There are 293 users in the forums

So who starts at corner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
According to Barrows at last training camp practice, the starting corners were Trumain Brock and Tarrell Brown. Yikes!

Can't wait to see that matchup with Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards (probably going to happen), Sidney Rice and Mike Williams.

Here is a preview:
1st Down- Holding, defense
1st Down- Pass Interference, defense
1st Down- Illegal contact, defense
Touchdown- Kolb to Fitzgerald

A one-play TD drive.

"Be patient". We have a "plan".

Well you know dude sometimes when a team like this is in the running you can actually find true "Diamonds in the Rough". There are alot of players in NFL History who became great because they were just given the chance. With the right coaching a team can pull together and be great. Did you know Champ Bailey, Deion Sanders, and Asomuagah all bleed the same blood as Brock and Brown? Coaching does wonders my friend. As the words of Jim Harbaugh "The fans are throwing this TEAM under the bus". Just hopefully we end up with Rogers and people come back out under the debbie downer stage.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by 8to80:
I'm really worried. Corner has been a weak area for us. Now, with Clements gone, it is even weaker. Spencer is, at best, a nickel CB. There is a big ? with Culliver because he's a rookie who has durability concerns (although he is very athletic).

Yes, I said we needed Clements. He was our only legitimate starter. He's definitely not worth $15 mil nor is he even close to being a shutdown corner. But, at least he filled a huge hole that we have.

Looks like the Yorks got what they wanted: they hired the best coach to appease the fans so that they can spend money on the stadium and not the players.

Dude Spencer has been our best CB the past 2 years.

With the new CBA, they have to spend at least $110 million out of the $120 million cap.
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by 8to80:
I'm really worried. Corner has been a weak area for us. Now, with Clements gone, it is even weaker. Spencer is, at best, a nickel CB. There is a big ? with Culliver because he's a rookie who has durability concerns (although he is very athletic).

Yes, I said we needed Clements. He was our only legitimate starter. He's definitely not worth $15 mil nor is he even close to being a shutdown corner. But, at least he filled a huge hole that we have.

Looks like the Yorks got what they wanted: they hired the best coach to appease the fans so that they can spend money on the stadium and not the players.

Dude Spencer has been our best CB the past 2 years.

With the new CBA, they have to spend at least $110 million out of the $120 million cap.

Not until 2013.
Joselio Hanson or Dwaine Carpenter

In actuality though we need to bring in a CB, Carlos Rogers or Brent Grimes. Culliver IMO is not ready to start, and Philip Adams? We wont be seeing any improvement in our pass defence if that is the case.
Originally posted by CR49ers:

In actuality though we need to bring in a CB, Carlos Rogers or Brent Grimes. Culliver IMO is not ready to start, and Philip Adams? We wont be seeing any improvement in our pass defence if that is the case.

Wasn't Philip Adams pretty decent before the injury. I thought for a couple games he looked like our best corner.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by CR49ers:

Wasn't Philip Adams pretty decent before the injury. I thought for a couple games he looked like our best corner.

He definitly looked the part when given his opportunities. He should get his chance for playing time.

Clements regressed seemingly every year, and made unforgivable mental mistakes for a veteran of his caliber. Even if FA's like Grimes or Rogers come in they will be an upgrade. His play was pretty bad this year (the juke in seattle, the PI penalty vs the Rams, almost every play in green bay)... rookies make those mistakes not veterans. Better to throw Adams or Culliver in there and let them get better through growing pains than watch Nate continually get worse and lose any possible progress.
Originally posted by VA9erfan:
me...

im on the other side...
I've always been okay with Spencer...he isnt flashy but its solid...but my goodness if we really want to win were going to need another starter.
Does the Supp. Draft still exist under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement? If it does, we should go after Janoris Jenkins from Florida.
The answer lies in Fangio's style of play and schemes.

Look what Geen Bay did with unknowns Sam Shields and Travian Williams.

If Fangio wants guys who can cover, man-for-man, for x seconds, with specific, tight safety help, Donatel will coach them up to do it.

If Fangio wants a maniac outside blitzer from the CB position, Donatel will coach-up the right guy to do it.

If Fangio wants a stud run stuffer on one side, Donatel will coach-up the right guy to do it.

What Fangio and Donatel cannot do, is manufacture a true shutdown CB, and there are no more such CB's to be had in FA. The coaching course is now set. Look for more of a 4-man orchestrated dance among the 4 DB's on the field, rather than one-on-one responsibilities. It will be on Fangio to out-manuever those Offensive Coordinators, who are trying to creat one-on-one isolation plays. Maybe the club gets its Patrick Peterson in Next year's draft, to create more defensive flexibility.

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
According to Barrows at last training camp practice, the starting corners were Trumain Brock and Tarrell Brown. Yikes!

Can't wait to see that matchup with Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards (probably going to happen), Sidney Rice and Mike Williams.

Here is a preview:
1st Down- Pass Interference, defense
1st Down- Illegal contact, defense
Touchdown- Kolb to Fitzgerald

A one-play TD drive.

"Be patient". We have a "plan".

Well you know dude sometimes when a team like this is in the running you can actually find true "Diamonds in the Rough". There are alot of players in NFL History who became great because they were just given the chance. With the right coaching a team can pull together and be great. Did you know Champ Bailey, Deion Sanders, and Asomuagah all bleed the same blood as Brock and Brown? Coaching does wonders my friend. As the words of Jim Harbaugh "The fans are throwing this TEAM under the bus". Just hopefully we end up with Rogers and people come back out under the debbie downer stage.

Bailey, Sanders and Asomugha were all first rounders. The level of talent difference is astronomical from the current Niners's CB's.
Originally posted by jimbagg:

If Fangio wants guys who can cover, man-for-man, for x seconds, with specific, tight safety help, Donatel will coach them up to do it.

If Fangio wants a maniac outside blitzer from the CB position, Donatel will coach-up the right guy to do it.

If Fangio wants a stud run stuffer on one side, Donatel will coach-up the right guy to do it.

What Fangio and Donatel cannot do, is manufacture a true shutdown CB, and there are no more such CB's to be had in FA. The coaching course is now set. Look for more of a 4-man orchestrated dance among the 4 DB's on the field, rather than one-on-one responsibilities. It will be on Fangio to out-manuever those Offensive Coordinators, who are trying to creat one-on-one isolation plays. Maybe the club gets its Patrick Peterson in Next year's draft, to create more defensive flexibility.

Truth, it also lies on the offensive side of the ball. If the niners score more it makes the other team more predictable on offense and will help out the defense.

Being 24th in passing defense in a division whose best QB (arguably) was a rookie on the worst team in the NFL the previous season... can't really get much worse. Now that Clements is gone people have flip flopped and are overating him. Ever since the year he got injured returning punts, he has been a liability and just unaware of where he is on the field.

There is no excuse for the first play of this highlight.

Just one of many TD's he was directly accountable for, let our rookies & first years go in and make those bushleague mistakes so they can learn from them... not an overpaid vet.

[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 1, 2011 at 18:48:22 ]

Agree and nice post
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agree and nice post

I got to admit Jim, reading that got me a little excited. You should work for the Niner's PR department.
adams and spencer would be my bet6
Share 49ersWebzone