There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Didn't brown get an almost starters contract last yeaR? or the year before? So obviously somebody has faith in him, I think our F.O is going to roll with what we got.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by JustMike:
In just a few short days, we all went from being happy that football is back, to bickering over the front office and this free agency. But instead of seeing this as a failure as some have suggested, maybe this is the plan.
Maybe this teams personel is very much all wrong for the kind of team Harbaugh and co. are wanting to build. We have had nearly a decade of horrible to mediocre football, instead of trying to build little by little and trying to turn a group of players 180 degrees, why not blow it up and build from scratch?
If you think about it, it actually makes a lot of the moves, thus far, add up:
Alex Smith: better a vet with little chance to succeed take the lumps during the mass transition.
Releasing some vets: out with the old and in with youth, to be trained in their earliest stages of there careers.

This is my thinking, it may be flawed or right on the money. I think its a risky move and I am for it, I would rather this team set itself up for a long stretch of success than a inconsistant run with lots of bumps in the road.

What do you people think?

I'm starting to think now that they are really trying to blow things up. A complete overhaul if you will, ala what Nolan did in his first couple years.
When nolan came in our team was full of trash, our team isnt full trash right now.. so lack of moves is very disturbing.

iwas going to post the same thing. nolan took over a 2-14 ball club and our best players was... well i cant even remember. we have a few superstars on our team currently.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Because it's the FANS who know what they're doing, not Harbaugh, Fangio, Donnatell or others. I'm sure Baalke is acting alone without any input from the coaching staff and they are all just watching as they're held captive by Baalke and Marathe.
Originally posted by 190836:
Some fans are trying to be optimistic and relate this melt down to Walsh's 78-79 era. I like Harbaugh, but he is no Bill Walsh and Jed is not his uncle Eddie. I am wondering what is behind this lack of commitment to improvement of the roster. Are they trying to clear house? Do they really believe in the players that they have? Is Harbaugh's ego so big that he thinks he could win with this team?

So chicken and egg here - how did you know Bill Wash was a "genius" before 1981? How did you know Eddie DeBartolo (who wanted to fire Walsh at one time) was a good owner until the end of 1984? It's funny that most of the questions you're raising are nearly identical to the questions people asked about Walsh. Do I think Harbaugh is Walsh? Maybe - maybe not. However, I'd be okay with a Sean Peyton.

However, since no game has been played and we aren't even looking at a complete roster with the start of the FA signing period being yesterday, I'd say the team is far from the "we believe we can win with this team" assumption.

You and I been going over this for a while. Let me explain this to you in a simple way, so you can understand. I've been watching this team for over thirty five years. No one new if Bill Walsh was a genius when he was hired by Eddie. And yes, I know about Eddie wanting to fire Walsh back in the day. Like I have mentioned earlier. My problem is not so much with Harbaugh. But I do have a problem with Jed and John York. Any intelligent person should question the direction of this organization under this family. Its only fair. You on the other hand, dogmatically defend this ownership that have brought a losing culture and misery to this team. How many years has it been since we had a winning season? How many years has it been since we were in playoffs? I get what you are saying about the Yorks not being the ones who do the drafting and setting the roster. But they are the owners, they set the tone. Its their corporate culture that trickles down throughout the whole organization. If this thing doesn't work the way they expect it to work, what is your excuse then? So far our losses has been grater than our gains. Don't you think so? Try to look at this from a different perspective.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
I'm just pissed because we haven't gotten any better from last year, to me it appears we have gotten worse by a big shot. I guess I'll try and be patient and hope we can get some players in here. It just sucks when you lose 7 or so starters and don't replace them with players that are any better. I'll try and keep patient we still gotta wait for Goldson to decide and maybe after that we will become more active. We need to add a lot of bodies. We also need to add some starters. There's no doubt about that.

Very true and we're watching the best FA class in the history of the NFL pass us by!
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:
I'm just pissed because we haven't gotten any better from last year, to me it appears we have gotten worse by a big shot. I guess I'll try and be patient and hope we can get some players in here. It just sucks when you lose 7 or so starters and don't replace them with players that are any better. I'll try and keep patient we still gotta wait for Goldson to decide and maybe after that we will become more active. We need to add a lot of bodies. We also need to add some starters. There's no doubt about that.

Very true and we're watching the best FA class in the history of the NFL pass us by!

We will sign T.O for teh Vet Minimum is my guess.

I'd be down if T.O. could run a route. I'm thinking it's pretty hard to do that though on a torn ACL
Originally posted by Lifer:
In just a few short days, we all went from being happy that football is back, to bickering over the front office and this free agency. But instead of seeing this as a failure as some have suggested, maybe this is the plan.
Maybe this teams personel is very much all wrong for the kind of team Harbaugh and co. are wanting to build. We have had nearly a decade of horrible to mediocre football, instead of trying to build little by little and trying to turn a group of players 180 degrees, why not blow it up and build from scratch?
Alex Smith: better a vet with little chance to succeed take the lumps during the mass transition.
Releasing some vets: out with the old and in with youth, to be trained in their earliest stages of there careers.

This is my thinking, it may be flawed or right on the money. I think its a risky move and I am for it, I would rather this team set itself up for a long stretch of success than a inconsistant run with lots of bumps in the road.

I've been watching the York-49ers flounder for 11 years now. I used to see see them do these inexplicable things and think "They must know what they're doing, right? There's got to be some larger plan and grand strategy that they're working on... right?"

Nope. They're just floundering. Like they always do. Year, after year, after year.

They make some good moves from time to time. But they always follow the good moves with some brainless inaction that robs all the momentum. It's always one step forward, two steps back. The 49ers were close this year. They had a reasonably talented roster and they hired a great young coach. On defense especially, they were only a couple players away from being legitimate. So what do they do? Gut the defense. Jettison 4-5 starters (Clements, Lawson, Spikes, Franklin, maybe Goldson) while only having a plan to replace two of them (Bowman and Sopoaga), then sit back and hope that things will magically work out somehow. Then they have the gall to get in front of the microphones and say "We're gonna be patient. We believe in building through the draft."

Well, it's been 10 years and they still haven't built anything. Probably the best RB in 49er history is nearing the end of his career and he's never seen the playoffs; never had a winning season. The same fate is looming for Willis and Vernon Davis: squandering the best years of their football playing lives waiting for the York-49ers to get it all together.

Building a football team is not necessarily a matter of patience. There is a time for patience; and there is a time for urgency. Player careers are short. When you get a good core of good players, like we have (had) on defense, there's only a small window of opportunity.

Plain and simple, we need new owners. And there ARE people out there who want to buy a pro football team.

I'd be down if T.O. could run a route. I'm thinking it's pretty hard to do that though on a torn ACL

sources say he will likely be out till nov and that would be quick for a 37 year old man.
Originally posted by area49:

I've been watching the York-49ers flounder for 11 years now. I used to see see them do these inexplicable things and think "They must know what they're doing, right? There's got to be some larger plan and grand strategy that they're working on... right?"

Nope. They're just floundering. Like they always do. Year, after year, after year.

They make some good moves from time to time. But they always follow the good moves with some brainless inaction that robs all the momentum. It's always one step forward, two steps back. The 49ers were close this year. They had a reasonably talented roster and they hired a great young coach. On defense especially, they were only a couple players away from being legitimate. So what do they do? Gut the defense. Jettison 4-5 starters (Clements, Lawson, Spikes, Franklin, maybe Goldson) while only having a plan to replace two of them (Bowman and Sopoaga), then sit back and hope that things will magically work out somehow. Then they have the gall to get in front of the microphones and say "We're gonna be patient. We believe in building through the draft."

Well, it's been 10 years and they still haven't built anything. Probably the best RB in 49er history is nearing the end of his career and he's never seen the playoffs; never had a winning season. The same fate is looming for Willis and Vernon Davis: squandering the best years of their football playing lives waiting for the York-49ers to get it all together.

Building a football team is not necessarily a matter of patience. There is a time for patience; and there is a time for urgency. Player careers are short. When you get a good core of good players, like we have (had) on defense, there's only a small window of opportunity.

Plain and simple, we need new owners. And there ARE people out there who want to buy a pro football team.

if we had tom brady on the niners last year we would have went deep into the playoffs with the yorks as our owner. we need good coaching and solid players. the only thing the yorks do is write checks.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Because it is increasingly more obvious, daily, that Trent has no idea what he is doing. Let's stop making excuses for him. There appears to be no real plan, and we continue to be blindsided by player personnel matters, whether in the draft or free agency.

The Nate Clements debackle is just another example. Is he cut, or not cut? Yes, no, yes. Oops, we didn't get Nnamdi. Oops, we didn't get Joseph. Oops, we didn't get Marshall. Oops, Kelly Gregg gone.

It is becoming more comical daily.

P.S. Hell, we have one of the nicest, least "me" players in the NFL, Frank Gore, holding out. That is all you need to know.

I agree. Stepping back, it is absolutely astonishing that a team as bad as the 49ers has lost 7 starters and not signed a single free agent to replace them. And Alex Smith is our biggest issue...jesus christ. Somehow I think Smith could put similar numbers to Kolb up if he had spent his career as a back-up in Philly instead of a starter here.

The only way this team is saved is if Harbaugh works a miracle (not likely), or some of these rookies turn into pro bowls in year 1 (highly unlikely). I've gone from sad to pissed off at this franchise.

[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jul 30, 2011 at 15:14:17 ]

If I ever see you in a bar, I'm buying you a few rounds of beer......

My favorite post of the day.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 30, 2011 at 15:18:47 ]

But, but I thought his agent said he was almost fully healed....
The plan is to finish last and grab Luck in the draft for a 5 yr $23mil deal. Luck starts, backed by Kap then Alex or if Alex has a decent year trade him for a B- free agent to plug a need.
Nnamdi and Joseph wanted to win now and went to better teams because of it. Why should we throw tons of money at them with are QB situation the way it is? What did the Nate Clements deal get us?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Because it's the FANS who know what they're doing, not Harbaugh, Fangio, Donnatell or others. I'm sure Baalke is acting alone without any input from the coaching staff and they are all just watching as they're held captive by Baalke and Marathe.

Because it can't be Baalke's fault for this ridiculous offseason....please....there is no doubt in my mind that I could run this team a lot better than this front office can....