LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

Bill Walsh (1931-2007)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Peerless.
Walsh has earned his spot among the greatest NFL coaches of all time. He changed the way the game was played. For that, and that alone, he will never be forgotten. Forget about the countless young lives that he molded -- just his work on the field alone was enough.

But the players who played for him will continue to carry this man's torch until they take their last breaths.

How long has it been since Vince Lombardi coached an NFL game? Has anyone forgotten him?

Walsh will never be forgotten. Never.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Hands down the G.O.A.T. of coaching.......

and a great human being who contributed, like all the great Niners, to as much off the field as he did on it.

Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
He's rolling over in his grave right now!

No longer. The torch has finally been passed.

But Bill Walsh will be remembered.
Too young for the days of Walsh (became a Niner fan during early 90's at age 7 or 8--Seifert era) but how I wish I could have witnessed the team during those days.

Regardless of being too young, Walsh is a legend and from all the footage I've seen, he genuinely seemed like a humorous down-to-earth guy.

RIP and may the torch be passed down to our current mastermind, Harbaugh.
Greatest football coach ever. We miss you Bill. Wish he was still around to see these young, talented 49ers today.
5 years. Unbelievable. I met him as a kid and he was the epitome of a gentleman. RIP, Coach. The greatest ever.
GOAT
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Thank you Bill for ALL the great memories! You will always be remembered as the best HC to ever coach the game!

I vote that we rename the lombardi after Walsh...the "walsh" trophy!

never forgotten.
What can I say that you guys haven't already said? One of the best coaches of all time, just a great human being, a true legend and he will never be forgotten. A piece of him lives on through guys like Holmgren, Shanahan, Reid, so many other coaches and players as well as our very own Jim Harbaugh. I hope he is watching down on this team and I think he would be really proud of the players and the coaches.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

100% this,I cried like a baby that day.tears in my eyes now as I type.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Too young for the days of Walsh (became a Niner fan during early 90's at age 7 or 8--Seifert era) but how I wish I could have witnessed the team during those days.

Regardless of being too young, Walsh is a legend and from all the footage I've seen, he genuinely seemed like a humorous down-to-earth guy.

RIP and may the torch be passed down to our current mastermind, Harbaugh.

You missed one hell of a time.

I consider it an honor that I was alive to witness Walsh's coaching, Montana's QB play, Rice's WR play and the rest of the great players that we had.

Super Bowl XXIII is still my favorite football game and that was Walsh's last game.
Share 49ersWebzone