signings are upgrades from last season.

Rogers = better cover man than Clements.

Whitner = better than Goldson

Williams = better than "who?"

Edwards = better than Crabtree who was never close to a #1. At least Edwards has played like a #1 in the past.

Goodwin = better than Baas.

Add in the fact that Aldon is looking very strong as a pass rusher in practice...and this looks MUCH better than a week ago.

Still a long way to go before this team catches up with the rest of the league but at least these developments look well managed and positive.
Originally posted by dj43:
All of these recent signings are upgrades from last season.

Rogers = better cover man than Clements.

Whitner = better than Goldson

Williams = better than "who?"

Edwards = better than Crabtree who was never close to a #1. At least Edwards has played like a #1 in the past.

Goodwin = better than Baas.

Add in the fact that Aldon is looking very strong as a pass rusher in practice...and this looks MUCH better than a week ago.

Still a long way to go before this team catches up with the rest of the league but at least these developments look well managed and positive.

i still dont think we have a true #1 but we have 3 #2 who are good at different things

crabtree perfect fir for WCO makes great cuts and hands CAN be good (just inconsistent but i think it was chemistry issues from not practicing with smith)

braylon has speed and good hands

morgan is a great possesion WR

also dont forget VD and delante
Share 49ersWebzone